• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Just curious as to how that footage was shot ?  Another copter ? Drone?

As an aside I hope there are no incidents with the responders - heard on some news source that there have been over a hundred " close calls" of deployed air assets thus far.

11 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Just curious as to how that footage was shot ?  Another copter ? Drone?

As an aside I hope there are no incidents with the responders - heard on some news source that there have been over a hundred " close calls" of deployed air assets thus far.

Not sure about where they shot it from and the national guard posts didn't say.

I saw a headline from MSNBC about the "close calls" earlier this morning.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Yeah, it's beyond bad. Can't imagine what it's like in person. The way some of the roads look, there's no way to repair them. It's like shear drops for long stretches.

I had been thinking the same thing.  I am no engineer but it seems like the only way to fix some of those will entail some major work with bulkheads, tie backs, etc.  Certainly nothing cheap nor fast.   This is gong to take many years to come back from and is going to be not only a humanitarian but a financial disaster for the western part of NC.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Paa Langfart said:

I had been thinking the same thing.  I am no engineer but it seems like the only way to fix some of those will entail some major work with bulkheads, tie backs, etc.  Certainly nothing cheap nor fast.   This is gong to take many years to come back from and is going to be not only a humanitarian but a financial disaster for the western part of NC.

Honestly, I hope they don't try to rebuild in some of the worst hit areas. The state can buy the land and turn it into a state park.

• Pie 2

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One of the specific things they were mentioning was Benadryl and epi pens. It makes sense. The yellow jackets were PISSED. I thought it was just around my house at first but then everywhere I went there were pissed off yellow jackets everywhere. They've settled down around my house so not sure it's still a big need or not but it was.

Holy sh*t you aren’t lying about the yellow jackets. You can’t be outside in our neighborhood without being swarmed. I’ve been stung more this week than all last year. Little fuggers.
Hope we get our power back on soon. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Honestly, I hope they don't try to rebuild in some of the worst hit areas. The state can buy the land and turn it into a state park.

Good idea but good luck.  Developers that control the legislature and county officials will make sure of that. If they can make money off of someone else's future misery they just don't gaf.  My county commissioners for example -   4 out of the 5 have direct ties to real estate and/or developers.   They are approving and building huge developments in wetlands and flood prone areas with no consideration to where the water is going in the next big storm down here.  We had an un named storm here about 3 weeks ago,  that washed out multiple roads in my county and I know for a fact that one of the washouts right down the road from me is directly attributable to a development that went in since Florence.   Its similar in the state legislature from what I read.  All across the country they keep building on beaches and other areas they know damn well they shouldn't.  The only way to stop it that I can see is to stop government subsidizing of flood insurance for new construction.  But good luck with that too.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Good idea but good luck.  Developers that control the legislature and county officials will make sure of that. If they can make money off of someone else's future misery they just don't gaf.  My county commissioners for example -   4 out of the 5 have direct ties to real estate and/or developers.   They are approving and building huge developments in wetlands and flood prone areas with no consideration to where the water is going in the next big storm down here.  We had an un named storm here about 3 weeks ago,  that washed out multiple roads in my county and I know for a fact that one of the washouts right down the road from me is directly attributable to a development that went in since Florence.   Its similar in the state legislature from what I read.  All across the country they keep building on beaches and other areas they know damn well they shouldn't.  The only way to stop it that I can see is to stop government subsidizing of flood insurance for new construction.  But good luck with that too.

Yep. It's all about the rich getting richer.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've already built a helluva brush pile just from a few hours yesterday evening and this morning and I'm really just getting started.

PXL_20241005_160230107.thumb.jpg.9bef7a57a9476363b12d939c04780dcc.jpg

Take a break and watch Carolina play.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've blocked a poo ton of people on social media. 

I don't follow folks. I just scroll through the stuff that's trending.