• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really want to go solar but I've done the math forwards, backwards, and sideways and just can't make it make sense. It's a losing proposition no matter how I slice it.

Solar on a roof is an awesome concept but in practice, a big nope. It’ll only begin recouping install cost if it never breaks… and the company hasn’t gone out of business… and if everything else goes ok for the life of the system, and you still live there 10 years later or you’ve found a buyer willing to buy the place. Oh, and hope you don’t need a new roof because good luck finding a roofing company willing to take on the liability. It’s such a freaking cool idea that is fraught with peril. 

And yes, screw the insurance racket. High rate of auto theft in Atl? You live over an hour away? Doesn’t matter. GA is now dubbed a high vehicle theft state, because of what’s going on over an hour away. I have an older Corolla and an old GX with 188,000 miles. Perfect driving records for >15 years and I’m 46. I get eaten alive. 

Big storm? Hail? Nope, looks like previous damage. Out of pocket car money. Roofer even called bs. 

Covid caused material shortages, skyrocketing costs. Rebuild cost goes up, house increases drastically in value, insurance rates rise. Ok, I didn’t like it but I could follow it. Well, material costs are better now. Have rates gone down? lol. Sure. 

Oh, speaking of your property value going up, meet my friend Mr property tax man. 

Sorry for the thread derail 

• Pie 2

Hey a lot of people in the path of that thing are going to be talking about insurance and all that. 

State Farm took our money for years without us making claims. It wasn't cheap.  The first little loophole they could find, see ya. 

Edited by strato

It’s amazing how a company that has made tens of thousands of dollars off of you will nut up the moment you have to beg and demand for some of it back. I’m a pretty right leaning, free enterprise guy but having to deal with the SOB insurance companies in the health care industry…. and what I see happen to people that are barely making it, or not making it at all… the entire insurance racket is just criminal. It’s different when business you’re legally required give money to has unanimous political muscle. 

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I think we got hit by a tornado. It's a warzone. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Looks like I'll probably be stuck at the house without power for days.

PXL_20240927_155512915.thumb.jpg.505808dfd641f275a72f375dad000396.jpg

Take Care Bro— I’m in Randolph Co. Not bad here…Prayers for you guys further West! Stay safe.

Edited by Iceup

2 minutes ago, Thompcat said:

We are supposed to be traveling from Eastern NC down to Columbia SC this afternoon. Does anyone have any idea of the conditions?

The further south you go the better the weather will be. I’d check the route for washouts. 

over on the NE SC coast, it has calmed way down. 

Edited by strato