• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Helene thread - Not a football thread but y’all be safe *keep politics, conspiracy theories, and and tinderbox squabbles out of this*

Panthers Fan 69

9 minutes ago, OHYO said:

Poga doesn’t doesn’t exist anymore is the word. 2 Blackhawks are covering that area and old Beech side with supplies. I just realized you’re referring to Ray Hicks with Jack tales, you have mountain credibility, thumbs up!

Damn, that's what i was afraid of but also expecting to hear unfortunately

Just now, Panthers Fan 69 said:

@Jon Snowsee my post earlier about people I know that can see bodies from a valley, but can’t get to them. I’ve seen some of the pictures and it’s fuging terrifying. I wish I didn’t see them, but I did.

That's sad. I was watching the news yesterday and this couple was on the phone with their mom and dad and they were in the house while it was being swept away by the flood water. The dad survived but the mom is still missing. The house hit a tree and split them up. Just sad stuff man.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Something I will never understand why do people want to live in isolated places in the mountains of all places. I get some people love nature, but you're basically cut off from the real world.

I would be paranoid with nothing around me. 

Depends on your definition of the real world. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

My SIL did 2 tours there followed by 10 years for PTSD. Those responding are probably going to need help too during this. One of the reasons I wouldn't go to NYC after 9/11 was I knew I couldn't handle it mentally. For those of you on the ground there, be safe and much love to my NC family during all of this. 

Oh absolutely. I can’t imagine what EMS has been seeing. I’ve been reaching out to all my friends. 

just finally getting IG access and seeing the pictures is sending me. 

Also regarding helicopter chat I live on the flight path between mission and Transylvania. From Friday evening on there have been what looks like chinooks flying atleast hourly. They’re transporting staff and patients. The smaller choppers are the docs and nurses. HCA was bringing them in from other HCA facilities, getting them to airfields, and flying them in via whatever means they could find. 

they’ve also had ospreys flying from AVL looking for people. They came VERY close to my house Saturday morning. 

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, strato said:

Thank you. I don't know enough about it to argue over it.

Since when has that ever stopped anyone here from arguing.  lol

I spent time in planning sessions for military movements, occasionally including humanitarian missions but it was a long time ago. I remember just enough to know that moving these units is not just a case of hey, lets jump in them and fly to a spot and fly to a spot.  

• Pie 1

serious warning here...keep your tinderbox squabbles, politics, and conspiracy theories out of this thread.

if you want to talk about that poo, just go ahead and jump in the tinderbox for it. drag it in here and you'll be gone for a while.

thank you.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Reading this thread is disappointing for the wrong reasons.  Bickering over stats, records, and then the political, government trashing.

I live in Morganton, probably 3-4m miles from LG.  For hours I watched those tropical force winds constantly bend trees fearful a tree would hit my house.  I heard trees cracking and the thunderous sound of some large ones hitting  the ground. You know that feeling you have when you are  driving down the road and a car suddenly pulls out in front of you...you hit the brakes and prepare for a crash?  I had that feeling constantly for hours.  This thing went on forever.  I had 5 large trees across my drive including 3 uprooted oaks.  It was Monday before the tree people got there.  They spent all weekend getting trees off of houses. For 2 days over the weekend I had no cell service.  I was alone, could not communicate with anyone and had no idea what was going on.  It was a horrible feeling/experience.

I still have no power and a boil water order (isn't that funny).  That being said...I count myself as one of the very lucky ones.  I have cried twice during this...the 1st time when the tree people got my driveway cleared and last night when reading more about the devastation in the mountains.  WNC will never be the same and for way too many people...their lives have changed forever.

There is a tremendous volunteer effort...people helping from all over the county.  Someone was criticizing the government saying that there were more private planes/helicopter than  military helicopters...about that I say 1) Celebrate the fact that there are so many good people in the world willing to sacrifice the time and money to help 2) Military helicopters and plans can carry a LOT more than private.  Private plans/copter cannot carry water for example because of the weight. Also....someone said they saw no Blackhawks Sat and criticized the slow response.  Well...at my house Sat I was outside all day.  I saw many, many  huge military transport helicopters all day long as well as the smaller ones . That's how I knew things must really be bad.

So, please, stop trying to blame, find fault, get political.  Take all that to the TB.  Let's focus on the tragedy, the people as well as being thankful for all the good people.

Some of you have posted some incredible things that you are doing  to help.  I think that is awesome. 

Time to come together rather than tearing things apart.

I can get to work.  Our office is in the middle of downtown so that's how I have internet to use.  Again, I know that I have so much to be thankful for.  I just cannot even begin to imagine what the people west of me are going through.

Let' all try to help them and take care of each other.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Reading this thread is disappointing for the wrong reasons.  Bickering over stats, records, and then the political, government trashing.

I live in Morganton, probably 3-4m miles form LG.  For hours I watched those tropical force winds constantly bend trees fearful a tree would hit my house.  I heard trees cracking and the thunderous sound of some large ones hitting  the ground. You know that feeling you have when you are  driving down the road and a car suddenly pulls out in front of you...you hit the brakes and prepare for a crash?  I had that feeling constantly for hours.  This thing went on forever.  I had 5 large trees across my drive including 3 uprooted oaks.  It was Monday before the tree people got there.  They spent all weekend getting trees off of houses. For 2 days over the weekend I had no cell service.  I was alone, could not communicate with anyone and had no idea what was going on.  It was a horrible feeling/experience.

I still have no power and a boil water order (isn't that funny).  That being said...I count myself as one of the very lucky ones.  I have cried twice during this...the 1st time when the tree people got my driveway cleared and last night when reading more about the devastation in the mountains.  WNC will never be the same and for way too many people...their lives have changed forever.

There is a tremendous volunteer effort...people helping from all over the county.  Someone was criticizing the government saying that there were more private planes/helicopter than  military helicopters...about that I say 1) Celebrate the fact that there are so many good people in the world willing to sacrifice the time and money to help 2) Military helicopters and plans can carry a LOT more than private.  Private plans/copter cannot carry water for example because of the weight. Also....someone said they saw no Blackhawks Sat and criticized the slow response.  Well...at my house Sat I was outside all day.  I saw many, many  huge military transport helicopters all day long as well as the smaller ones . That's how I knew things must really be bad.

So, please, stop trying to blame, find fault, get political.  Take all that to the TB.  Let's focus on the tragedy, the people as well as being thankful for all the good people.

Some of you have posted some incredible things that you are doing  to help.  I think that is awesome. 

Time to come together rather than tearing things apart.

I can get to work.  Our office is in the middle of downtown so that's how I have internet to use.  Again, I know that I have so much to be thankful for.  I just cannot even begin to imagine what the people west of me are going through.

Let' all try to help them and take care of each other.

thank you.