• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers future plan at QB. IMHO

Puresteel55

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think folks need to bump their breaks. 

teams will get film on Dalton and what Canales is doing with him.  There were lots of free rushers today and it thankfully didn’t hurt us.  Crosby was hurt coming in.  

this isn’t the norm of what the Dalton era will look like.  We need to see that and then decide 

Dude Dalton has 15 seasons of film, look what Canales scheme did for Baker and Smith....

Sure you probably won't get this production every week but he's not gonna just fall off.

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Need to sign one of the young FA QB’s this offseason to see what Canales can do with them

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2025/position/qb/sort/contract_value

Who are you thinking? I don't really have much interest in any of these QBs. Wouldn't be completely opposed to bringing Darnold back but if he continues like he's been playing he'd get paid big and even though I think he got a raw deal here I'm not really convinced he should be a longer term starter for any team in this league. Fields could be interesting but he's just not a franchise QB as a passer either. Maybe Lance but there's a reason no team was interested in trying him as a starter and the best he got was Dak's backup

Edited by t96

1 minute ago, t96 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2025/position/qb/sort/contract_value

Who are you thinking? I don't really have much interest in any of these QBs. Wouldn't be completely opposed to bringing Darnold back but if he continues like he's been playing he'd get paid big and even though I think he got a raw deal here I'm not really convinced he should be a longer term starter for any team in this league. Fields could be interesting but he's just not a franchise QB as a passer either.

Drew Lock was with Canales in Seattle. Wouldn’t be surprised if they went after him

I wouldn’t even be opposed to Wilson or Lance if Canales wanted them. Just give him someone with a damn NFL arm

22 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

Dude Dalton has 15 seasons of film, look what Canales scheme did for Baker and Smith....

Sure you probably won't get this production every week but he's not gonna just fall off.

Yeah, in other people’s offenses.  That’s not the same thing.  It doesn’t do any good to study Dalton in Marvin Lewis’ offenses….who was on the sideline. 

this was all talk about before the game….when it was said Andy would likely have a good day.    It happened.  It’s an advantage.  But that goes away.  

59 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think folks need to bump their breaks. 

teams will get film on Dalton and what Canales is doing with him.  There were lots of free rushers today and it thankfully didn’t hurt us.  Crosby was hurt coming in.  

this isn’t the norm of what the Dalton era will look like.  We need to see that and then decide 

Maybe. It's ok to enjoy this for a few days. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, in other people’s offenses.  That’s not the same thing.  It doesn’t do any good to study Dalton in Marvin Lewis’ offenses….who was on the sideline. 

this was all talk about before the game….when it was said Andy would likely have a good day.    It happened.  It’s an advantage.  But that goes away.  

Well, its not like he is going to just completely Bryce level fail out there all of a sudden. He wont light it up every single game but my god man, look at what we have been used to. I would say just take it a game at a time and try to get our young offensive guys some good development and have someone ready to go (Besides Bryce) if Dalton gets hurt or cant go.

I say keep Andy as the bridge.  As I've suggested elsewhere, see what Detroit wants for Hooker or what New England would take for Milton as a young prospect with a high ceiling to develop.  As far as the draft, we wouldn't be pressed to take a guy next year, and I'm not super informed on the college crop, but what I've seen outside of Ewers or Arch, I'm unimpressed.  So, if we can take one of those guys without having to maneuver to do so, cool...  if not, be patient and get a guy who has the tools physically and just needs polish and time, and there's a lot of those guys who aren't #1 overall picks.  

And also, dump Bryce immediately.  If the rumors are true and a team offered a 4th, you take that poo and run.  I would like a 3rd, but I don't know why any team would offer even a 4th at this point, but end this nightmare ASAP.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I want Ewers to sit behind Dalton. Were gonna be the Carolina Longhorns

Pretty sure that Dalton and his Horned Frog fellow alumni would not be pleased  with the "Longhorns"

35 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Drew Lock was with Canales in Seattle. Wouldn’t be surprised if they went after him

I wouldn’t even be opposed to Wilson or Lance if Canales wanted them. Just give him someone with a damn NFL arm

I'm not opposed to adding a guy like this for cheap because why not, but wouldn't want any part of that being the "plan" at QB. Dalton or other vet and high upside rookie in '25 or '26 should be the main plan. Wilson has been just as bad as Bryce, Lance is interesting but more as a flyer than a significant part of the plan. 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Who are you thinking? I don't really have much interest in any of these QBs. Wouldn't be completely opposed to bringing Darnold back but if he continues like he's been playing he'd get paid big and even though I think he got a raw deal here I'm not really convinced he should be a longer term starter for any team in this league. Fields could be interesting but he's just not a franchise QB as a passer either. Maybe Lance but there's a reason no team was interested in trying him as a starter and the best he got was Dak's backup

I'm with you, next years FA look rough. I think we need to look at potential 2026 FA we could trade a later round pick for this year. I have always liked Davis Mills. Big, strong QB that looked serviceable on the bad HOU teams. he has some experience under his belt, I would love to see what Canales could do with him. 

My plan is simple

We likely still end up with a top 3 pick this year (schedule gets tough from here on out outside of a few games)

Trade down to a QB needy team. Pick up an extra second this year and first next year. 

Draft the best edge at like pick 7-9, James Pierce is my current choice but that's subject to change. With our two second round picks pick the best NT, CB or double dip at edge 

Next year 2026. Draft Nico high. Draft best WR with extra first round pick. 

Profit.