• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Benching Bryce = Firing Rhule

tukafan21

We legit did what OP wanted by getting a QB in 2023 (Rhule fired in 2022) after the doom they state was firing Rhule mid season and won games. So we tried to get that franchise guy at 1-1 and it still didn't work out and we could have got the right guy still (Stroud) but missed and turned a meh team into an all-time poo show (never led until 0:00 on the clock ALL YEAR). sucking to keep getting players doesn't work. That is how the Browns and Lions stayed poo, cause they kept missing and kept loosing and had terrible management that blamed players (stafford was fine). Its not how to build a franchise. Hell the ones that have been on top have done it while drafting late year after year. So no sucking to "build assets" is a foolish strategy in the NFL. Proper development and scouting trumps all. Hell MVP Lamar Jackson was bottom of 1st round. where was Hurts, or Purdy, D Carr, Dak....... 1-1 means poo once you are in the NFL. just select good players and sign them. 2nd need coaches to work with the mix and maximize the players they have. if you are good at those 2 things, finding a QB will follow if you can find talent at every position while getting the best out of what you have. Eagles won with a loaded team and a journyman QB...............

We would rather see progress across the board to see we know how to build a team and direct a team. and we are seeing that today. so if this keeps up and we go 7-9 so be it. we do know we have a better group than expected and parts to build on. the narrative of the Rhule era and start of the Bryce era is the same for the losers that supported them: wasn't their fault but the supporting casts. nah that's BS. The issues with Rhule were different. Your boy Rhule made it impossible to judge talent (Mayfield/Darnold/ even Joe Brady as OC whos showing out in Buffalo) and then we blamed the players (Teddy was right!). if we can get a good staff that can show how to get positive plays out of these guys it shows what we have, need, and what we can turn players into. that is 100x more important than trotting a guy that brings everyone down out there and keep playing for draft picks. the development and proper player recognition matters so much more. now if you get in a spot like the 49ers or cheifs where you get a poo season due to injuries, shoot your shot. worked for the Chiefs and the 49ers missed. so again high picks are still not a winning strategy to get that top QB. Those two teams still would be playoff teams with superbowl aspirations as the staffs knew wtf they were doing (though lance is a biiiiiig miss for the 49ers)

OP has one of the worst takes of the year on fuging record now. 

24 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Because I think winning games like this only hurts the franchise in the long run.  I don't want to be happy 5-7 times a season when we are able to be competitive, that's not being happy, that's tricking yourself that not getting blown out is enjoyable.

You know what's enjoyable?

Making the playoffs, going into a season with realistic expectations of being a contender, you know, the things good football teams are able to enjoy.

Not being competitive once a month, that's a loser mentality.  I can suffer through the pain for long term gains, but we just can't even do that right either

What do you mean "winning games like this"?. It puts us at 1-2 for the season and back in the play-off hunt. Who knows where we end up if they play like this every week. You'd rather play rubbish and lose just to be able to play the game of chance that is drafting a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

I was against firing Rhule in season as it was only going to make us a better team in a worthless season and hurt our draft stock.

I was against benching Bryce for the same reason.

We're going to end up int he 7-10 draft pick range, yet again showing we can't even suck properly.  This franchise is going to forever be stuck in NFL purgatory, never picking at the top of the draft (unless we make a stupid trade again) but never good enough to actually compete for the playoffs.

You don't need the fugging top pick in the draft to get a good quarterback.  Would you rather the team be sucking today and Dalton look like poo?

1 minute ago, chbright said:

We legit did what OP wanted by getting a QB in 2023 (Rhule fired in 2022) after the doom they state was firing Rhule mid season and won games. So we tried to get that franchise guy at 1-1 and it still didn't work out and we could have got the right guy still (Stroud) but missed and turned a meh team into an all-time poo show (never led until 0:00 on the clock ALL YEAR). sucking to keep getting players doesn't work. That is how the Browns and Lions stayed poo, cause they kept missing and kept loosing and had terrible management that blamed players (stafford was fine). Its not how to build a franchise. Hell the ones that have been on top have done it while drafting late year after year. So no sucking to "build assets" is a foolish strategy in the NFL. Proper development and scouting trumps all. Hell MVP Lamar Jackson was bottom of 1st round. where was Hurts, or Purdy, D Carr, Dak....... 1-1 means poo once you are in the NFL. just select good players and sign them. 2nd need coaches to work with the mix and maximize the players they have. if you are good at those 2 things, finding a QB will follow if you can find talent at every position while getting the best out of what you have. Eagles won with a loaded team and a journyman QB...............

We would rather see progress across the board to see we know how to build a team and direct a team. and we are seeing that today. so if this keeps up and we go 7-9 so be it. we do know we have a better group than expected and parts to build on. the narrative of the Rhule era and start of the Bryce era is the same for the losers that supported them: wasn't their fault but the supporting casts. nah that's BS. The issues with Rhule were different. Your boy Rhule made it impossible to judge talent (Mayfield/Darnold/ even Joe Brady as OC whos showing out in Buffalo) and then we blamed the players (Teddy was right!). if we can get a good staff that can show how to get positive plays out of these guys it shows what we have, need, and what we can turn players into. that is 100x more important than trotting a guy that brings everyone down out there and keep playing for draft picks. the development and proper player recognition matters so much more. now if you get in a spot like the 49ers or cheifs where you get a poo season due to injuries, shoot your shot. worked for the Chiefs and the 49ers missed. so again high picks are still not a winning strategy to get that top QB. Those two teams still would be playoff teams with superbowl aspirations as the staffs knew wtf they were doing (though lance is a biiiiiig miss for the 49ers)

WHAT?!?!?!

I'm sorry, but I'm still stuck on your first sentence, as it's literally the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I said

We went out and wong meaningless games, put us as the 9th pick in the draft and then made a stupid trade giving up great assets, just to take the wrong QB anyways.

How can you "suck to build assets" when you didn't get that top draft asset due to said sucking, and then traded away your other high draft picks (plus a Top 20 WR) to get the draft pick.

What you're describing is the opposite of what I'm saying.  Take your lumps for a few years and build a team around your own Top Five 1st and 2nd round draft picks for a few seasons.  Not trade away your future to get the top draft pick in a bad QB class and then take a middle school sized QB

1 minute ago, Ricky Prickles said:

You don't need the fugging top pick in the draft to get a good quarterback.  Would you rather the team be sucking today and Dalton look like poo?

I don't want to use the top pick next year for a QB, I want to use it to trade back to take a non-QB, build up more draft assets, and continue to stockpile good players/picks that will pay off a few years down the line.

Look at what the Lions and Texans have done in the last 3-5 years, THAT's how you go about building a contending team when you have a roster like we currently have, not trying to patch over the problem areas every season.

4 minutes ago, Billy Goat said:

What do you mean "winning games like this"?. It puts us at 1-2 for the season and back in the play-off hunt. Who knows where we end up if they play like this every week. You'd rather play rubbish and lose just to be able to play the game of chance that is drafting a franchise QB.

You think we're in the playoff hunt because we'd be 1-2 and beat a team who will also be picking in the Top 10, if not Top 5, next season?

How much do you want to bet that we won't even sniff the playoff hunt this season?

Because name your price, I'm in.

8 minutes ago, chbright said:

Oh, and you're right, all the takes in this thread are now on the record and I'll be bookmarking the thread to bring it back up in the future... I'm not shying away from my take because of backlash, because I know this isn't how you re-build an NFL franchise, it's how you get stuck in NFL purgatory forever.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

We've never embraced sucking to do a complete re-build, we only keep trying to patch over mistakes with temporary fixes and it hasn't worked for the last decade.

But sure, let's keep trying that because we're just sick of not being the team we want to be

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't want to use the top pick next year for a QB, I want to use it to trade back to take a non-QB, build up more draft assets, and continue to stockpile good players/picks that will pay off a few years down the line.

Look at what the Lions and Texans have done in the last 3-5 years, THAT's how you go about building a contending team when you have a roster like we currently have, not trying to patch over the problem areas every season.

So at our 3rd game you literally want us to tank? You can't live as a franchise tanking every year by the third game and then no guarantees the picks you get by tanking and trading back for more picks even pan out in my opinion.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

you're right, it guarantees nothing, but you know what going 5-12 or 6-11 does every season?

It guarantees that you're never going to have a contending team.

You become the Dalton era Bengals at best, and even then, you still have to get lucky on hitting on a non 1st round QB and a solid but not great coaching staff.

I'd rather suck and go for hoping to hit with our high draft picks for a few seasons than get stuck in NFL purgatory because I can look at the big picture and it doesn't make losing hurt anymore.

Again, real world...

Free agents see you do something like that and they make a note of it.

The same people bashing me in this thread today will be the same ones who are complaining in April when we miss out on X, Y, or Z players they wanted at the top of the draft because we're picking 7th instead of 3rd.

Then they'll be the same ones complaining that we're a 8-9 team 3 years from now and still not contending

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, real world...

Free agents see you do something like that and they make a note of it.

Again, in the short term, but not the long run when you start to build a real NFL roster with true talent at the top end of the draft for a few years.

I don't see Lions or Texans fans complaining about FA's not wanting to sign with them because they were complete dog poo 4 years ago.

It's never going to be a one year fix to re-build a roster this void of elite talent.

Yes, I'll give you that we've been such a mess since Tepper bought the team that it certainly won't attract FA's, but the last 5 years are a sunk cost at this point.  Making current and future decisions based on past mistakes is only a path to continuing to make mistakes.