• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

In all seriousness, I do not understand the fascination with Florida. I don't understand why people seem to flock there, why people find it the ideal place to retire, none of it. I've been there several times, thankfully not for any longer than 4-5 days, but that was enough.

35 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

In all seriousness, I do not understand the fascination with Florida. I don't understand why people seem to flock there, why people find it the ideal place to retire, none of it. I've been there several times, thankfully not for any longer than 4-5 days, but that was enough.

It used to be cheap and old people hate cold. Now it's no longer cheap. Same thing is happening out west in Arizona. Arizona is basically the Florida of the west.

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

my family that's already down there wants my little family of 4 to move down there. every time i go, and it's usually in the fall, i'm thinking...nope. not appealing to me at all for any reason. 

always too humid. not cheap. too many crazy people down there. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It used to be cheap and old people hate cold. Now it's no longer cheap. Same thing is happening out west in Arizona. Arizona is basically the Florida of the west.

At least you aren't paying the highest property insurance rates in the country, if you can get coverage, unlike Florida.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

my family that's already down there wants my little family of 4 to move down there. every time i go, and it's usually in the fall, i'm thinking...nope. not appealing to me at all for any reason. 

always too humid. not cheap. too many crazy people down there. 

My brother-in-law bought a house in Punta Gorda and is in the midst of adding a second master suite. His 2 sons moved down there as well. I don't get it. "No income tax." So, I asked, which is better- no income tax or your $11k homeowner's policy and $7k flood policy?

It'll probably take years to get it fully reopened through western NC. The next phase of this disaster is going to be the economic disaster to follow in WNC. Asheville is the economic center of the region and is pretty much the epicenter of the destruction and the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most visited national park in the country. I fear that the economic fallout is going to be massive.

7 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Beaches and nice scenery. Other than that everything else sucks. And the people are bat crazy in Florida.

53 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'll probably take years to get it fully reopened through western NC. The next phase of this disaster is going to be the economic disaster to follow in WNC. Asheville is the economic center of the region and is pretty much the epicenter of the destruction and the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most visited national park in the country. I fear that the economic fallout is going to be massive.

Asheville is a hot vacation/tourist spot. Pretty much the only reason why I visit western NC. I hope it doesn't take that long for everything to be back normal.

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Asheville is a hot vacation/tourist spot. Pretty much the only reason why I visit western NC. I hope it doesn't take that long for everything to be back normal.

Asheville is pretty much the one place in WNC I try to actively avoid but I hope it bounces back as quickly as possible. 

People are definitely crazy here. I’ve got so many stories and the majority of them you’d probably think I was lying.

The beaches and and just overall scenic beauty of the state rivals the best that any state can offer if you are willing to put the time into explore but the majority of people would rather go to the tourist attractions. Yeah our weather sucks for 9 months out of the year but I couldn’t ask for better weather from December through February.