• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

Panthers Fan 69

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Definitely not. Bigger impact because of bigger populations now but definitely not a bigger flood. The 1916 water levels were mind boggling. 

It depends where. The French Broad recorded higher levels than 1916

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/news/update-flood-warning-to-remain-in-effect-until-tuesday/article_e37a20e6-7d90-11ef-8bfb-433c6fef8dee.html

40 minutes ago, Basbear said:

getting a claim paid form water damage, GOODLUCK, even in NC. There are certain areas in FL where you can NOT even buy insurance!! Again Ive been looking to move form VI-FL and found out about companies refusing to do businesses in parts of FL. Ive recently been to fort myers area and thousands of homes had their roofs covered. Cash only deals and I seen why, but brother once I found out you can not even buy the scam insurance.....i dont need to live there. Others areas on the coast had the insurance companies filled bankruptcy, you can imagine the hate those people have.

heres another map, but its not going to have future or mudslides- https://www.nconemap.gov/maps/a178aae74ee347d786e853e5a442eea2/explore?location=35.257262%2C-77.759520%2C12.29

I moved out of Cape Coral after Charlie. 14 days no power in Florida in August is not worth it to me. Just go visit and get the hell out. It's so much worse now. I had a new build that was up to the 150 mph standards and those idiots rolled that back after I left in 2006. I could see them declaring bankruptcy there for sure but I haven't heard of it in NC with the NCIUA and NCJUA system they have set up here on the coast. 

Couldn't get the link to work. I also think they base it on 100 year storms, if I remember correctly, so the 1000 year one they got in the mountains wouldn't show that. I also think I was told the numbers are old and need to be updated but then it would push a bunch of people from good and into the bad sections of the maps but that would have to come down federally and there is too much money in that system to get it done at this time...if I am remembering correctly. 

1 hour ago, strato said:

Some NC rivers ultimately flow to Winyah Bay in Georgetown SC. It is always a delayed flooding thing downstream. 

Winyah Bay is dangerous at those times. And always; really nothing to fool with in general. 

map-of-pee-dee-river-basin.png

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

I spent 15 years living within a mile of the Yadkin river and it would regularly flood the road I traveled in every day. Can't imagine what effect it would have not just from the initial torrential rains here, but as it catches the waters from the flooding in the mountains.

• Beer 1

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

@jayboogieman

The landslide into my creek

PXL_20240927_201407571.thumb.jpg.44927d9875f3bb92dce5e892d0d42714.jpg

So much of the pics you pistook like the 40 acres we used to have up until a year ago. Big storms would always wreak havoc on us and every storm would bring something new, but consistently our pond would flow over (never over our dam thankfully) and we'd have tons of trees blown over that we'd have to clean up. Our driveway would have ruts formed in it that we're always a pain to correct.

I don't envy you the clean up. I've been there many times.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

I spent 15 years living within a mile of the Yadkin river and it would regularly flood the road I traveled in every day. Can't imagine what effect it would have not just from the initial torrential rains here, but as it catches the waters from the flooding in the mountains.

You are welcome. There are probably going to be rural bridge washouts and a lot of high water. There is a section of the Waccamaw river over in Conway SC that floods large numbers of properties just about every time something like this happens. They are all on stilts. 

We didn't get much other than one big band off that hurricane over here but it was pretty strong. But it went through at 30 mph no time to sit and drop a large amount. They'll be flooded in a lot of places downstream. Probably in a couple of days.

Edited by strato