• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Just got off the phone with my sister. She works for a company specializing in social services in WNC. They have 67 employees unaccounted for.

It’s gonna be maybe some kind of record. Not the kind you want.

I am thinking maybe a number of those just could still be cut off from communicating. I hope.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Folks I am finally back online here in Haywood County. I've not ready this entire thread as we have been knocked back to the stone ago here in wnc. But whatever you've heard about the damage up here I can promise you it's much worse.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The area I'm most concerned about is basically following the forks of the North Toe. Spruce Pine heading north up 19 and Burnsville/Bakersville along 80. I honestly think that's going to be the worst hit area.

I just looked that up. They are fuged. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's relatively sparsely populated but the way the river flows through there I think it's gonna be BAD. Most of the people through there are dirt ass poor too.

Being poor means nothing in this situation. Let's hope they are safe and are getting help.

34 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Folks I am finally back online here in Haywood County. I've not ready this entire thread as we have been knocked back to the stone ago here in wnc. But whatever you've heard about the damage up here I can promise you it's much worse.

That’s what my friends that live in the heart of it say. I was able to make it to old fort and it was terrible. 

I know a guy who knows a first responder from outside Asheville.  The first responder told him they haven't even begun searching in a lot of areas and there are hundreds of un identified bodies already.  I hope it isn't,  but I have a feeling that unfortunately it is true.  Really sad.

Some of the old timers might not have left no matter what.  Remember the guy Harry Truman at Mt St Helens? And the others thinking they were a safe distance, observers, it was just bigger than they realized. 

There are a few pics online of Spruce Pine and that area. Not much. Found a couple of stories on AOL I didn’t know they were still on existence. 

8 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I know a guy who knows a first responder from outside Asheville.  The first responder told him they haven't even begun searching in a lot of areas and there are hundreds of un identified bodies already.  I hope it isn't,  but I have a feeling that unfortunately it is true.  Really sad.

We need helicopters. There's a ton in the air but not enough and I'm not sure how many are doing S&R. There's so many roads washed out and/or hopelessly blocked by down trees that about of isolated mountain communities literally aren't accessible any other way. Cutting your way in with chainsaws really just isn't feasible. It's absolutely pathetic that five days after private helicopters are still outnumbering government by probably 10:1.

1 minute ago, strato said:

Some of the old timers might not have left no matter what.  Remember the guy Harry Truman at Mt St Helens? And the others thinking they were a safe distance, observers, it was just bigger than they realized. 

There are a few pics online of Spruce Pine and that area. Not much. Found a couple of stories on AOL I didn’t know they were still on existence. 

Because they're basically shut off. You can get to Spruce Pine but beyond that you pretty much need a helicopter.