• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetically speaking... comp for Dalton

Lurk21

I started following football around the time of the Carson Palmer trade to the Cardinals, so not sure how he was prior, but I remember people saying he had a late career resurgence. Was he always pretty good or would he fit the mold?

37 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well he was a 3x Pro Bowler.....

I put almost zero stock in pro bowls. Dalton was a long term average to slightly above average starter. My point was comparing him to a hall of famer just doesn’t make a lot of sense

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

I put almost zero stock in pro bowls. Dalton was a long term average to slightly above average starter. My point was comparing him to a hall of famer just doesn’t make a lot of sense

He has actually done fairly well in the 2011-current time period. He's firmly in the above average range, IMO. Definitely not elite. I don't view him worse than Derek Carr, for instance. I would say he isn't worse than guys like Goff, Lawrence, etc. 

Maybe not a high bar to hit but he's(career wise) probably at the top of the #3 QB grouping(Elite, Near Elite, etc).

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Dalton = Jake Delhomme 2.0

Bryce = Rodney Peete 2.0

Don't insult Rodney Peete like that he gave us a 7 and 9 season in Fox's first year and Peppers rookie season.  We showed massive improvement between the 01 and the 02 season with Peete at the helm.

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Samppson said:

I started following football around the time of the Carson Palmer trade to the Cardinals, so not sure how he was prior, but I remember people saying he had a late career resurgence. Was he always pretty good or would he fit the mold?

He was pretty good with the Bengals, but he got hurt really bad in a playoff game early in his career.  That kind of messed him up for a while and his next stop was the Raiders.  When he went to Arizona, the coach was Bruce Arians who meshed really well with his playstyle.  Carson Palmer always had big time arm talent, and it's why he was drafted 1st by the Bengals.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan

51 minutes ago, Samppson said:

I was coming into this thread to say Carson Palmer:

IMG_1307.thumb.jpeg.ee936646376c75e3208a968db0b0ba46.jpeg

Dalton:

IMG_1308.thumb.jpeg.45693e2ebefef4db44a9be54e528942b.jpeg

Exact same completion percentage. Both left Cincy around same age. 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, t96 said:

Dalton wasn’t a top QB in the AFC but you can be a pro bowler filling in for guys in the SB or don’t want to play.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Very similar. The 17 game averages reflect that Carson was a slightly more prolific passer.

Just trying to think back Carson had who in Cincy? Chad and TJ

Andy had AJ

Then Carson had Fitz in AZ

Andy hasn’t had much since leaving Cincy. I guess he had Lamb in Dallas but he was a rookie

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Just trying to think back Carson had who in Cincy? Chad and TJ

Andy had AJ

Then Carson had Fitz in AZ

Andy hasn’t had much since leaving Cincy. I guess he had Lamb in Dallas but he was a rookie

He also had Bruce Arians as his coach in Arizona.  Very much a chuck it down the field nonstop style coach.  There are some similarities with Canales' offense in that regard.

• Beer 2