• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

13 hours ago, strato said:

They should have been ready to go Saturday. 

They were in Asheville Saturday morning.  The reason more private helicopters were seen is that private helicopters outnumber military and national guard helicopters in the state of NC by a significant number.  Helicopters from other states, from military bases in other states, and even from those in the eastern part of the state take time and planning to get there.  And the first thing the military does when a hurricane is approaching is to move them somewhere where they will be safe, because damaged helicopters don't do anyone much good.  

This is an article from Saturday. 

Where is the National Guard? How many deployed for Helene in NC (citizen-times.com)

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Any idea what part? Im still trying to contact a decent amount of people that I haven't heard from. I have a bunch of people that I care about on the back side of Beech MTN up above trash can falls that nobody can get to yet that I'm aware of. In the flood in 2004 I couldn't get within 5 miles of their house and my buddy rode a 4-wheeler through the woods to get to me.

Sorry, it was Avery County. I've been up all night and got the emails confused. I'm still getting details about other Counties we need to visit. My team is covering 6 counties and had to get other groups help us with the 8 remaining. I do not have many specific details to release just yet.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Something I will never understand why do people want to live in isolated places in the mountains of all places. I get some people love nature, but you're basically cut off from the real world.

I would be paranoid with nothing around me. 

Lol nonsense take.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Something I will never understand why do people want to live in isolated places in the mountains of all places. I get some people love nature, but you're basically cut off from the real world.

I would be paranoid with nothing around me. 

I've lived both worlds, they each definitely have their pro's and con's. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Sorry, it was Avery County. I've been up all night and got the emails confused. I'm still getting details about other Counties we need to visit. My team is covering 6 counties and had to get other groups help us with the 8 remaining. I do not have many specific details to release just yet.

The Avery/Watauga county like bisects the area I'm talking about so still could be

16 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Old Beech. Like Jack Tales Beech. Up above elk River and whatnot. You can access the area from either 321 going towards Tennessee at trash can falls, coming down from the town of Beech MTN or off a road at the Red Barn off 194 outside of banner elk. There's hundreds of houses down in there and I haven't heard from anyone

I think our North Wilksboro group is covering that area. If I hear anything I will let you know. I have a Teams meeting later today with brass that hopefully will have some more information. We've sent a ton of images and videos to Raleigh and they are trying to catch up.

• Pie 1

Poga doesn’t doesn’t exist anymore is the word. 2 Blackhawks are covering that area and old Beech side with supplies. I just realized you’re referring to Ray Hicks with Jack tales, you have mountain credibility, thumbs up!

Edited by OHYO

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

They were in Asheville Saturday morning.  The reason more private helicopters were seen is that private helicopters outnumber military and national guard helicopters in the state of NC by a significant number.  Helicopters from other states, from military bases in other states, and even from those in the eastern part of the state take time and planning to get there.  And the first thing the military does when a hurricane is approaching is to move them somewhere where they will be safe, because damaged helicopters don't do anyone much good.  

This is an article from Saturday. 

Where is the National Guard? How many deployed for Helene in NC (citizen-times.com)

Thank you. I don't know enough about it to argue over it.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Sir this wasn't a take. No disrespect if you enjoy living in isolation. Just not something I could do personally. Not judging anyone.

Man unless you choose not to, no matter how far out you go you can get access to Internet and all the towns, even small ones, have modern conveniences. It's not like deliverance out there except for very few areas

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Man unless you choose not to, no matter how far out you go you can get access to Internet and all the towns, even small ones, have modern conveniences. It's not like deliverance out there except for very few areas

That I do not understand or want to understand. I like having people around me in case of emergencies like this.

No big deal you live how you want to live. Just not something I could do.