• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'll probably take years to get it fully reopened through western NC. The next phase of this disaster is going to be the economic disaster to follow in WNC. Asheville is the economic center of the region and is pretty much the epicenter of the destruction and the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most visited national park in the country. I fear that the economic fallout is going to be massive.

Maybe you meant Great Smoky Mountains NP? the parkway is just a roadway

Asheville has been in a boom since the mid 1990's, perhaps that cycle is coming to an end

4 minutes ago, Candler Cat said:

Asheville has been in a boom since the mid 1990's, perhaps that cycle is coming to an end

No, the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's part of the national park system.

https://wlos.com/news/local/blue-ridge-parkway-most-visitation-2023-all-national-parks-bragging-rights-more-than-16-million-visitors

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Candler Cat said:

The parkway, which is the longest linear park in the U.S.,[3] runs for 469 miles (755 km) through 29 counties in Virginia and North Carolina, linking Shenandoah National Park to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. 

The parkway has been the most visited unit of the National Park System every year since 1946 except four (1949, 2013, 2016 and 2019).[4][5] Land on either side of the road is owned and maintained by the National Park Service, and in many places parkway land is bordered by United States Forest Service property. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway

Imma split hairs here, part of the system doesn't make it a NP in and of itself

I wonder if the numbers for the Parkway include the number of ppl here that use it just as a means to get someplace, for instance you can take the Parkway between Swananoa and Skyland and skip the need to go into town and I-40

Just now, Candler Cat said:

Imma split hairs here, part of the system doesn't make it a NP in and of itself

I wonder if the numbers for the Parkway include the number of ppl here that use it just as a means to get someplace, for instance you can take the Parkway between Swananoa and Skyland and skip the need to go into town and I-40

seriously is it that important to you?

good grief...the things that we choose to stand our ground on.