• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Multiple Trade Offers for Bryce

Daddy_Uncle

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Oh ok.  I was thinking post June 1st applied to the next June.  Not post June 2024

Plus we've already paid him for 3 games so that $2M-ish number the trading team would pay in 2024 would drop a little for them . We're stuck with those $6M prorated bonus numbers either way though. He held out for that before camp last year I remember lol. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

We save $2M for 2024 if we trade him now, $4M in 2025, $6M in 2026. $6M dead cap each year

I think OTC may be making a calculation error on the post June 1st trade option. That would be the same as a post-June 1st cut on the cap. We would be relieved of all base salary but the remaining bonus money accelerates to being an equal hit over this year and next year's cap. If you look at how that is calculating, it isn't accurate. For an example, go look at the same thing for Deshaun Watson. They show a net positive cap hit for trading him this season, which we know to be completely false.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It's financially irresponsible to make that move now. 

1. I was told the cap doesn't really exist anymore? Sarcasm. 2. None of that guaranteed cap hit transfers to the new team? I have no idea how I missed that on rookie contracts. I thought it was all guaranteed but transferable.

46 minutes ago, Waldo said:

1. I was told the cap doesn't really exist anymore? Sarcasm. 2. None of that guaranteed cap hit transfers to the new team? I have no idea how I missed that on rookie contracts. I thought it was all guaranteed but transferable.

Roster bonus goes to the new team in the new year, signing bonus comes due on checkout so to speak. They pro rate that over the length of the deal. He got most of his money in signing bonus. 

If I'm right

Edited by strato
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think OTC may be making a calculation error on the post June 1st trade option. That would be the same as a post-June 1st cut on the cap. We would be relieved of all base salary but the remaining bonus money accelerates to being an equal hit over this year and next year's cap. If you look at how that is calculating, it isn't accurate. For an example, go look at the same thing for Deshaun Watson. They show a net positive cap hit for trading him this season, which we know to be completely false.

Yeah Spotrac changed it up on their site but this tweet has it listed differently. Would still pretty much break even this year according to this

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, strato said:

Guess what dog, Sunday was about you too. 

Come On Ugh GIF by NBC

On the topic of a trade, I highly doubt he gets traded unless it's in the offseason. Young will probably get at least one more game as the starter before the season is over with too because they're going to give him the chance to prove he can be a starting QB once he's had time to sit and "clear his head".

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Base salary hit transfers to the new team but all bonus money(which is prorated over the term of the contract) stays with the Panthers as dead money because it was already paid out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah Spotrac changed it up on their site but this tweet has it listed differently. Would still pretty much break even this year according to this

We can't absorb $8.1 mil in dead cap. We would have to somehow clear $7 mil in cap before the NFL would allow us to even make the trade. Otherwise we are over the cap.

Remember that we had to maniacally scramble to get under the cap prior to the season. 

This makes WAY more sense to deal with either in the offseason or after June 1st, 2025.

There is no real risk to the team. His value is already quite low and it dropping from something like a 4th to a 6th/7th is relatively meaningless. Additionally, we don't really have a valid backup option behind Dalton without him(arguably we don't WITH him either).

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We can't absorb $8.1 mil in dead cap. We would have to somehow clear $7 mil in cap before the NFL would allow us to even make the trade. Otherwise we are over the cap.

Remember that we had to maniacally scramble to get under the cap prior to the season. 

This makes WAY more sense to deal with either in the offseason or after June 1st, 2025.

There is no real risk to the team. His value is already quite low and it dropping from something like a 4th to a 6th/7th is relatively meaningless. Additionally, we don't really have a valid backup option behind Dalton without him(arguably we don't WITH him either).

Especially since the best we would get is a 4th. You are better off just leaving him on the roster. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Base salary hit transfers to the new team but all bonus money(which is prorated over the term of the contract) stays with the Panthers as dead money because it was already paid out.

I thought it was negotiable while that was the floor. Obviously I haven't kept up in years.

Well there is always IR if they can't trade him.

Just now, Waldo said:

I thought it was negotiable while that was the floor. Obviously I haven't kept up in years.

Well there is always IR if they can't trade him.

It's a rookie deal. All the signing bonus his is spread evenly over the life of the deal. That's our dead cap burden, which in this case we would be toting ~$22 mil of across this and next season. 

This is another reason you don't usually see 1st round picks moved until towards the end of their contracts. It actually is a substantial cap burden.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Come On Ugh GIF by NBC

On the topic of a trade, I highly doubt he gets traded unless it's in the offseason. Young will probably get at least one more game as the starter before the season is over with too because they're going to give him the chance to prove he can be a starting QB once he's had time to sit and "clear his head".

I don't think we do this I believe Bryce has played his last snap here unless Dalton goes down, but if we did the prove it thing there is no way you can do 1 game. You would HAVE to do 4-6 games minimum. Imagine if we let him start week 17 and he lights it up and we decide to roll with him in 2025 and let Dalton walk as a FA, that's worse case scenario.