• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Evidently there's a conspiracy theory being pushed that the government caused the hurricane to force people to sell their land if lithium had been found on it. And yes, some of dumbasses are taking it seriously.

oof

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

i’m going to have to get a generator i guess. there’s been no progress on our road. which is totally fine because they need to help out the more remote areas first and get basic infrastructure working. the support has been incredible in Watauga County. asked a search team on facebook to hike up to a family that works for my restaurant that we haven’t heard from since friday and they got up there and gave them food and water. The police and fireman here have been very accepting of outside help. I’m saddened to hear it’s not the same in other places.

That's awesome. Honestly, it's probably just a few hot heads. Probably the same ones the other cops don't even like. LOL

I have heard them all this week. 

*The hurricane was steered this direction on purpose

*The land is going to be seized the land for quartz/lithium

*It's an effort to keep Asheville turnout low during the election.

*It's an effort to keep red county turnout around Asheville low this election.

Fact is at least to me, it's a 100 year event. Everyone was very unprepared, the response was terrible, and Appalachia once again gets neglected and everyone is looking for somebody to blame.

I have heard some absolute horror stories that I won't share out of respect. If they are true, this event is significantly worse than being portrayed. 

Edited by ProcessBlue2
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'll put it this way: I don't think the government can cause and specifically direct a hurricane to do what is claimed.

At the same time, our fuging (federal) government would be all about it. And you are seeing it (in their actions and inactions).

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

19 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Evidently there's a conspiracy theory being pushed that the government caused the hurricane to force people to sell their land if lithium had been found on it. And yes, some of dumbasses are taking it seriously.

Some people are just powerfully stupid.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

I have heard them all this week. 

*The hurricane was steered this direction on purpose

*The land is going to be seized the land for quartz/lithium

*It's an effort to keep Asheville turnout low during the election.

*It's an effort to keep red county turnout around Asheville low this election.

Fact is at least to me, it's a 100 year event. Everyone was very unprepared, the response was terrible, and Appalachia once again gets neglected and everyone is looking for somebody to blame.

I have heard some absolute horror stories that I won't share out of respect. If they are true, this event is significantly worse than being portrayed. 

Yep, pretty much.

I'm taking a break today. I just don't feel like there's much else I can do. The areas that are accessible have more volunteers than they can effectively utilize and the areas that are inaccessible are pretty much down to the areas that need helicopters to access. Chainsawing your way through this stuff really just isn't feasible in terms of getting to people to help them. In a lot of areas the road bed is completely washed out so you're not getting any vehicle traffic through anyway.

• Beer 1

Guys I want to shift us back from making this too political and to put it in perspective. Today, our friends are helping out past lake lure and sent this….

”There are bodies hanging from trees in this valley in front of us but there is no way to get down there to get them down right now”   How terrible that help can’t even get down there to get folks bodies down from trees because how impassable the terrain still is. Just awful. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

@LinvilleGorge pretty interesting video here on the topic of 1916.  Pretty much the pre-conditions were perfect. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAork9Xpb2R/?igsh=MXNndGdybjFzMmZlag==

Yep. They're using Asheville as the bench mark but 1916 effected areas north of Asheville the heaviest. The sad thing is those same areas that got hammered in 1916 got hammered just as hard as Asheville in this one. I'm afraid the death toll along the North Toe forks in particular is gonna be heavy.

I was talking to a friend who is a Burke County deputy yesterday and they going to have boats on Lake James St the mouth of the Catawba and Linville Rivers starting today because they're legitimately concerned there's gonna be bodies starting to show up. I honestly doubt it. Not because there aren't an any but because - and not to be grim - but because they're likely to end up hung up on deadfall along the way. Steam levels have subsided to the point now that Lake James is probably too far downstream to be getting bodies.

13 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Guys I want to shift us back from making this too political and to put it in perspective. Today, our friends are helping out past lake lure and sent this….

”There are bodies hanging from trees in this valley in front of us but there is no way to get down there to get them down right now”   How terrible that help can’t even get down there to get folks bodies down from trees because how impassable the terrain still is. Just awful. 

oh wow....i can't even imagine.