• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

14 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but I was about 10 miles north of Lake Pontchartrain during Katrina helping family. I grew up in a town that was wiped out this past weekend and still live close enough that my family had to relocate to a hotel. There is a huge difference in the response.

Different administration, different budget. Hopefully, this response is much better.

Being a little bit of an EV fanboy, there's a couple of interesting tidbits that I'm seeing on social media:

https://insideevs.com/news/735934/rivian-r1t-flood-hurrican-helene/

This Rivian truck had a pretty rough encounter, but started up, and ran and has been supplying power from it's battery.  That's pretty dope.  I've read where many people with EVs have been using them power their important appliances.  For the larger trucks with the huge batteries, they have been really helpful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/10/hurricane-helene-electric-vehicle-power-outage/680106/

As far as EVs catching fire, I've seen the issue with salt water, not so much the fresh water.

https://apnews.com/article/hurricane-helene-electric-vehicles-fire-flooding-0284e2eb2accc0570361def4e963eda0

I've read some antidotes on reddit about people with solar systems in the mountains helping out their neighbors so that's cool.  It doesn't change the devastation and loss of life experienced in this extreme weather event.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

From what I've seen the "organized" efforts are at least if not more so of a cluster fug than the local grassroots efforts.

You had also said you were in a lesser hit area. From everything I've seen reported, they've gone to the harder hit and larger population center areas.

49 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

You had also said you were in a lesser hit area. From everything I've seen reported, they've gone to the harder hit and larger population center areas.

I've been to Old Fort, Spruce Pine, and Linville helping out. Same story. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Cops and firefighters just standing around barking at people wanting to be in control but doing nothing but yucking it up with each other and smoking cigs. People are basically just telling them to STFU and they keep working. I mean, government in general is just pretty incompetent and inefficient. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've been to Old Fort, Spruce Pine, and Linville helping out. Same story. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Cops and firefighters just standing around barking at people wanting to be in control but doing nothing but yucking it up with each other and smoking cigs. People are basically just telling them to STFU and they keep working. I mean, government in general is just pretty incompetent and inefficient. 

That sucks.  We coming 8n hot Sunday and hopefully there is some order and direction 

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That sucks.  We coming 8n hot Sunday and hopefully there is some order and direction 

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty getting done but for the most part it's in spite of the authorities and not because of them.  

• Pie 1

i’m going to have to get a generator i guess. there’s been no progress on our road. which is totally fine because they need to help out the more remote areas first and get basic infrastructure working. the support has been incredible in Watauga County. asked a search team on facebook to hike up to a family that works for my restaurant that we haven’t heard from since friday and they got up there and gave them food and water. The police and fireman here have been very accepting of outside help. I’m saddened to hear it’s not the same in other places.

• Pie 2