• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan in a single offseason

Frank9999

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Diontae isn't really a top tier one. Good player, no doubt but there aren't many teams he would be a #1. 

XL....well.....I have a pretty low ceiling for him personally so I just hope he can clear those bars. He's a pretty big project for an older player. I hope we have a coaching staff that can develop him.

I don't think you can honestly say that about Diontae.  He looked very dynamic with someone that could get him the ball.  Honestly, his performance Sunday was one of the most dynamic I've seen since we've had Steve Smith.  So lets just see over the next few games before we can evaluate.

XL is gonna be good.  He drew the PI in the endzone too.  He has things to clean up, but I saw his potential in the touches he got.

Why shouldnt we pay Dionte exactly? If he can perform every week like he did in week 3 then lets do it. Hes not gonna have 122 yards every game but he is a great route runner and that's something we absolutely need and have needed for a long time.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Honestly, his performance Sunday was one of the most dynamic I've seen since we've had Steve Smith. 

Is that because he's actually good or just better than the mostly bottom tier WRs the Panthers have been trotting out since Smith?

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Frank9999 said:

-Fixed the offensive line The OL was elite 2 years ago and returned 3 of those players. He gave huge contracts to 2 IOL, and yes they've been good but it's 100% fair to question the allocation of cap space here.

-got a borderline number 1 WR for Donte Jackson Diontae is solid but is almost certainly a 1 year rental, Donte is balling out for one of the best Ds in years as a starter

- then replaced Donte with arguably a better CB or at the least equal for a 6th round draft pick this was a good trade but MJ is nowhere near Donte's level.

- drafted XL who looks likes hes gonna be a stud with his 6 catches for 77 yards on the year? 

- drafted a stud LB ( trevin wallace) with his 11 snaps played this year? 

- drafted our future at RB the guy we haven't even seen take a snap in shorts?

My responses in bold. Is this Dan's burner account or something? lol what a ridiculous post

I'm willing to give Dan some benefit of the doubt on a few of these things. I personally am high on Brooks but I'm not proclaiming him our future until we see him do something here. Not sold on Legette, of course his low stats have been partially due to Bryce but I haven't seen nearly enough from him to say he'll be a stud. Wallace can barely earn playing time and is overhyped, he could turn out to be great but again nothing we've seen yet suggests that will happen.

We're riding a high wave due to such a great game from Dalton, etc. last week, and I'm willing to see how things continue to play out with Dalton before making big proclamations, but I'm still highly skeptical of this roster as a whole and our cap situation is an absolute mess this year and next. We also really don't have a single star impact player on the team right now, D Brown is the closest thing but he's only shown it for 1 season before now getting a significant injury. Dan has been GM for less than a year but he's been AGM for several years before that and was a significant part of the front office that left us in this big mess. 

I think it's more likely than not that Dan will be fired within the next 3 years. I hope I'm wrong but after years of having blind faith and getting bitten every time under Tepper, I've become much more of a realist.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

Why shouldnt we pay Dionte exactly? If he can perform every week like he did in week 3 then lets do it. Hes not gonna have 122 yards every game but he is a great route runner and that's something we absolutely need and have needed for a long time.

I think it is going to likely boil down to him not wanting to be here so we might have to make a big overpay again.

• Beer 1

My issue would be that they went overboard towards the Bryce support in the roster construction. I resented being asked to throw more money at making him ... average.

The small wheeling and dealing has weighed in, in our favor. Not talking Burns, talking the 2025 2nd falling from the sky and the Diontae/Dante exchange.. and Mike Jackson for the guy we took in the 7th. 

The draft, that goes under Bryce roster construction too. I'd like to see a year where there aren't those kind of unreasonable pressures. 

I have very little issue with anything else. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think it is going to likely boil down to him not wanting to be here so we might have to make a big overpay again.

With the D needing significant resources, dropping more big coin on more offense isn’t a great idea. I think the Luvu money went to signing our o line warriors. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Gapanthersfan said:

With the D needing significant resources, dropping more big coin on more offense isn’t a great idea. I think the Luvu money went to signing our o line warriors. 

Yeah, people don't realize how bad our cap situation is. We can't be this low on the talent scale and also in cap hell. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I think Luvu chose to go to Washington because of scheme. The Panthers matched the offer. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'll never understand the idea that defense was sacrificed to save Bryce Young. Did we not watch this oline last season, particularly the guards and center? They were beyond bad. The receiving corps was easily the worst in the league. Easily. The changes on offense were made to make the TEAM competitive with or without Bryce Young. And the only real loss on defense was Luvu, who they at least tried to replace with Josey and Wallace. Burns was/is not worth $30+million a year. Honestly, don't even think he's a $20 million guy. A'Shawn and Clowney were major signings. Donte Jackson isn't missed right now. And I know we aren't complaining about YGM leaving, when he got blown up while trying to set the edge against a WR. Plus they brought in multiple depth type players to replace him. Morgan went to work this offseason. Big time. Was it all good? Don't know yet. But he definitely shook up the roster of a 2-15 team. As I would expect. Draft wise, I thought they could have done some things differently. But no one they passed on is looking like a generational talent on another team yet, so we'll have to see. 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Is that because he's actually good or just better than the mostly bottom tier WRs the Panthers have been trotting out since Smith?

If you guys suddenly want to have super high standards that's good to hear. But it's a bit jarring to see folks who made endless excuses for Bryce Young playing horribly now dismissing Diontae Johnson playing really well with Andy Dalton.