• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a football thread but y’all be safe

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Insurance companies trying to rip people off? Shocking.

I am on stilts and if the water is high enough to get in the house, the house would be gone from the wind that kind of storm would generate. This place was built when I was three in the '50s. So I pretty much know what I'm talking about, been through Hugo and I know how high that water was. 6 more feet, we have never had that storm. 

They only pay if water is in the house.

Required to have the flood. Don't ask what it costs. 

Edited by strato

8 minutes ago, strato said:

I am on stilts and if the water is high enough to get in the house, the house would be gone from the wind that kind of storm would generate. This place was built when I was three in the '50s. So I pretty much know what I'm talking about, been through Hugo and I know how high that water was. 6 more feet, we have never had that storm. 

They only pay if water is in the house.

Required to have the flood. Don't ask what it costs. 

I gotta figure out a business model where I can get the government to force people to pay me and then work overtime to provide the shittiest service to my customers that I can possibly get away with. That's good work if you can get it.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Everybody should have a backup generator if they can afford it. Large ones should be standard requirements for apartment buildings too.

We considered it when we bought the house because we're over a half mile from the road. Fortunately, it's all buried line from the road so it's really not an issue from there. This is the first time in three and a half years that we've lost power for more than a few minutes.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I gotta figure out a business model where I can get the government to force people to pay me and then work overtime to provide the shittiest service to my customers that I can possibly get away with. That's good work if you can get it.

Power companies and insurance already have a lock on that.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We considered it when we bought the house because we're over a half mile from the road. Fortunately, it's all buried line from the road so it's really not an issue from there. This is the first time in three and a half years that we've lost power for more than a few minutes.

We bought one after losing power for a week at the time after two previous hurricanes. Since then, we've only lost power for over an hour two or three times and one of those was the other year when Duke did their rolling brownout at Christmas. Except for the planned brownout, every time we've lost power has been due to line issues away from my road.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

We bought one after losing power for a week at the time after two previous hurricanes. Since then, we've only lost power for over an hour two or three times and one of those was the other year when Duke did their rolling brownout at Christmas. Except for the planned brownout, every time we've lost power has been due to line issues away from my road.

I really want to go solar but I've done the math forwards, backwards, and sideways and just can't make it make sense. It's a losing proposition no matter how I slice it.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Seems like it's wrapping up here. Wind has died down, just a light rain, and it's really brightened up over the last half hour or so.

I just saw the yellow butterflies here, we are super protected on the back side. The wind shifted. 

The old saying was that when you see them, the flounder are in the creek. But water won't clean up for a while. 

I want to see what that predicted 20ft storm surge did down in Florida.