• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

Thanks for the call this morning @Floppin. I was kinda relieved to hear they were taking the day off. I'm ready to shift gears and just focus on my own stuff for right now and focus my donation efforts toward when all the influx of outside volunteers wanes. The FB Karen's are not helping. URGENT NEED!!! here, urgent need there. Everywhere I've been there's been an overabundance of volunteers to the point that managing the volunteers effort is becoming the biggest job on the ground. Pay attention to the posts. They're all second hand. Someone I know there told me this or the police chief said this or I heard this. It's just a giant game of telephone that starts maybe with a kernel of truth and snowballs into a giant ball of bullshit ending in. A cluster fug of people rushing in to help.

It's amazing and beautiful seeing all these people willing to help but it's become counterproductive at this point.

• Pie 1

Loaded military and personal helicopters all day at Hickory regional.  Talked with both sides for the first time and what you hear IS TRUE. Being close to a running Chinook will make your hair stand.  That have one Helicopter just for body recovery.  Btw… loading body bags that will likely be filled is a horrible feeling. 

1 minute ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Loaded military and personal helicopters all day at Hickory regional.  Talked with both sides for the first time and what you hear IS TRUE. Being close to a running Chinook will make your hair stand.  That have one Helicopter just for body recovery.  Btw… loading body bags that will likely be filled is a horrible feeling. 

Do they need for volunteers? When I was down there the other day it was a cluster fug. They had way too many volunteers to effectively manage them. Most of us were just standing around waiting for them to find something for us to do. Felt like I spent 80% of my time just standing around waiting and 20% working. That's why I bailed and went to Old Fort.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Do they need for volunteers? When I was down there the other day it was a cluster fug. They had way too many volunteers to effectively manage them. Most of us were just standing around waiting for them to find something for us to do. Felt like I spent 80% of my time just standing around waiting and 20% working. That's why I bailed and went to Old Fort.

Yeah afternoons get to be messy. Mornings are the best. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Here we go again,

At this point it looks like it will be pushed to the eastnortheast after passing over Florida.  Tampa Bay region looks like they could take another bad hit.  Still early though so anything is possible.  From the 10 am NHC discussion -

The depression is forecast to quickly intensify while it moves 
eastward to northeastward across the Gulf of Mexico and be at or 
near major hurricane strength when it reaches the west coast of the 
Florida Peninsula mid week. 
  • Pie 1

I can't decide if I want to leave that laying there or drag it out and saw it up. Kinda want to leave it laying there but I also ultimately want to do something in the small leveling in the creek bottom there. Think I'll leave it laying for now and work on some other spots. It can always be revisited later 

PXL_20241005_204518298.thumb.jpg.d78400ac9481f5857cfc299b4693e39d.jpg

That oak back there came down in the storm too. Beautiful piece of wood. I'd love to do something with it but it's be an absolute bitch for me to get out. It's about 28" at the base and is limb free up to almost 50' where it's still close to 20".