• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Feeling Undeniably Optimistic

This is a bad team that is lacking a lot of talent particularly on defense.  But the offense with Dalton is competitive, compelling and fun to watch. Two weeks ago we had no heartbeat. This week and last week I actually enjoyed watching Panther football. 

Don’t like losing and don’t like moral victories but we can see the warts, evaluate players and scheme then prioritize what to fix. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Hope is legit now, no longer manufactured propaganda based off nothing.

Just to be looking at the defense as our problem is a huge step away from the suckage of the Bryce Young era.

Overall you can't be unhappy with what we have seen the last two weeks, even counting today which wasn't great.

11 minutes ago, strato said:

Hope is legit now, no longer manufactured propaganda based off nothing.

Just to be looking at the defense as our problem is a huge step away from the suckage of the Bryce Young era.

Overall you can't be unhappy with what we have seen the last two weeks, even counting today which wasn't great.

The offense isn't flawless either. Still room to improve there. This roster is at least 2-3 years from being a competitor but there is a small glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel suddenly.

It's important that we just keep building on it and not end up tearing it all down again, as we are wont to do under Tepper.

Edited by kungfoodude

3 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Anxious to see Brooks added to that foundation. That’s another reason to be intrigued.

I was saying most of the year that the halfway point would be a place to expect the OL and the offense in general to be refined and synced up to be looking like what they could be. That counts time for Brooks to get back and tested. 

And that was with Bryce. This seems to have been accelerated with Dalton.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure there is really enough to qualify as a foundation. But I see blueprints, at least. 

Semantics... call it an architect if you want to. It's kind of an analogy thing anyhow. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

Semantics... call it an architect if you want to. It's kind of an analogy thing anyhow. 

Yeah, the biggest hurdle is really going to be the FO finally earning our trust. If that happens, I think the ascent out of this abyss can be started in earnest. 

3 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

So yea, we lost, but as many have said theres ways to lose that still provide hope and optimism.  THIS game was one of those.  At the end of the day, even though we're rocking a 36 year old QB, this is a very young team that has to learn how to win.  Think about the 2 XL drops, Mingo drop, the dropped fake punt.  Those are plays that veteran winning teams make, but we ARENT there...yet.  XL showed some explosion on the outside that is super exciting, chuba and dare I say Miles Sanders actually looked good.  On defense we are sorely missing Brown, and they were undeniably rough today, BUT, I remember thinking if there was a time they needed to show some "keep pounding" it was right after Shaq and Jewel went out, and the VERY next play the rush got to burrow and we got the turnover.  It was legitimately the first time in years I yelled "Keep pounding", that was an attitude play.  Also for all the bad on defense, Horn still looks like he does have that dawg in him. 

End of the day as we all know, winning in the NFL mostly comes down to a handful of plays, and it really depends on if you convert those opportunities, and right now with our youth we arent, BUT that will change with experience.

Keep Pounding.

Well put, I feel the same way. I think the opening drive goaline stand helped set the tone for the Bengals, who were entering a game that was a MUST win for them. Plus, lets face it, when Burrow is healthy they are aurguably one of the best teams in the league, they were just off to a slow start this season. Offensively, we hung with those guys, just look at the stats.

Defensively, didn't we make some off season aquisitions at edge rusher, not including Clowney? Where are those guys? We need a consistent pass rush more than anything. The Bengals only had 11 yards rushing at the half, but the Panthers should maybe look to sign some help at DT, particularly someone that can get some push up the middle. I think our secondary is arguably one of the best int he league honestly.

And we need one of those young LB's we drafted to emerge as a playmaker, Our whole "Keep Pounding" mantra was predicated on great LB play. And yes, we had some edge rushers that helped with that too, but we need another Linebacker great to emerge.

The greatest optimisim is Dave Canales. You can just see how fluid his system is and how hard the players seem to be playing for him. Canales HAS the locker room! I feel that we finally have us a head coach!

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

You know we're taking this loss better than I can remember us taking one in a long time.

There is no freak out. We're left still feeling good about the team.

I think things have changed.

My whole attitude towards the team has flipped.  I was angry and jaded.  Hypercritical and easily triggered at every little mistake because we didn’t look like a NFL team.

We look like one now and I no longer feel anger when I see a mistake.  I can accept it for what it is and look forward to the next opportunity.  It’s like a switch flipped.  I believe we’re on to something here boys.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Dragoon11 said:

Well put, I feel the same way. I think the opening drive goaline stand helped set the tone for the Bengals, who were entering a game that was a MUST win for them. Plus, lets face it, when Burrow is healthy they are aurguably one of the best teams in the league, they were just off to a slow start this season. Offensively, we hung with those guys, just look at the stats.

Defensively, didn't we make some off season aquisitions at edge rusher, not including Clowney? Where are those guys? We need a consistent pass rush more than anything. The Bengals only had 11 yards rushing at the half, but the Panthers should maybe look to sign some help at DT, particularly someone that can get some push up the middle. I think our secondary is arguably one of the best int he league honestly.

And we need one of those young LB's we drafted to emerge as a playmaker, Our whole "Keep Pounding" mantra was predicated on great LB play. And yes, we had some edge rushers that helped with that too, but we need another Linebacker great to emerge.

The greatest optimisim is Dave Canales. You can just see how fluid his system is and how hard the players seem to be playing for him. Canales HAS the locker room! I feel that we finally have us a head coach!

I know DJ Wonnum is still on IR with the quadricep injury, and K'Lavon Chaisson got cut for being trash before the season.  I am interested to see if Jaden Crumedy can make any impact when he returns, would be nice to have another hit from the draft even if he's just developmental depth, cuzz we need the depth right now. The Linebackers are where I'm afraid, but its gonna be Trev Wallace's chance to make a name.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I know DJ Wonnum is still on IR with the quadricep injury, and K'Lavon Chaisson got cut for being trash before the season.  I am interested to see if Jaden Crumedy can make any impact when he returns, would be nice to have another hit from the draft even if he's just developmental depth, cuzz we need the depth right now. The Linebackers are where I'm afraid, but its gonna be Trev Wallace's chance to make a name.

I'd assume we bring Deon Jones back if Josey is out  long.