• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Multiple Trade Offers for Bryce

Daddy_Uncle

I'd take a 3rd and maybe a future 5th.  Or maybe a 4th and future 4th.

Looking at the numbers, we'd save $2m this year but have a dead cap hit of around $12m next year.

The trade partner would be getting a developmental QB that has been scarred by us on basically a 2-year $10m deal.

I thought it would be impossible to move him, but there may be some takers.

As someone said - he is a sunk cost.  Get what you can and don't look back.  It is awkward to have him around at this point.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Need a capable backup QB to make a trade by the deadline. No backup QB in place, no trade this season.

Replacing Young will be easy. Anyone we pick up can look just as incompetent, even without practice. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

24 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I’m holding out for someone desperate. Wait till the offseason or whatever but get as much as possible.  He isn’t acting like a malcontent so no hurry

I'm with this. Sure, if someone rolls up with a fat offer, take it. But a 4th rounder is practically nothing. Just hold onto him and hope some dumbass team gets desperate.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Need a capable backup QB to make a trade by the deadline. No backup QB in place, no trade this season.

That would be a reasonable position if Bryce was at least a capable backup. I'd honestly rather watch us just run the wildcat offense all game long than see Bryce at QB. At least that's 11 on 11 football. With Bryce at QB you're basically playing 10 vs. 11 since he's useless.

• Pie 2

Did a google and this was easy to find and has the info. I snipped the trade 'chapter'.

-----------------

https://www.bhindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

Trades

Sometimes, players are traded away, and this affects the salary cap in much the same way as a cut or a retirement. The team from which a player is traded is no longer on the hook for unpaid salaries or future bonuses, but is still responsible for accounting for any bonuses that have already been paid. That may just be remaining, prorated signing bonus money, but it can also include things like a roster bonus that was paid at the beginning of the current league year. Again, this all depends heavily on when the player is traded.

However, the big accounting difference in a trade is that, when a player is traded, the team is still getting something back in return for the player. Typically, this is one or more other players, so those players' salaries would then be counted against the acquiring team's salary cap. The incoming players' prorated bonuses, however, continue to stay with their previous team.

-----------------

I think there could be a June 1 designation like with retirement didn't get that far. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That would be a reasonable position if Bryce was at least a capable backup. I'd honestly rather watch us just run the wildcat offense all game long than see Bryce at QB. At least that's 11 on 11 football. With Bryce at QB you're basically playing 10 vs. 11 since he's useless.

I'd rather see what Plummer has than trot Bryce back out there tbh

Hell, I'd rather pick PJ Walker off the street with limited time to learn the playbook than put Bryce back out there. That was the most boring football I've ever watched and that's including the Clausen season.

• Pie 4

As much as you guys want to get rid of Bryce, his value to us isn't lower than a 2nd round pick.

If the Panthers trade him for a 3rd round or worse pick, he will undoubtedly come back to bite us in the ass and play super well.

2nd round pick, sure, get him out of here. But we bust so much on later picks that there's no point because we still eat the cap charge

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Actually they should have played him when we were up by 26 just to clarify the siruation.

absolutely not. at this point, bryce young is a morale killing energy suck.

the panthers could have been up by 100, the only thing putting young on the field would have done is ruin the moment...for the team, and the fans.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, demcj said:

absolutely not. at this point, bryce young is a morale killing energy suck.

the panthers could have been up by 100, the only thing putting young on the field would have done is ruin the moment...for the team, and the fans.

Yeah you know what would happen if we put him in up 26? We wouldn't be up by 26 for very long.

Edited by strato
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

On this "Locked on Panthers" podcast Julian mentions there have been rumors multiple teams have inquired about Bryce and one offering a 4th rounder

If the Panthers can get a 4th rounder for Bryce Young, please take it, cut your lose and move on.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

He will probably be moved in the offseason. If he is not, you can go ahead and chalk that up to more roster mismanagement. 

The sooner the Panthers move Bryce Young the better, in my opinion.

Keeping him hanging around will only be a constant reminder of the big mistake the Panthers made.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

As much as you guys want to get rid of Bryce, his value to us isn't lower than a 2nd round pick.

If the Panthers trade him for a 3rd round or worse pick, he will undoubtedly come back to bite us in the ass and play super well.

2nd round pick, sure, get him out of here. But we bust so much on later picks that there's no point because we still eat the cap charge

His value is directly related to how much the staff/franchise believes in him as a future QB and how he is currently.impafting the team chemistry. Nothing more, nothing less. What is gone is sunk cost, and the fact that he was the #1 overall is irrelevant given how poorly he has played.

If the team sees no future for him then bench or offload him and move on, especially if he has a poor attitude. Bryce has no physical traits above replacement level and the 'processing' is not as advertised, so what's the point?

• Pie 1