• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

33 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Folks I am finally back online here in Haywood County. I've not ready this entire thread as we have been knocked back to the stone ago here in wnc. But whatever you've heard about the damage up here I can promise you it's much worse.

Bro Im sorry to hear, my friends that have never ask for help, too proud for their own good.... said they need assistance. Dam shame about the starlink, police are using the publics starlinks and generators to help maintain the looters. They had the chance to buy 19,000+ but dumbass divide reasons ended the contract. One of my bros loaded up his Deuce and half and headed west. Hes driven to LA during katia, too good for this world. Cajun navy is down there with donkeys. I read one report form Asheville and person claim to smell the dead bodies. Wish help was there sooner. 

It will never be the same, sorry to all involved.  

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Bro Im sorry to hear, my friends that have never ask for help, too proud for their own good.... said they need assistance. Dam shame about the starlink, police are using the publics starlinks and generators to help maintain the looters. They had the chance to buy 19,000+ but dumbass divide reasons ended the contract. One of my bros loaded up his Deuce and half and headed west. Hes driven to LA during katia, too good for this world. Cajun navy is down there with donkeys. I read one report form Asheville and person claim to smell the dead bodies. Wish help was there sooner. 

It will never be the same, sorry to all involved.  

We are still in search and rescue mode at the moment. But it's more of trying to reach cut off communities and body recovery mode really. Power is starting to come back on slowly around the area and gas lines are starting to disappear. There's still lines at the grocery stores but I here more food is showing up on the shelves now. But that's just near where I live. A majority of towns are having basic supplies flown in by helicopter when the weather allows. Prayers are needed and the world needs to see what's happening on the ground. 

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

We are still in search and rescue mode at the moment. But it's more of trying to reach cut off communities and body recovery mode really. Power is starting to come back on slowly around the area and gas lines are starting to disappear. There's still lines at the grocery stores but I here more food is showing up on the shelves now. But that's just near where I live. A majority of towns are having basic supplies flown in by helicopter when the weather allows. Prayers are needed and the world needs to see what's happening on the ground. 

Biden finally came to RDU, so maybe the big help will be coming. I know roads and bridges keep being a problem and will be for the next years. Awful.

Source- me they dont close 540 for just anybody.

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Biden finally came to RDU, so maybe the big help will be coming. I know roads and bridges keep being a problem and will be for the next years. Awful.

For you:

5 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

President Joe Biden said Wednesday he's approved the deployment of up to 1,000 active-duty Army personnel to reinforce the North Carolina National Guard in response and recovery efforts following devastating flooding from Hurricane Helene.

"These soldiers will speed up the delivery of life-saving supplies of food, water, and medicine to isolated communities in North Carolina – they have the manpower and logistical capabilities to get this vital job done, and fast," Biden said in a statement.

Source

The Defense Department has activated 22 helicopters to aid search and rescue operations and provided dozens of high-water vehicles. More than 6,000 National Guard personnel across 12 states are assisting, while 4,800 workers from different parts of the federal government are involved in recovery efforts. That includes 1,200 Federal Emergency Management Agency workers and other federal employees in North Carolina.

FEMA officials said the agency has distributed 8.5 million meals, more than 7 million liters of water, 150 generators and more than 220,000 tarps as part of the hurricane response.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I think it's virtually impossible to communicate to everyone the potential of these situations. And who would believe it.

I don't know how you build infrastructure to withstand such things.

It's just insane

I keep bringing up katia, cause Im hearing the same pleas for help. That was handled poorly as one could, total failure. 

Past weather reports told many to evacuate, only for the storm to be a whimper in many cases. Many stay behind cause the last 4 times it was nothing and missed our home......then you get a katia or Helene and you wished you and your family had leftd. I dont know if many people have traveled recently but even flea and roach hotels are $ 100 per, I was shocked looking around for a home. Im by myself and it costs around 30-60$(more if boozen) per day to eat&drink and I wear out chick fil a. Some meals I can double up on, but I see the cost if youre talking a family of 4+. I understand why many stay. 

No one foresaw this, myself included and I pride myself with this sort of thing given hard working family has homes on the coast and mountains.....

The government had a contract in place to buy upwards of 19,000 starlinks, but canceled the order for "unknown reasons". They would have been greatly important in this very disaster. Now you got the police using the publics starlinks AND generators to keep law and order while finding missing people. 

• Pie 1

I have decided to leave the coast a few times and went a couple hundred miles in a safe direction where the storm wouldn't follow me, and slept in the car. It doesn't have to be horribly expensive if you rough it. 

The thing about evacuating is people don't want to leave everything they own and not be able to get back in because the police won't let you in. Then you're looted. You add leaving animals into it, it gets to be hard to make yourself go.

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

Actually him coming prevents us from doing our work while he's here. Our drones cannot fly anywhere near his route. But we have contingency plans. My group is part of the disaster response team and most of us have been working 14 to 16 hour days since daybreak Sunday morning. None of us had power or water and little to know communication with the outside world. I just got off the phone with the team lead getting updates. Everyone is spent.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 2

32 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Actually him coming prevents us from doing our work while he's here. Our drones cannot fly anywhere near his route. But we have contingency plans. My group is part of the disaster response team and most of us have been working 14 to 16 hour days since daybreak Sunday morning. None of us had power or water and little to know communication with the outside world. I just got off the phone with the team lead getting updates. Everyone is spent.

I know clean water is at its highest demand, it was getting crazy with Asheville reports for bottle water. Im sorry to ask and know I was lucky to have help before I bought my generator. My father told me- " make sure you buy one that will run your water pump ". Dam near broke me at the time, but I did and years later I wished I bought one bigger. (uncle came from SC to get mine) Can anyone do that in your areas? I know you know about boiling your water after this mess, just a friendly reminder. I dont know your area but there should be springs, just boil. I also heard many of the helicopters were refusing bottle water, but that was a couple days ago.  

Bless you and ham it up, godspeed jon snow.  

I was fortunate I never lost water. We were on a boil advisory until just a couple hours ago we got the alert it was lifted. My folks lost water for three days but they're under a different municipality. As soon as they lost water I bleached all the bathtubs and filled those bitches up. We've just been dipping water out of the bathtubs. If we'd ran out of that I was gonna start boiling creek water instead of boiling whatever sketchiness was causing the boil advisory. I assume sewage contamination. Nah, I'm good. I'll drink creek water.