• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Andy have a fault in his game?

He really has a very complete game.

Arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, sneaky elusive, leadership….But the biggest thing: bro is cerebral.

He reads the defense very quickly, quickly goes through his progressions, delivers a great ball with great mechanics and just does not make a bad decision. Maybe a handful of times where he got away with something over the last 3 starts but nothing egregious. 

I can’t think of a glaring weakness or somewhere he really needs to up his game. He is far from being a JAG. He’s a very complete QB and under appreciated. He’s not Mahomes, Brady or Brees, but Andy will win you football games. With Thielen, this team puts 14 more points on the board today. 

He’s got that old man strong. 

Mobility and pocket awareness are his two biggest weaknesses from the 2 games I’ve watched this year. I remember watching him in Cincy back in the day tho and back then it was ball security he would go a little too gunslinger and turn it over. He was coached by Marvin Lewis tho so who knows, Canales is prob the best QB Coach he’s ever had in his career and might be able to push him to a level better later in his career like he did with both Geno and Baker 

• Pie 2

Pump the brakes now. Dalton is a very good veteran QB, but let's not act like he's the second coming of Dan Marino. But to be fair with how awful the QB play has been by the young QBs over the last few years (Stroud excluded) I think some of these veterans certainly do look a lot better.

• Pie 1

Definitely some throws he would love to have back but thats every game for most QBs. He isnt gonna be perfect dont expect him too be. What I focus on is that he is rarely making bad decisions which is what I like the most. 

Everybody saying teams will figure him out once it's more tape but not seeing that at all yet so I'm good. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE

Andy Dalton is the Adam Theilen of QBs.  Which is why both are where they are today.  They aren’t bad.  They aren’t NFL good either in the year 2024.  They are both experienced players that can clear a certain bar of play 

• Pie 1

You guys are loosing your mind. All old azz Dalton is doing is winning us 7 games or so and keep us from rebuilding. Tepper has broken our fans so bad they fill his stadium and are happy as pigs in mud for a team that looks ok loosing to a 0-3 team.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Andy Dalton is the Adam Theilen of QBs.  Which is why both are where they are today.  They aren’t bad.  They aren’t NFL good either in the year 2024.  They are both effective players 

If Dalton isn't good right now then half the other qbs in the league must really suck. 

• Pie 4

Dalton bigly missed some today but most QBs do this regularly. He is less prone to being streaky with it due to poor mechanics. So a miss is just a miss on that play. 

He wasn't real sharp but also he had no AT which was the glue guy that made the rest of it work. Things are not as in synch without him, at last not yet. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Deltek44 said:

You guys are loosing your mind. All old azz Dalton is doing is winning us 7 games or so and keep us from rebuilding. Tepper has broken our fans so bad they fill his stadium and are happy as pigs in mud for a team that looks ok loosing to a 0-3 team.

Lamar was the 32nd pick. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Up until two weeks ago he spent a year being a backup to  BY.  There are reasons he wound up there.  Putting that aside,  so far he has looked damn good for us. 

The reasons are that everywhere else he has been on a team with a young qb the team invested in so he wasn't gonna play much similar to here unless it was a injury. It's just bryce was that bad you couldn't keep putting him out there to hold everybody else back.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If Dalton isn't good right now then half the other qbs in the league must really suck. 

Dalton isn’t a good NFL QB. Adam Theilen isn’t a good WR.  They are veterans, they can show up and be relied on, and give you a certain caliber of play.   

or maybe you have a lower bar of what good is than I.  Good for me, is the tier right below Mahomes.  The great tier.  Dalton is a vet JAG.  Like how Flacco can show up at 88 years old and do basics for a team.  Flacco isn’t good. 

there aren’t a lot of good QBs.  Tons trying to develop young QBs.  Potential. 

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

He really has a very complete game.

Arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, sneaky elusive, leadership….But the biggest thing: bro is cerebral.

He reads the defense very quickly, quickly goes through his progressions, delivers a great ball with great mechanics and just does not make a bad decision. Maybe a handful of times where he got away with something over the last 3 starts but nothing egregious. 

I can’t think of a glaring weakness or somewhere he really needs to up his game. He is far from being a JAG. He’s a very complete QB and under appreciated. He’s not Mahomes, Brady or Brees, but Andy will win you football games. With Thielen, this team puts 14 more points on the board today. 

He’s got that old man strong. 

He has adequate tools and the wisdom from being a long time starter. Been around. The right combination -the declining (edit: but still good enough) skills and knowledge acquired from years of playing, works. It can work for years. 

adding: That is how those guys, now without the top tools, can still play. And Bryce without the top tools, can't. The way the came to those tools was from a different direction. 

Edited by strato