• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sit or not to sit for the CPA exam

Ja  Rhule

Why not?

Auditors have a great work/life balance and are paid well. We just hired 2 new agents in my office.

Plus, the IRS was the 47th best place to launch a career according to business week.

I tho you were talking about tax. I'm not a big fan of tax in general. Just not me. IRS audit, I'm alright with.

You are completely wrong on your first point above. Having passed at least part of the exam would be a big positive in this market. It shows not only a proficiency for the material, but a drive and self motiviation that employers want to see. CPA firms do not expect new graduates to have passed the exam. However, if you have been out for 6 - 12 months then taking this initiative would be a definite positive.

You are also completely wrong on point 4. A CPA certification is a BIG deal in private accounting. You will be competing against people who have it. If you don't, you will lose out 90% of the time. As I said in another post, many companies have policies that CPA certifications are required for certain positions....including controllers, accounting managers, finance managers, CFO's, VP Finance, or auditors.

Purchase the Wiley's CPA Review program and self study using the Computer Based Training.

Most of all, keep your spirits up and stay diligent in CPS prep and your job search.

One thing you may want to consider is Graduate School. This is a tough market for new undergraduates. With the high unemployment, you are competing against experienced and seasoned professionals for any position that you will be applying for . That puts you at a disadvantage. I know many people who have gotten student loans and gone back for a Masters of Accountancy or MBA degree. That way, you are better positioned when the market rebounds.

I am sure you mean well in your comments, but you are a recent graduate with absolutely no experience in the finance market place. Your comments and recommendations are little off the mark.

I am a finance/accounting professional with 20 years experience. I have hired hundreds of accounting/finance professionals in my career...and know what is valuable on your resume.

If you were out of school for 6-12 months and interviewing with me for an accounting position 9especially auditor), one of the first questions I would ask is about the CPA exam. If you had not taken the initiative to improve your marketability and skillset by at least preparing for the exam, I would see that as a big negative. Again, it shows that you are not willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals....and I may equate that to not being dedicated.

Thx man, you sound like one of my professors. Thats exactly what they said.

I'm planning on taking 2 parts three weeks apart, in august.

You are completely wrong on your first point above. Having passed at least part of the exam would be a big positive in this market. It shows not only a proficiency for the material, but a drive and self motiviation that employers want to see. CPA firms do not expect new graduates to have passed the exam. However, if you have been out for 6 - 12 months then taking this initiative would be a definite positive.

My point is that becker is very expensive. Close to $5000 when you talk about taking the class, materials, and then taking the test. If he has disposal income then sure, But from our experience not taking Becker has not hindered any of us. Like I said I bought Wiley as away to self study without paying $$$$ especially since I have not signed a deal yet. Also at the firms I interviewed with Becker courses are paid for.

You are also completely wrong on point 4. A CPA certification is a BIG deal in private accounting. You will be competing against people who have it. If you don't, you will lose out 90% of the time. As I said in another post, many companies have policies that CPA certifications are required for certain positions....including controllers, accounting managers, finance managers, CFO's, VP Finance, or auditors.

I think you misunderstood me. If you ENTER private accounting straight out of college then it is not as relevant. Some states will not even give you certification for years practiced in private accounting, therefore you will never be CPA certified. Some states say 5 to 6 years requirement.

I agree that Most companies look for that, that as why most accounting graduates work in public accounting for two years to satisfy their work requirement to get their CPA and then bolt.

I am sure you mean well in your comments, but you are a recent graduate with absolutely no experience in the finance market place. Your comments and recommendations are little off the mark.

I am a finance/accounting professional with 20 years experience. I have hired hundreds of accounting/finance professionals in my career...and know what is valuable on your resume.

Just because I do not have 20 years of experience does not mean that I don't know. I know what it is like as a recent grad in the Market now. I have gone thru the process, my classmates have, and people graduating before me have. I have strong relationships with family members, friends, past co-workers from internships, professors/mentors who are still in the field.

These people have given me the knowledge where I have been able to get multiple offers, and job interviews. I know very well what's what. Like other kids I have followed my dad's footsteps. He's a VP at a major company so I also do know what's going on. He does recruiting from my school and has for years. Your opinions are yours and their fine... doesn't make it anymore correct than mines.

For one, I was going to correct you on UNCC's rep for business school but Madhatter beat me to it. It is very highly-rated.

Secondly, even if you don't go back for your Masters, I'd suggest going back for an additonal major and go part time, even if you don't "need" it. The reason I say this is that UNCC has a great co-op program (which you should have taken advantage of while in school) which they work with local employers to provide work for students in their field. The pay is pretty good too. It can lead to a full-time job sometimes but at least give you some real-world experience in your field. I did this and it definitely helped me when I graduated.

Archived