• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it to early to revisit the Corral vs Malik Willis debate?

16 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

No Willis definitely played well and has been grinding and it shows. He deserves his flowers. He has shown more as a QB than anyone we've traded for or drafted in the past 8 years.

But he's still a backup and will be back on the bench once Love is healthy. It's a bit of an apples and oranges situation. We needed a good starting QB. We whiffed on getting one forever. Willis seems to be a solid backup QB. We don't need one of those.

To me his performance is irrelevant because he isn't the long term answer. You don't tend to kick yourself for missing on drafting a backup.

He has played well for the past 2 weeks. Sure he's a backup for now* not saying he's supplanting love. But could he reemerge like darnold and Geno and Mayfield why not? I haven't seen anything to show that he can't be a starter in this league.

45 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I am thrilled for the win and happy with Andy Dalton in the short term. But banking on a 36 year old QB of the future is fools gold. 

Really. Kirk Cousins is 36 years old and the Falcons just signed him to a 4 year, 180 million contract. Aaron Rodgers is 40 and just signed for two years at 75 million. Matthew Stafford is 36 and I think the Rams are still pretty happy with him.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him simply because of his age. QBs are protected much more than they used to be, health science is more developed and he has less wear and tear from sitting than all the other QBs listed. 

20 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Too early? Corral is out the league and Willis was gone when we picked. 

Yea more like too late.  My problem was always trading up for Corral when Howell was on the board.  Yeah he's not exactly franchise QB material right now, but we didn't need to trade up for him and he's the best in the class.  Unlike Corral, he could have at least been a serviceable backup.  Something you shouldn't be trading up in the draft to get.

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

I am thrilled for the win and happy with Andy Dalton in the short term. But banking on a 36 year old QB of the future is fools gold. I'm still looking at potential franchise guys that we failed to identify. We passed on Willis a few times and even chose Corral over him in the 3rd. 

Yes his rookie season didn't look well coming out of liberty and needed time to develop and green bay got him on the cheap for what a 6-7th round pick? But he has already proven to be better than Corral easily.. and these past 2 games have been better than Bryce easily early into there careers.. can we discuss how we have failed to identify guys who are plus athletes and have the traits to be good vs. taking guys who are "football players" with less talent.

He's looked okay, he's only attempted 100 passes in the regular season in his career.... he isn't lighting it up throwing, I think he could be good but he barely as 5 games of film total on him.  

47 minutes ago, csx said:

If revising history why not suggest trading a 7th instead of picking him.early in the draft?

I brought that up as well. The point is more so at how we view QBs.. what traits are we looking at? What makes you take one guy over another. My point was these guys showed elite traits and we settle for guys who might have went to bigger programs but didn't show the same physical ability.

52 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

He's looked okay, he's only attempted 100 passes in the regular season in his career.... he isn't lighting it up throwing, I think he could be good but he barely as 5 games of film total on him.  

the point is he looks like a football player. A team has won 2 games with him at the helm which is all Bryce has done in 18 games. He would have come significantly cheaper as well and has more physical ability than anyone we have on the roster right now. Talent vs investment.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Willis is a bad QB

he happens to be playing on a good team with a coach he can make it work for a couple weeks 

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Bad QBs make the team around you worse or look bad. Look at Skyler Thomas tim Boyle in Miami with those weapons. Levis looks bad. Even Bryce looked bad here and made our weapons look bad. But inserted Dalton and we look like a different team.

Willis hasn't thrown an interception and has benefit the weapons around him with his legs. He a plus instead of a hindrance. I think what you will see if he keeps playing solid a team come calling to give him a shot as a starter maybe mami.