• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Dropped off a load of goods in Newland. Linked up with Samaritan's Purse and they needed help in a neighborhood that I knew. It's all rich people's vacation homes. I'm like nah, if you have somewhere to go focusing on people's primary residences that they're blocked on or uninhabitable that's what I'm here to do. If the focus is vacation homes I have plenty of poo to do at my own house. They completely understood so I rolled out. I'm going to check in on Black Mountain and Swannanoa tomorrow but honestly it seems like everywhere that's accessible by vehicle has an overabundance of volunteers. If somebody wants to helicopter my ass in with tools to inaccessible places I'll eat a bunch of Dramamine and go but other than that looks like I'm about to shift gears and focus on my own stuff.

Land Harbor?

7 minutes ago, OHYO said:

Not rich rich but better off than most. Head to Squirrel Creek if you’re looking for needed help or Roaring Creek—>Powder Mill—->Spear.

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. I feel for those people, I'm not heartless. But at the same time you people have means. You're not in need. If you were trapped in there by deadfall I'm here for you. But coming in from Charlotte to check in on your vacation property? I mean... sorry man, best of luck to you. But I'm here to help people on legit need or I need to go focus on my own stuff.

52 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Since someone got this kicked out of the main forum...

Anyone who believes LG did something out of the "goodness of his heart" hasnt been following LG very long.

Anyone low enough to take a shot like this in this situation at someone trying to do all he can to help his local people just isn't needed here anymore.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How far is 19E open? When I was in Spruce Pine last Friday it was shut down at Spruce Pine.

The only parts a 19e that I'm aware of that are fully closed is a stretch between elk Park and banner elk and then where it crosses The North toe at powder Mill Creek road

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How far is 19E open? When I was in Spruce Pine last Friday it was shut down at Spruce Pine.

I know it’s open from Cranberry to Spruce Pine. Green Valley bridge is a challenge though, it can be crossed carefully.

IMG_0581.thumb.png.548d695bf4a71a359da7679151d4c9fa.png

Edited by OHYO
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Floppin said:

The only parts a 19e that I'm aware of that are fully closed is a stretch between elk Park and banner elk and then where it crosses The North toe at powder Mill Creek road

4 minutes ago, OHYO said:

I know it’s open from Cranberry to Spruce Pine. Green Valley bridge is a challenge though, it can be crossed carefully.

Thanks. Have y'all been up that way? If there's a need for volunteers up that way that's where I'd prefer to head tomorrow. I was just working under the assumption that 19E was probably still closed. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Thanks. Have y'all been up that way? If there's a need for volunteers up that way that's where I'd prefer to head tomorrow. I was just working under the assumption that 19E was probably still closed. 

I haven't personally but I know lots of people out there doing work clearing roads and trying to get to houses that are still cut off. If you want me to try to see if any of them would like some additional volunteers, I'll reach out in the morning. But I'm about to lose cell phone service for the next couple hours.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I’ve not but my friends have. I work communications over on the Tennessee side, I’m stressed from helping get that back up in Roan Mountain, Mountain City area. Cell sites mostly up with residential services still down.

9 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I haven't personally but I know lots of people out there doing work clearing roads and trying to get to houses that are still cut off. If you want me to try to see if any of them would like some additional volunteers, I'll reach out in the morning. But I'm about to lose cell phone service for the next couple hours.

I'll send you a PM