• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

37 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Since when has that ever stopped anyone here from arguing.  lol

I spent time in planning sessions for military movements, occasionally including humanitarian missions but it was a long time ago. I remember just enough to know that moving these units is not just a case of hey, lets jump in them and fly to a spot and fly to a spot.  

Personal experience, they were set up and perimetered up within hours of Hugo. They stage them and when the weather eases up enough to get to it, they move.

I am not there so what would I know but at the same time I don't get why people aren't seeing them after a couple of days it seems like was more like 3 or four or longer. 

2 minutes ago, strato said:

Personal experience, they were set up and perimetered up within hours of Hugo. They stage them and when the weather eases up enough to get to it, they move.

I am not there so what would I know but at the same time I don't get why people aren't seeing them after a couple of days it seems like was more like 3 or four or longer. 

Like I said, I see military aircraft almost immediately. I think a lot of people are conflating no federal presence with no information. We literally had no word from anyone for the first 48 hours. All the local stations are iheartradio and get all their poo via internet which was all down. Seriously that was a huge flaw. 

we need fully equipped and integrated radio capabilities for poo like this. This is a political issue I’m going to get weirdly adamant about, just like limiting truck sizes or forcing ingles to sell all the empty lots they’re hoarding. 

probably be a good thing to have more than one major grocery chain in the area right now!

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, strato said:

I was in the Navy during Hugo, but deployed to the Med.  From what I remember though, the damage was more concentrated in South Carolina with some in North Carolina/Virginia.  Also, both the military, and maybe the National Guard, was larger then.  Smaller area to cover with more assets.  With this storm, the damage is far more widespread and flooding inland is far far worse.  

Regardless, the NC NG was on the ground and operating Saturday.  That is a fact.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I’m about 15 minutes north of Asheville and we got hit really hard. Major trees down all over my yard, luckily nothing hit the house.

The creek out front turned into a raging river and took out our driveway. We  drove through the yard to our neighbors driveway and got out.

Cell service has been out and is finally starting to work again but no power yet. We do have water though. I know others have it much worse and it breaks my heart. Total sh*tshow around here. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Did the thread get temporarily hidden or something?

Yeah it had to be sat for a little.  It’s important this thread stays open because it’s more important than any sports thread. Let’s all keep political stuff out of it and only post stories or links for aid.  

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Reading this thread is disappointing for the wrong reasons.  Bickering over stats, records, and then the political, government trashing.

I live in Morganton, probably 3-4m miles from LG.  For hours I watched those tropical force winds constantly bend trees fearful a tree would hit my house.  I heard trees cracking and the thunderous sound of some large ones hitting  the ground. You know that feeling you have when you are  driving down the road and a car suddenly pulls out in front of you...you hit the brakes and prepare for a crash?  I had that feeling constantly for hours.  This thing went on forever.  I had 5 large trees across my drive including 3 uprooted oaks.  It was Monday before the tree people got there.  They spent all weekend getting trees off of houses. For 2 days over the weekend I had no cell service.  I was alone, could not communicate with anyone and had no idea what was going on.  It was a horrible feeling/experience.

I still have no power and a boil water order (isn't that funny).  That being said...I count myself as one of the very lucky ones.  I have cried twice during this...the 1st time when the tree people got my driveway cleared and last night when reading more about the devastation in the mountains.  WNC will never be the same and for way too many people...their lives have changed forever.

There is a tremendous volunteer effort...people helping from all over the county.  Someone was criticizing the government saying that there were more private planes/helicopter than  military helicopters...about that I say 1) Celebrate the fact that there are so many good people in the world willing to sacrifice the time and money to help 2) Military helicopters and plans can carry a LOT more than private.  Private plans/copter cannot carry water for example because of the weight. Also....someone said they saw no Blackhawks Sat and criticized the slow response.  Well...at my house Sat I was outside all day.  I saw many, many  huge military transport helicopters all day long as well as the smaller ones . That's how I knew things must really be bad.

So, please, stop trying to blame, find fault, get political.  Take all that to the TB.  Let's focus on the tragedy, the people as well as being thankful for all the good people.

Some of you have posted some incredible things that you are doing  to help.  I think that is awesome. 

Time to come together rather than tearing things apart.

I can get to work.  Our office is in the middle of downtown so that's how I have internet to use.  Again, I know that I have so much to be thankful for.  I just cannot even begin to imagine what the people west of me are going through.

Let' all try to help them and take care of each other.

Bless you for this post.

You exemplify how we all should be thinking after disasters such as this.  Reading and hearing the other negative reactions is sickening.

Having been through too many storms here in Eastern NC I completely can relate to all the feelings you have had and continue to feel. 

Hang in there.......Better days are coming 

Both of my employees that I posted about losing their homes earlier in the thread were able to get FEMA temporary housing assistance and have been put up in a hotel for free for 30 days minimum that was immediately granted no questions asked. While their additional FEMA compensation is assessed.

• Pie 2