• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

This huge beech tree gives me pause after this storm. It looks like it's vertical from the deck.

PXL_20241005_222637264_PANO.thumb.jpg.cf2537d9515f66c5201de16307bacab2.jpg

But that's because it's leaning right toward you.

PXL_20241005_222915453.thumb.jpg.9cb88112f3184911a228fb39746ca53e.jpg

The storm didn't change it at all. It's always been just like that. But all these trees coming down in this storm does make me view it differently because there's no doubt where that thing I going if it goes.

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This huge beech tree gives me pause after this storm. It looks like it's vertical from the deck.

The storm didn't change it at all. It's always been just like that. But all these trees coming down in this storm does make me view it differently because there's no doubt where that thing I going if it goes.

Cut them down and use them as fire wood. Win win. 

5 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

At this point it looks like it will be pushed to the eastnortheast after passing over Florida.  Tampa Bay region looks like they could take another bad hit.  Still early though so anything is possible.  From the 10 am NHC discussion -

The depression is forecast to quickly intensify while it moves 
eastward to northeastward across the Gulf of Mexico and be at or 
near major hurricane strength when it reaches the west coast of the 
Florida Peninsula mid week. 

I'm actually in the Sarasota area visiting my folks for a few days. Supposed to fly back up Tuesday, but might have to go back Monday depending on when the weather starts to get bad.

Not supposed to hit land until Wednesday but it did jump to what they are predicting a category 2 over night. No telling what it will actually do.

Milton might be messy

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Beech trees are my favorite. Super strong with an incredible root system. The "bark" I always thought was pretty neat. Smooth. My favorite part of it is the leaves, though. Iove how the just kind of turn white and hang in the trees and when you pick them up they have this fuzzy feel.

Really not any trees like it. 8 know they're all different, but beech and Birch are both just awesome trees.

We had a lot of both of them at the old property. One of the few things I miss about being there.

We had a couple giant Beech trees growing beside a stream bed like that bottom one you posted here and you'd look at it and just be amazed at how it could hang like that without falling.

• Pie 1

Milton looks like it could fug Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Its’ path is a very rare one and though it’s only projected to be a category 3, Florida has been planning for a category 5 storm just like the path that Milton is on for 15 years. A category 5 storm on the same path as Milton would be projected to be the most costliest event in US history.

Edited by MillionDollarCam