• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

32nd(last) ranked defense

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

We knew this going into the season. I don’t get what the fuss is about 

We went all in on the OL to help our QB. 

I said elsewhere, if not a QB I’m going LT or WR in the 1st round in 2025.

McMillan/Burden

Banks/Campbell

we got to stop drafting wrs that high

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

We knew this going into the season. I don’t get what the fuss is about 

We went all in on the OL to help our QB. 

I said elsewhere, if not a QB I’m going LT or WR in the 1st round in 2025.

McMillan/Burden

Banks/Campbell

Icky is actually playing well this year. I’m not sure I’d move on from him yet…

• Flames 1

18 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Many. Recently, Snow had 3 rookies, a weak run defending DL and a garbage secondary led by Shaq as the only average LB. This defense is by far better than Snows roster. It may still be better than Snows roster with the injuries if not the same.

We spent the entire 2020 draft on defense. Not even comparable.

13 of our defensive players are currently injured or on IR. Let’s be real here. It’s actually impressive we haven’t given up points on every drive so far.

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

To those who are staring we “gutted” the defense. Do you think Burns is much better than Clowney? Is Dante Jackson much better than Mike? That just leaves Luvu who we tried to retain but he wanted to play for Quinn. We tried to replace him with Jewell. Luvu was decent but I don’t think losing him “gutted” our defense. It’s two things IMO.

1. Our defense was overrated last year. Our offense couldn’t score so most teams just ran down the clock after they got a decent lead. 

Just going to opine that the defense needed more not less, which is reflected in point '1'. They took and did not replenish, however it is described with various words. 

I put this elsewhere but if bears consideration, for perspective. Just copied it to here.

----

2022/23/24 draft picks 3rd round and higher... it went deeper, but the most impactful is 3rd and higher.

Offense: 

4 1sts,

3 2nds, probably more it is so convoluted

1 3rd

DJ Moore 

Defense

2 3rds are the highest picks used for D. Over three drafts. 

And doesn't address the Burns subtraction and booty reallocation.

It shows the path we have been on. For the defense, it's Casey Jones at the wheel, headed down that mountain with no brakes. 

Edited by strato

4 minutes ago, strato said:

Just going to opine that the defense needed more not less, which is reflected in point '1'. They took and did not replenish, however it is described with various words. 

I put this elsewhere but if bears consideration, for perspective. Just copied it to here.

----

2022/23/24 draft picks 3rd round and higher... it went deeper, but the most impactful is 3rd and higher.

Offense: 

4 1sts,

3 2nds, probably more it is so convoluted

1 3rd

DJ Moore 

Defense

2 3rds are the highest picks used for D. Over three drafts. 

And doesn't address the Burns subtraction and booty reallocation.

It shows the path we have been on. For the defense, it's Casey Jones at the wheel, headed down that mountain with no brakes. 

Again this isn't gutting a defense during the offseason.  We replaced Burns with Clowney, YGM with Wonnum, paid out to retain DB, signed Dane Jackson to replace Dante, signed Fuller to replace Bell, signed Jewell to replace Luvu.  Half of those are considered upgrades.  The draft is going to be skewed because we traded up and went all in on a QB.  We wanted to rent a defense in FA and build an offense.  Clearly it didn't work...

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Again this isn't gutting a defense during the offseason.  We replaced Burns with Clowney, YGM with Wonnum, paid out to retain DB, signed Dane Jackson to replace Dante, signed Fuller to replace Bell, signed Jewell to replace Luvu.  Half of those are considered upgrades.  The draft is going to be skewed because we traded up and went all in on a QB.  We wanted to rent a defense in FA and build an offense.  Clearly it didn't work...

Well, damn. Will you agree to Underfunding the defense?

Because if not I struggle to align with your argument. 

The bottom line is the Panthers. Don’t get enough pressure with their front floor. the secondary has been doing OK but without pressure it’s just a matter of time. Evero can try to scheme and blitz to generate pressure, but he’s putting a Band-Aid on a broken leg.

The best we can hold for is to try to generate turnovers or hope the quarterback makes a mistake. 

Edited by countryboi

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So with the shaq news it appears in the 2025 off season just for the defense we need.

2 Linebackers

Dline depth

2 pass rushers minimum

1 starting corner

and probably 2 safeties  

we do have some cap space opening up in 2025

I think we draft an edge early (if not our first pick) to pair with Clowney his final year.  Wallace will be one LB and we either use Jewell his last year or try to sign another one.  I'm curious to see how Dane Jackson looks as Morgan has been high on him and we can keep him through 2025 if he looks decent.  We absolutely need depth and every position. I doubt it can be fixed in one offseason. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think we draft an edge early (if not our first pick) to pair with Clowney his final year.  Wallace will be one LB and we either use Jewell his last year or try to sign another one.  I'm curious to see how Dane Jackson looks as Morgan has been high on him and we can keep him through 2025 if he looks decent.  We absolutely need depth and every position. I doubt it can be fixed in one offseason. 

pass rusher is the #1 priority for sure, still would like to trade down if the option is there and thats all up in the air if Tepper wants another qb

Jewell is just a body, doesnt particularity stick out to me but yeah he is at least there.  Havent seen anything from Wallace yet but his opportunity just got green lit

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, strato said:

Well, damn. Will you agree to Underfunding the defense?

Because if not I struggle to align with your argument. 

Yeah we paid out for our OL.  Dalton is cheap, Chuba is cheap, our weapons are cheap, Young is on a rookie contract.  Hunt and Moton are eating a chunk of our salary, but honestly the $51 million in dead cap is what is making everything out of wack.  Moton is making a lot because we pushed his money back, we paid out for Hunt, and just paid DB (earned money).  

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

pass rusher is the #1 priority for sure, still would like to trade down if the option is there and thats all up in the air if Tepper wants another qb

Jewell is just a body, doesnt particularity stick out to me but yeah he is at least there.  Havent seen anything from Wallace yet but his opportunity just got green lit

In the past Jewell is a 100 plus tackles player in Evero's defense.  He hasn't looked like it this year so far and he also got hurt already...

As i said in another thread, what are people expecting?

the price paid in salary cap and draft choices to get and support young is quite measurablE 

it was extremely high and not done yet

..continuing with most likely pick 32 to 35 this year 

Im not for drafting any qbs this coming year  do it the right way  fix this team  create the culture   Find the qb that fits it

…bottom line, cant give a DC a moldy can of spam and expect prime filet mignon to be the dish served

• Pie 1