• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Dalton QB School week 3

Jackie Lee

What I am hearing in so many of these videos is the QB plays off of the defense's reaction. In the Thielen one McCoy says he is working off the safety.

Bryce just plain can't see that poo. Can't read it if you can't see it. By the time you get out where he Can see, that stuff has happened already. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, strato said:

What I am hearing in so many of these videos is the QB plays off of the defense's reaction. In the Thielen one McCoy says he is working off the safety.

Bryce just plain can't see that poo. Can't read it if you can't see it. By the time you get out where he Can see, that stuff has happened already. 

Also the pre-snap stuff, Dalton obviously knew what he was looking at. Bryce just kinda stares out there and doesn't adjust or adjusts like calling Chuba back to the shotgun and leaving his guy completely free for a blitz. The processor...

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also the pre-snap stuff, Dalton obviously knew what he was looking at. Bryce just kinda stares out there and doesn't adjust or adjusts like calling Chuba back to the shotgun and leaving his guy completely free for a blitz. The processor...

Someone was saying that Canales designs his plays so that if a defender goes one way or the other, there it is. Wherever he didn't go I guess. 

But you would have to see that to make it work.

Wonder how many rollouts they will put in there for Andy.  

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, strato said:

Someone was saying that Canales designs his plays so that if a defender goes one way or the other, there it is. Wherever he didn't go I guess. 

But you would have to see that to make it work.

Wonder how many rollouts they will put in there for Andy.  

Yeah paying that much to fix your IOL just for a guy to roll out of a clean pocket isn't really ideal

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, electro's horse said:

the thing to keep in mind with andy is he only had 1 week of practice with the starters

he was injured during a lot of the preaseason, and obviously was the number 2 qb during the season. he'd probably only had like 3 days worth of practice with the 1s 

And it is an offense brought in this season. Not like he could fall back on last year. 

That's what you an get from these guys that have had all that stuff thrown at them.. like how many coaches had Darnold had by the time he left here? Eventually, if you can hang, you are going to be able to pick things up quick because of what you have seen.

On 9/25/2024 at 9:32 AM, CRA said:

I mean, I do think the fanbase overnight has swung too hard into the Dalton/Panthers are now a very good team mindset.   

Odds are, a lot of things went our way for that game to work out like it did. 

No team lucks into a 33-7 lead my dude. That doesn't happen in the NFL. Maybe a bad team will catch a decent team sleeping and get a lead, but it takes a LOT of things to go your way to get to 33-7. A lot. Like several things per drive. Several turnovers. Several missed turnovers. Several busted coverages. 

From what I could tell, the Panthers looked like the better team, straight up. Better coached, better QB, and likely what matters most, the better offensive line. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

No team lucks into a 33-7 lead my dude. That doesn't happen in the NFL. Maybe a bad team will catch a decent team sleeping and get a lead, but it takes a LOT of things to go your way to get to 33-7. A lot. Like several things per drive. Several turnovers. Several missed turnovers. Several busted coverages. 

From what I could tell, the Panthers looked like the better team, straight up. Better coached, better QB, and likely what matters most, the better offensive line. 

I didn’t say luck.  I said a lot things set up and likely went our way for it to play out like that. 

like that time Carolina under Rhule went out west to AZ and smashed them 34-10.  We looked dominate in every aspect of the game of football.   We then lost the next 7 straight and looked like garbage.  Which is what we had been before that game.  

Now are we better with Dalton? 100%. But we had a lot going our way.  It was Dalton’s first game.  No film.  Key Raiders hurt.  Some great passes Dalton probably isn’t consistently making were also clearly made.  2 of those TDs. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I didn’t say luck.  I said a lot things set up and likely went our way for it to play out like that. 

like that time Carolina under Rhule went out west to AZ and smashed them 34-10.  We looked dominate in every aspect of the game of football.   We then lost the next 7 straight and looked like garbage.  Which is what we had been before that game.  

Now are we better with Dalton? 100%. But we had a lot going our way.  It was Dalton’s first game.  No film.  Key Raiders hurt.  Some great passes Dalton probably isn’t consistently making were also clearly made.  2 of those TDs. 

Look I get you are wait and see on Canales and that's perfectly fine but comparing him to Rhule is off base brother. And I do not see significant similarities to the Arizona win from 2021. They honestly are strikingly different.

All you have to do is dig into the numbers. Our starting QB that game was PJ Walker who had 167 passing yards on 29 attempts with no touchdowns and one INT. Cam attempted 4 passes for 8 yards. Not one single passing touchdown in that blowout win. By comparison we had 166 rushing yards and one of those touchdowns was Cam's "I'm back!!!" run for a score. Looking at that game obviously it was a mirage and not sustainable because it is a passing league. If that game compares to any other I would say it would be the Lions win with Wilks.

Now look at the Raiders win.

319 passing yards 3 passing touchdowns 114 rushing yards from Chuba 1 rushing touchdown from Miles Sanders. That's a balanced offense. That's what we've been asking for going on years now.

But I will agree with you they absolutely do need to prove it wasn't a one off and build from that win. I'd love to see it. We'll just have to wait and find out.

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

Look I get you are wait and see on Canales and that's perfectly fine but comparing him to Rhule is off base brother. And I do not see significant similarities to the Arizona win from 2021. They honestly are strikingly different.

All you have to do is dig into the numbers. Our starting QB that game was PJ Walker who had 167 passing yards on 29 attempts with no touchdowns and one INT. Cam attempted 4 passes for 8 yards. Not one single passing touchdown in that blowout win. By comparison we had 166 rushing yards and one of those touchdowns was Cam's "I'm back!!!" run for a score. Looking at that game obviously it was a mirage and not sustainable because it is a passing league. If that game compares to any other I would say it would be the Lions win with Wilks.

319 passing yards 3 passing touchdowns 114 rushing yards from Chuba 1 rushing touchdown from Miles Sanders. That's a balanced offense. That's what we've been asking for going on years now.

But I will agree with you they absolutely do need to prove it wasn't a one off and build from that win. I'd love to see it. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Correction since I can no longer edit now.

I forgot Cam threw a short TD pass in the redzone. Adding that for clarification. Still our passing offense was anemic at best.

16 hours ago, frankw said:

Completely agree. The way the Panthers won is repeatable. It wasn’t some fluke where the defense scored a touchdown or two and then special teams blocked a punt and returned one for a touchdown. It was a thorough beat down within the regular framework that a game operates. 

• Beer 2

14 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Wait so you can get the ball out quick and also throw it further than 5-10 yards? 

I wonder if Dalton didn’t benefit from sitting last year and just watching film. Perhaps Bryce could benefit from sitting for a year or two before getting another shot, which honestly should have been the plan all along. 

2.17 seconds is how long it typically takes Bryce just to get to the bottom of his drop. I watched a few games from Alabama and with the Panthers and he still does that slow walk back from the snap which takes a good 2-3 seconds sometimes. 

16 hours ago, frankw said:

Yeah, I didn’t compare him to Rhule.  It’s merely a reference to how those perfect storm games can pop up when everything aligns for you on a random Sunday.  I merely referenced the last one as a reminder of them. .  Carolina went out west and steamrolled a team (both times) with everything going there way….but just like the last time we witnessed one of those games, most things point to that being more fluky than reality going forward