• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan in a single offseason

Frank9999

20 hours ago, Navy_football said:

I think Luvu chose to go to Washington because of scheme. The Panthers matched the offer. 

This.  Luvu didn't want to be here and this isn't Morgan's fault.  

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Some of the moves you are talking about would also reduce the roster to under 40 players(the amount we currently have under contract with that ~$42 mil in cap space per OTC). That isn't including a QB salary(Dalton isn't on there) and when you are looking at maybe $55-60 mil in cap(if we do everything you say), it's going to be tighter than you think to sign almost 20 players, including a starting QB. 

The point being is that to have as little overall roster talent as we have, we should be looking more like the Pats, who have a projected $138 mil in cap space for 2025 with 39 players under contract. 

That's what a talent deficient roster amount of free cap SHOULD look like.

I don't think our roster is that talent deficient.  Other than Sanders and maybe Wonnum, no one looks grossly overpaid.  The Moton cap hit is bad, but that is from all the restructures.  But our line is decent and mostly intact for 2025 (other than Corbett).  We're just drafted an RB, TE, and WR that we need to develop - maybe there is some talent there?

On defense we will still have Horn, Brown, Robinson, and Clowney, who are all above average.

I think the idea is to build through the draft anyway.  Those are low-cost additions. Draft another edge in round 1 and a WR in round 2, and developing them.

I, for one, don't really care that we don't have 100m to spend because I like the organic growth path they seem to be on. If you have to spend money, put it in the trenches.  Our recent impatience has hurt us tremendously and put us in this hole.  I'm giving it a good 2 years to see what Morgan/Cannales can come up with.  

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I don't think our roster is that talent deficient.  Other than Sanders and maybe Wonnum, no one looks grossly overpaid.  The Moton cap hit is bad, but that is from all the restructures.  But our line is decent and mostly intact for 2025 (other than Corbett).  We're just drafted an RB, TE, and WR that we need to develop - maybe there is some talent there?

On defense we will still have Horn, Brown, Robinson, and Clowney, who are all above average.

I think the idea is to build through the draft anyway.  Those are low-cost additions. Draft another edge in round 1 and a WR in round 2, and developing them.

I, for one, don't really care that we don't have 100m to spend because I like the organic growth path they seem to be on. If you have to spend money, put it in the trenches.  Our recent impatience has hurt us tremendously and put us in this hole.  I'm giving it a good 2 years to see what Morgan/Cannales can come up with.  

It's definitely the most talent deficient roster I can recall since 1995.

Defensively the talent is just basically Brown and possibly Horn. There is little in the way of homegrown talent, mostly a mix of journeyman on their way through.

Offensively it's just the OL and maybe some decent players like Hubbard/Tremble.

The elite talent on the roster is basically just Brown and, in theory, Horn. 

It's pretty sad overall. But, if we get something more in the next 14 games from our FA signings and perhaps some of the draft picks show any inkling of development, there is future hope.

If not, it's basically just the continued talent spiral downwards to who knows what end. I would like to think this is finally rock bottom and the start of the upward climb. Unfortunately with the Tepper Panthers, sometimes it can actually get worse.

• Pie 4

On 9/25/2024 at 12:30 PM, Frank9999 said:

Yea its a little premature, but I think the oline looks clearly MUCH better. Need to see more of a lot of the rest 

He spent big money on interior o-line, which is a position a lot of teams try to go cheap on, I would expect us to be good.

We have the third highest cap cost o-line, we should be good.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/offensive-line/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

He spent big money on interior o-line, which is a position a lot of teams try to go cheap on, I would expect us to be good.

We have the third highest cap cost o-line, we should be good.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/offensive-line/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total

Yeah, if we were not playing well at OL this year, that should be someone's job. Either FO or in the coaching staff. This was a line built to be good.

Admittedly, I was highly skeptical of Corbett at C. He has really surprised me by being as solid as he has been.

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's definitely the most talent deficient roster I can recall since 1995.

Defensively the talent is just basically Brown and possibly Horn. There is little in the way of homegrown talent, mostly a mix of journeyman on their way through.

Offensively it's just the OL and maybe some decent players like Hubbard/Tremble.

The elite talent on the roster is basically just Brown and, in theory, Horn. 

It's pretty sad overall. But, if we get something more in the next 14 games from our FA signings and perhaps some of the draft picks show any inkling of development, there is future hope.

If not, it's basically just the continued talent spiral downwards to who knows what end. I would like to think this is finally rock bottom and the start of the upward climb. Unfortunately with the Tepper Panthers, sometimes it can actually get worse.

Daniel Jeremiah agrees.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

I think the idea is to build through the draft anyway. 

The Panthers have always claimed this. To be fair, so does the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

Our recent impatience has hurt us tremendously and put us in this hole.

It's not just a recent failure. The Panthers have almost always made the wrong cap choices and kicked the can down the road, compounding the dead money hits.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Daniel Jeremiah agrees.

Yeah, when I make those kind of statements about our roster(as I have over the past 2-3 seasons) I don't think it is hyperbole at all. 

If you think about it, our roster SHOULD be really bad. Our previous two GM's(Rhule and Fitterer) were horrible. Add roster meddling by ownership and this SHOULD be the expected result.

Hence why I say the performance of our offseason additions this past cycle are very critical. If we see a bunch of bungled moves, the future is going to be pretty bleak, once again.

• Pie 1

I pretty much like 85% of the moves Morgan has made... not crazy about drafting a busted up running back that may or may not survive the rigors of the NFL...High risk high reward. I get it. XL will have this season to convince us that he was a number one pick unlike Bryce. But if it ever comes to light that Morgan had any support in selecting Bryce, I'm out.

On 9/25/2024 at 12:24 PM, Frank9999 said:

-Fixed the offensive line

-got a borderline number 1 WR for Donte Jackson

- then replaced Donte with arguably a better CB or at the least equal for a 6th round draft pick

- drafted XL who looks likes hes gonna be a stud

- drafted a stud LB ( trevin wallace) 

- drafted our future at RB

people act like Dan and Canales were building for Bryce, but the reality is they are building for any QB to be successful. this has never been about Bryce, its been about building a winning football franchise again and if Bryce was gonna work then cool but if not then they find someone who will. Andy is that dude now.

have to give Dan Morgan and Canales their props I think they are off to a great start 

Lol. Chill out dude. Moving in the right direction. A 1000 miles to go.