• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young for Trevor Lawrence

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

The intrigue begins and ends at being in cap hell without the ability to build a team around him.

The one thing he has shown conclusively is that he is unable to elevate players around him, so bringing him here with substantially less offensive weapons than even the Jags have is pretty insane.

Of course. But good luck finding a QB willing to get paid like a rookie for several years. News Flash to everyone here: QB salaries are only going to get WAY WORSE.

"In one week, [Andy] Dalton made this look like a legitimately good NFL offense, whereas with [Bryce] Young, it was absolutely the worst. If Dalton keeps playing well and Carolina actually wins some games, how can the coaching staff look the rest of the roster in the eyes and say it is going back to Young just because he's the future. He's not -- not anymore. Barring an injury to Dalton, I say there's a better chance that Young gets traded before the deadline (or in the offseason) than he starts again for the Panthers."

- Dan Graziano, ESPN

• Flames 2

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'd rather figure out a way to get Howell from Seattle.  I think he would do really well in Canales offense.  I also think Howell would do great with this offensive line.

Thoughts?

Howell is probably worth a late round pick(6th/7th) but Seattle might not be willing to let him go for that. The issue with Howell is that he is a Favre/Winston gunslinger. So, Dalton with substantially less sound decision making. 

He is probably best suited as a backup for a couple of more years to see if you can get him up to a Dalton/Mayfield level of being a "less TO prone" gunslinger. 

If you could get Dalton to start the next couple of seasons or so, with Howell riding the pine, that might be a decent development scenario for him.

Ya'll are gonna slam me, but with Canales rehabiliting Mayfield and Geno, the massive success the Sam Darnold is seeing right now, I would see if I could pull Zach Wilson in the off-season and see what Canales can do with him.

He has talent, seems to have matured significantly, and has shown flashes. He could be one of those late bloomers like Geno and Darnold. Would be cheap, and wouldn't preclude anyone from drafting a late round QB. Bonus, he could lead you to a top QB in 2026 if things don't work out.

Okay, I'll take my beating now.

Edited by Jaxel

17 hours ago, Jaxel said:

Ya'll are gonna slam me, but with Canales rehabiliting Mayfield and Geno, the massive success the Sam Darnold is seeing right now, I would see if I could pull Zach Wilson in the off-season and see what Canales can do with him.

He has talent, seems to have matured significantly, and has shown flashes. He could be one of those late bloomers like Geno and Darnold. Would be cheap, and wouldn't preclude anyone from drafting a late round QB. Bonus, he could lead you to a top QB in 2026 if things don't work out.

Okay, I'll take my beating now.

Trevor Lawrence, Baker Mayfield, Zach Wilson and Sam Darnold are not clutch QBs. They will need defense and great game management to win consistently during the season. They are done in the playoffs when the defense and coaching can't carry the game. Don't waste time or money on them. They'll be the end of great coaching and defense in the playoffs following a strong running game during the season.

Geno Smith is clutch and can contend for a championship game in the playoffs.