• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I’m starting to wonder if there’s a reason Plummer got all the preseason reps…

43 minutes ago, SOJA said:

My conspiracy theory I posted about in June was that I think they have been planning on moving away from Bryce all offseason. 

I don't think they were there until training camp. Once Canales saw how limited Bryce was, he held him out of preseason which I think was a huge mistake either way, and then we saw how the first two games went. But I think Canales was hired with the intention to coach up Bryce which I don't even think Andy Reid could do. 

It’s just a tough scenario. 

We drafted a guy for the new 2023 staff, thought he could excel, be this rare undersized phenom, regardless of his shortcomings. Ended up being the furthest thing from the truth.

A new staff comes in this year to check him out, and it probably looked just as bad to them.  It had to of been noticeable but you can’t go into year two with the benching of 1OA.

They waited to see how it really looked and noped out for now — I imagine because Tepper is probably more open to it after last season’s trainwreck where he probably made Reich and then Brown start Bryce. He’s open to seeing what the staff wants to do.

I’m willing to buy he’s softened his leash and is indeed more backseat with the occasional driver shouting. 

4 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He's bad man.  I don't know why some are getting caught up in some throws he made late in the last preseason game.  He looked like absolute dog poo until he was playing with people that weren't gonna be in the NFL in a week.  He came in after Bryce and couldn't do anything until anyone who could sniff an NFL roster spot left the game.

Yeah, it would probably be like Will Grier.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

I don't think they were there until training camp. Once Canales saw how limited Bryce was, he held him out of preseason which I think was a huge mistake either way, and then we saw how the first two games went. But I think Canales was hired with the intention to coach up Bryce which I don't even think Andy Reid could do. 

It parallels what I thought I was seeing last year. It is eerie. Even up to the third game, where we could see that it could look pro. 

I think Tepper saw what was common to both years. 

I also think this could be a turning point big time. Tepper needs 'his' coach, one that he feels good enough about to trust. This looks the most promising chance for that to evolve. 

I really believe it comes down to trust and he has been burned when he trusts people. 

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

It’s just a tough scenario. 

We drafted a guy for the new 2023 staff, thought he could excel, be this rare undersized phenom, regardless of his shortcomings. Ended up being the furthest thing from the truth.

A new staff comes in this year to check him out, and it probably looked just as bad to them.  It had to of been noticeable but you can’t go into year two with the benching of 1OA.

They waited to see how it really looked and noped out for now — I imagine because Tepper is probably more open to it after last season’s trainwreck where he probably made Reich and then Brown start Bryce. He’s open to seeing what the staff wants to do.

I’m willing to buy he’s softened his leash and is indeed more backseat with the occasional driver shouting. 

as we sit today I would think its a damn guarentee that we draft a guy (not sure what round) in the mold that DC likes.  I seriously doubt they trot him out for 2025 while they develop him.  Just seems to make way too much sense for them not to do.

3 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Not defending him but Fitterer thought he did and he claimed as so much in the presser post-trade up. They brought in defense under Rhule initially, then built up the offense (terribly)…

He thought Icky, Brady, Bozeman, Corbett, & Moton were the line, and that they performed well down the stretch for Wilks.

I have considered this point about the OL-they did play fairly well for Wilks--and I think a "false sense of security" may have pointed him in other directions.  I have said this before---his biggest problem was the offensive line coach Campen demonstrated a lack of ability to connect to gen Z players.  Ickey did not develop--he is now.  Zavala was lost--he is playing better now.  Center is more complicated because the kind of center you need is based on the things the offense asks him to do and the ability of that center to change blocking schemes at the LOS--and Bozeman became obsolete with his lack of mobility in the evolving offense.  Canales says "We are a developmental Coaching staff" because he saw the lack of development here.  TMJ, Mingo, Ickey, Zavala, BC, Thomas, QBs, were not being developed--they were being thrown into situations and they were waiting to see who would sink and who would swim.  Obviously, just my opinion, but I was bashing Campen even when the OL was considered "decent."  All based on a novice approach to the OL (as a former HS OL coach) and an expertise in professional development (grad professor).  I saw Ickey bending at the waist, not moving his feet.  And I did not see growth.  Zavala? Confused as hell.  Bozeman?  when asked to move in space, never got there.   I complained that there was no development going on--that you build a team from the inside out, front to back.  They immediately addressed the middle three OL.  Ickey is being developed.  Zavala might be the best example of being developed.  XL is inexperienced and raw--but he is going in complex motions and showing positive signs.  Tremble suddenly looks like a player and he is blocking his arse off.  Moton is even looking better.  Corbett might be a better C than G--and Lewis and Hunt?  that is what guards look like.  So on paper, we might have been good in 2022, but you have to improve the more film they get on you, the more you expose your weaknesses.  We had an OL coach kissing footballs and resting on a reputation. 

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

that's a good theory too. and I agree with you, I think one of the Shannahan guys will take a shot on Bryce but I just don't seem him ever being a viable NFL QB