• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young for Trevor Lawrence

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

It's funny how everyone talked about how Lawrence was a generational talent.  Can't miss!

Compared to Josh Allen who was picked 7th.  Mahommes was 10th famously.  

The reality is that only a few QBs really workout to be superstars.  Remember who was drafted in front of Allen?  Baker and Sam!

Its just so crazy random if the guy you pick works out or not.

the bust rate for first round QBs is 50 percent, every Payton Manning is going to have a Ryan Leaf. This poo aint easy its less than 32 good NFL quarterbacks in the world

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, d-dave said:

It's funny how everyone talked about how Lawrence was a generational talent.  Can't miss!

The reality is that only a few QBs really workout to be superstars.  Remember who was drafted in front of Allen?  Baker and Sam!

I had a moment before he played in the NFL where I had a lot of doubt about Lawrence.

He had some quotes in an SI interview that made me wonder how much he actually loved football. It's tough to be elite at QB and not be a maniac about playing the sport, IMO.

I don't know that he has that extra gear.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

No

Projects.

We suck at projects. 

We are not just a QB away. Keep building the team the right way. No reaching. No tweeners in the draft. Bring in a dude who is tough, teachable, pocket passer who can make all the throws. If it’s not there this draft, then keep team building with high picks, roll with Andy and bring in a cheap vet backup that is at least serviceable. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

That's the dirty secret: drafting a franchise QB is more luck than skill. Tepper wanted to be first instead of second. Now we're the ones with the dud.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I had a moment before he played in the NFL where I had a lot of doubt about Lawrence.

He had some quotes in an SI interview that made me wonder how much he actually loved football. It's tough to be elite at QB and not be a maniac about playing the sport, IMO.

I don't know that he has that extra gear.

Have seen him be good one week and it shuts off again. Or in a half. Focus? 

20 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

No

Projects.

We suck at projects. 

We are not just a QB away. Keep building the team the right way. No reaching. No tweeners in the draft. Bring in a dude who is tough, teachable, pocket passer who can make all the throws. If it’s not there this draft, then keep team building with high picks, roll with Andy and bring in a cheap vet backup that is at least serviceable. 

1) What are they going to have to pay Andy to start another season?

2) I was serious before about find another Andy for backup. Who is the closest that we could get? Andy is a top backup go get the toppest dude out there that is compatible.

Then what is the total cost.

You could be pretty set and be able to draft a guy after the 1st to try out and see what you have. 

If you make the 2nd guy a younger, Baker like rehab, that could work too. Might be the best thing. (and if you see a Rattler level guy late, go for it)

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

Zero scientific method to this, but thought about it recently. I almost think it's a *bad* thing to be a 5 star recruit, "the man" at your big college (Alabama, Ohio St. Clemson), etc. in today's world. 

Not including some older guys like a Stafford here, but out of all of the franchise QBs in the league right now, how many fit the 5 star recruit & 'Bama model that gave us Bryce? Is Stroud the only franchise guy who was highly recruited & had big school success?

• Mahomes (Texas Tech), Allen (Wyoming), Lamar (L'Ville), Burrow (transfered), Love (Nevada), Herbert (3 star)
  • Meanwhile the big recruits and big schools? Bryce, Fields, Tua, TLaw

Rambling, but maybe there's a weird correlation to 5 star QBs not panning out. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

And there are fans that want to pass up drafting a QB until one of these "generational" guys comes around lol

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

What are you watching that makes you say hell yeah?

Even if he had a decent contract nothing screams Franchise QB. 

Until the contract entered my feeble mind, I was looking for a better rehab candidate than Bryce. That's the only evaluation I did. He would be a big upgrade all else equal.