• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

Panthers Fan 69

Man, this is heartbreaking.  I just spent a week near banner elk back in July.    gorgeous country and I love it there.  Always depressed when I have to go back home to the coast.  Have been seriously considered moving there

We have seen these sort of things here in the eastern part of the state with floyd and Florence and fran....and I could keep going and they are terrible.

All I can say is it certainly changes things but it will be built back.  

I un derstand though, hard to think about that when you are currently in the middle of it all.

Edited by pamlicopanther

42 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Screensho(2).thumb.jpg.a0e8c3229bb1ae0a05228493bd7a5e2a.jpg

Fug

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

One of the favorite places for my wife and I to go for several years has been the Asheville/Black Mountain area. We'd go there for anniversary trips and every once in a while take the kids up there. We've been talking about retiring up that way and aside from being expensive we worried about the winter weather, but we love the area so much it would be worth it. Never thought about the effects of flooding there.

Look at the amount of creeks and rivers in the area on this map. That map isn't as clear. So, here's a screenshot.

image.thumb.png.350f3761a64f544b5f9d8194f8599271.png

The area probably should have never been as built up as it was allowed to get.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

One of the favorite places for my wife and I to go for several years has been the Asheville/Black Mountain area. We'd go there for anniversary trips and every once in a while take the kids up there. We've been talking about retiring up that way and aside from being expensive we worried about the winter weather, but we love the area so much it would be worth it. Never thought about the effects of flooding there.

A big part of the reason we love it so much was just because of the people we met up there. So open and welcoming of everyone.

Now so much tragedy. It's a heart breaker for sure

I have friends and family up that way. I was thinking of joining them in a few years. Now I'm not so sure. The cold I think I am ready for. That flooding and mudslides are not. Still waiting to hear from most of them. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Still waiting to hear from most of them. 

Might want to learn how to use smoke signals!😄

Joking aside, hopefully the phone companies will get at least some service back up in a couple of weeks at worst. But as bad as it looks, it might be a while.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Look at the amount of creeks and rivers in the area on this map. That map isn't as clear. So, here's a screenshot.

image.thumb.png.350f3761a64f544b5f9d8194f8599271.png

The area probably should have never been as built up as it was allowed to get.

Goes back to engineering. It's why they built that big ass aqueduct under LV so the city wouldn't wash away. Water has to go somewhere and there it's picking up speed as it descends. Anything grandfathered in from newer changes was just washed away. It cost so much money to build and maintain that it gets hard to get the public behind those kinds of projects. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Might want to learn how to use smoke signals!😄

Joking aside, hopefully the phone companies will get at least some service back up in a couple of weeks at worst. But as bad as it looks, it might be a while.

It's amazing how fast we go back to the basics.

I have no idea. The level of messed up to the level of cost to the level of time it takes to do those kinds of projects is beyond my imagination. I think anyone without flood insurance just got fugged too. It's usually the first thing an agent tries to cut off when they are pitching prices. I had to ask mine and because I have a basement they said it would only cover flood damage at the first floor and above. Freaking scammy system. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I have no idea. The level of messed up to the level of cost to the level of time it takes to do those kinds of projects is beyond my imagination. I think anyone without flood insurance just got fugged too. It's usually the first thing an agent tries to cut off when they are pitching prices. I had to ask mine and because I have a basement they said it would only cover flood damage at the first floor and above. Freaking scammy system. 

I'm afraid people with flood insurance up there will still be fugged. The insurance companies are not going to pay out the tens/hundreds of millions that have been lost. As you said, insurance is a scam.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I'm afraid people with flood insurance up there will still be fugged. The insurance companies are not going to pay out the tens/hundreds of millions that have been lost. As you said, insurance is a scam.

I'm way too familiar. Get a private adjuster and fight them. It will be federal at that level and lots of new SBA loans to cover some of the rest. They need helicopters just to access most of it apparently. I'm sure the glut of info will come in when they get people to better locations...which is a whole other freaking issue. Lots of that is going to be uninhabitable for a while going into winter.

• Beer 1

On 9/26/2024 at 6:57 PM, Jon Snow said:

I'm in the mountains near Asheville NC and we are supposed to get heavy rain on top of the rain we've gotten in the last 24 hours. The storm hasn't even started here yet and there is already flooding everywhere. 

Hope you are doing okay, brother. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Where is the floodwater going?

All the videos of the flooding up there I kept wondering where all that water is going to go.

not to sound like a smartass, but water runs down hill, always has. as my old friend said many times "theres limits to everything".  dam can only hold so much, same for creeks, rivers. It takes time to reach the ocean or absorb into the ground. no matter where you are 40inches of fast down fall is a problem, if in a valley, well not many are ready for a 1,000 year flood.  

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

brother the worst thing these insurance companies do in these cases is file for bank bankruptcy, its happened so much on the coast-line and FL. Then no one gets paid and people stay hella mad the rest theres lives...

• Pie 1