• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Dalton QB School week 3

Jackie Lee

Come on Huddle... last year's squad WAS hot garbage. It was. And just because a 13 years vet with multiple pro bowls under his belt had a good game (even though he got the crap beat out of him), doesn't mean that a rookie should have. JTs analysis weren't far off last season. A little biased, but not egregious. Andy's seen everything there is to see in the NFL. Everything. You're not gonna fool him with presnap looks. But if we're being honest, he's had the least number reps in this offense from all the QBs on the roster during training camp. Even the 4th guy that came in. I think he'll only get better as he gets more comfortable with what everyone is doing. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

I watched ten minutes and he sounds so upset to give Dalton any props for some reason. Mostly blaming the raiders for all the catches

I mean, I do think the fanbase overnight has swung too hard into the Dalton/Panthers are now a very good team mindset.   

Odds are, a lot of things went our way for that game to work out like it did. 

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I do think the fanbase overnight has swung too hard into the Dalton/Panthers are now a very good team mindset.   

Very good? Remains to be seen, competitive every weak and exciting to watch? Yes yes 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, PantherChris said:

Very good? Remains to be seen, competitive every weak and exciting to watch? Yes yes 

A dominant oline and a creative playcaller will put up points every week. Some of those blocking schmes with the TEs are crazy for Carolina. Like, what is this witchcraft you're doing with the TEs? I didn't know they could do that.

Bryce just wasn't pulling the trigger, and/or he was missing easy NFL throws. 

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah.. Finally things go our way

32 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

I mean, even that is likely too far of a swing IMO.  Competitive every week?  We are still a bottom tier roster.  

I think we will be competitive with the rest of the weak teams.  From what we have seen, our D can't handle teams that can run and pass.  Folks will get film on Dalton.  We got a lot of inexperience in the pass game too.   

We have had those perfect storm games before in the Tepper era before. 

• Pie 2

Some of these former QBs turned analysts are all talk and no game. It's so easy to play monday morning QB. It's easy to comment if it was a "good read, bad read, good throw, bad throw," but actually performing in real life is what matters. I can see Bryce being a future youtube QB analyst, he is a great processor, but he just couldn't deliver on the field. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, even that is likely too far of a swing IMO.  Competitive every week?  We are still a bottom tier roster.  

I think we will be competitive with the rest of the weak teams.  From what we have seen, our D can't handle teams that can run and pass.  Folks will get film on Dalton.  We got a lot of inexperience in the pass game too.   

We have had those perfect storm games before in the Tepper era before. 

I mean outside of the Bills and MAYBE the Seahawks/Vikings, seems like every team is banged up or extremely flawed. I mean, who do you think the Panthers can't be competitive with before the Week 11 bye?

vs Bengals - bottom 5 defense

at Bears - bottom 5 OL and rushing offense

vs Falcons - banged up OL and fairly anemic offensively, honestly should be 0-3 if the Eagles don't have an epic game management blunder

at Commanders - great offense so far but arguably the worst defense in the league  

at Broncos - rookie QB with an anemic offense (notwithstanding last week's game)

vs Saints - strafed us in the dome but I still think that Carr played out of his mind weeks 1 and 2 and didn't expect him to keep up that level of play

Giants in Munich - only offense they have is spam Malik Nabers

Now I'm not saying we're about to rip off 8 wins in a row and go into the bye week 8-2, but I think being competitive and winning 3 or 4 of those 7 games is very, very plausible. Hell, even the post bye schedule which looked hellacious coming into the season isn't looking AS daunting. Odds are we still get beat by all of the Chiefs, Eagles, and Cowboys, but they haven't exactly looked like world beaters 3 weeks into the season.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

10 hours ago, strato said:

Some great baseball managers barely made it out of the minors and some didn't. 

I bet there are a ton of NFL success stories that are similar.. humble beginings and all that. 

And some great players can't teach. Tennis, football, music, whatever. 

Plenty of NFL examples.  Belicheck played college ball but wasnt good enough for the NFL... he took an assistant coaching job outta college and wound up being the GOAT.

Bill Cowher played in the NFL but wasnt a stud.. Andy Reid dominated the punt pass and kick competition and played a little bit of college ball but that was about it. 

There's plenty of other examples out there.  The idea that you gotta be a good player to critique film is just a lazy take people use to discredit someone when they say something they dont like  The reality is its less common to be a great player and a great coach.  Its often one or the other.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, NAS said:

After 18 games of watching Bryce, it's refreshing to see a true gunslinger's mentality like Andy Dalton.  Sure it comes with risk but better than watching a 5 yd pass on 3rd and 8.  

Throwing it away on 4th down I fuging saw that. 4th down you can’t make it throw it down the field like a punt geez what a processor. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

It was them playing as bad as much as we were playing that good.

We all know Minshew doesn't normally have a complete meltdown like that, for example.

It shows how functionam we can be if given the right circumstances. I think that is an important thing to see, TBH.

But we shouldn't be assuming this is the start of a 2015-ish run.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean in fairness you've been badmouthing Canales for weeks and you're talking about others swinging too hard one way. Just a smidge hypocritical no?

Anywho I think the majority of people know we are not "very good". But we are also by far not the worst team in the league or the least talented team in the league. We went on the road and showed that we can compete at a high level. That's all anyone has asked for.

To your point there is overall validity to it. We should take things with a grain of salt for the time being regarding our overall season outlook based off one win. But we also should give the coaches and the team a little grace to continue to build on this. We can be both complimentary and critical if needed when the time comes just as we always have.

Edited by frankw