• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

32nd(last) ranked defense

11 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Gutted a defense to help a qb thats on the bench. Panthers gonna panther

I mean look at Burns this year. Hes not worth what hes being paid. Losing Brown is big, Panthers just need to concentrate solely on defense next draft and offseason. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Not saying Evero is the answer as long term DC, but the defense was more than adequate last year despite having a god awful offense constantly putting them into terrible spots.

It wasn't.  Teams just didn't have a reason to attack us.  Teams played us hella conservative.  Teams combined for 481 pass attempts against us.  The next closest was 506 (Cardinals).

When teams actually needed to put up points against us, they did it with ease.  In the 4 games we scored 20+ points, we gave up 37, 42, 42, and 33 points.  We were dead last in turnovers forced.

This isn't me arguing against Evero.  I still think he's a good DC.  But this defense was behind the rest of the NFL in defensive talent last year, and it has only gotten worse this season.  There is no way I can look at our depth chart and think this defense stands a chance.  This is definitely the worst front seven in Panthers history.  And no Shaq or Jewell?  It is about to get even worse.  I was impressed that we got the stops that we did yesterday.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, Mage said:

It wasn't.  Teams just didn't have a reason to attack us.  Teams played us hella conservative.  Teams combined for 481 pass attempts against us.  The next closest was 506 (Cardinals).

When teams actually needed to put up points against us, they did it with ease.  In the 4 games we scored 20+ points, we gave up 37, 42, 42, and 33 points.  We were dead last in turnovers forced.

This isn't me arguing against Evero.  I still think he's a good DC.  But this defense was behind the rest of the NFL in defensive talent last year, and it has only gotten worse this season.  There is no way I can look at our depth chart and think this defense stands a chance.  This is definitely the worst front seven in Panthers history.  And no Shaq or Jewell?  It is about to get even worse.  I was impressed that we got the stops that we did yesterday.

This might be the worst front seven I've seen in the NFL since 1995.

• Beer 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

This might be the worst front seven I've seen in the NFL since 1995.

I said all offense this is a bottom 5 defense and could easily be the worst in the nfl with a couple of injuries and alas here we are.  And quite frankly I am not sure where you even start to try and fix this.  Keep trading back in the first to acquire picks over the next couple drafts seems to be the most realistic but fug man I dont know. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I said all offense this is a bottom 5 defense and could easily be the worst in the nfl with a couple of injuries and alas here we are.  And quite frankly I am not sure where you even start to try and fix this.  Keep trading back in the first to acquire picks over the next couple drafts seems to be the most realistic but fug man I dont know. 

It's not complicated.  Just draft BPA and build.  I think we should go EDGE early this year if it makes sense with our pick(s).  Gotta build a pass rush before anything else is going to work.  We have an offense that can score points.  We have to be able to get to the other team's QB.  Horn and Jackson have been good in the secondary.

• Pie 1

I'm sure I'm about to get a ton of poop emojis, and that's fine, but we gotta chill on the defensive coaches. 

They literally proved to us they can do it last year. 

The injuries on that side of the ball are becoming insurmountable. The best coaching in the world can't fix that. 

36 minutes ago, Mage said:

Yeah for sure to this top half of your post. poo has nuance that gets overlooked. 

37 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Gutted a defense that wasn't good to begin with.  Statistically you could make the argument that they were decent, but they never passed the eye test.

This is absolutely not true. And You are entitled to your opinion tho.

42 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

I mean look at Burns this year. Hes not worth what hes being paid. Losing Brown is big, Panthers just need to concentrate solely on defense next draft and offseason. 

Yes he isnt worth what he is being paid but I would take Burns right now over what we are getting. Furthermore we were right to trade him but to lay out the context we used those picks to upgrade the offense more than the defense which is the point I'm making.

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Yes he isnt worth what he is being paid but I would take Burns right now over what we are getting. Furthermore we were right to trade him but to lay out the context we used those picks to upgrade the offense more than the defense which is the point I'm making.

I think we should have spread that booty around, too 

To those who are staring we “gutted” the defense. Do you think Burns is much better than Clowney? Is Dante Jackson much better than Mike? That just leaves Luvu who we tried to retain but he wanted to play for Quinn. We tried to replace him with Jewell. Luvu was decent but I don’t think losing him “gutted” our defense. It’s two things IMO.

1. Our defense was overrated last year. Our offense couldn’t score so most teams just ran down the clock after they got a decent lead. 

2. Our defense had little depth and is banged up. DB was our foundation piece and our run defense can’t rebound without him. Dane Jackson was penciled at CB2 before he was hurt, Wonnum should be a capable starter, Tuttle has missed the last couple games (that’s 2/3 of our DL), Fuller had missed the last couple games, and now both Shaq and Jewell are hurt. That’s over half our starters on a team with little depth. 

• Pie 1