• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

Panthers Fan 69

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Never thought in a million years this would happen to Western NC of all places.

Still kind of shocked at the flooding considering it was a quick moving storm it didn't stall for 3 days.

Prayers to everyone.

Honestly, mountain floods are the worst. Water runs down hill and all those mountains funnel the water into the valley's and due to the slope the water runs off fast and hard instead of soaking in. You're not just dealing with flood water you're dealing with flood water running hard and fast. I lived in the mountains of CO when they got hammered like a decade ago and that was bad but nothing like this.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The people I know in WNC are largely outside of Boone and Asheville and .gov is nowhere to be seen, per usual.

So are mine and I've seen them in places. There's national guard in the backside of snake MTN on the zionville area near my buddies horse ranch and it's in the middle of fuging no where

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, mountain floods are the worst. Water runs down hill and all those mountains funnel the water into the valley's and due to the slope the water runs off fast and hard instead of soaking in. You're not just dealing with flood water you're dealing with flood water running hard and fast. I lived in the mountains of CO when they got hammered like a decade ago and that was bad but nothing like this.

Oh I forgot about the mountain aspect. Makes sense now how this could cause this kind of flooding. 

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Still kind of shocked at the flooding considering it was a quick moving storm it didn't stall for 3 days.

Prayers to everyone.

To add to what Linville said; the storm did stall of a sort. The precursor frontal boundary stalled and was fed moisture from the storm it rained hard starting Wednesday night and didn't stop and then the storm swept through on Friday

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Prayers to everyone.

It's rather common. In Geology at ASU we did a field trip to various major landslides that are attributed to historic tropical systems.

Mountain floods are common and have huge potential due to the topography and orographic lifting. (Mountains enhancing precipitation)

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One thing that needs to be said here is that virtually all of this aid I'm seeing pour in isn't coming from the government. It's just coming from people. Roads are getting cleared by people like me with a chainsaw and a pickup. All this heavy equipment coming in is private industry stepping up. The vast majority of the helicopters constantly flying overhead delivering aid are private. I don't ever want to see another politician gripping and grinning anywhere around here.

A guy I work with sometimes left the Myrtle Beach area at 6am pulling a 40ft racing trailer full of water headed for NC mountains. On his own dime.

People up there are saying no FEMA really... 

President Joe Biden said Wednesday he's approved the deployment of up to 1,000 active-duty Army personnel to reinforce the North Carolina National Guard in response and recovery efforts following devastating flooding from Hurricane Helene.

"These soldiers will speed up the delivery of life-saving supplies of food, water, and medicine to isolated communities in North Carolina – they have the manpower and logistical capabilities to get this vital job done, and fast," Biden said in a statement.

Source

More from that article I just linked:

The Defense Department has activated 22 helicopters to aid search and rescue operations and provided dozens of high-water vehicles. More than 6,000 National Guard personnel across 12 states are assisting, while 4,800 workers from different parts of the federal government are involved in recovery efforts. That includes 1,200 Federal Emergency Management Agency workers and other federal employees in North Carolina.

FEMA officials said the agency has distributed 8.5 million meals, more than 7 million liters of water, 150 generators and more than 220,000 tarps as part of the hurricane response.