• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich was right / Frank Reich was wrong

Mr. Scot

Someone refresh my memory here, what are we basing the idea that Frank wanted around on?  
I’ll admit it’s entirely possible but I don’t remember any report saying that.  All of the reports said they were in agreement on it.  
Also what about Caldwell. I’m sure he had a a well respected voice in the process.

I’m sure Tepper was involved in the process but from all reports he defers to the football people, if he fell in love with one of the QBs I’m guessing it’s because the “football people” convinced him that Bryce was worth it.

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Sorry, I have erased Fitterer from my memory.  🙂

I was of the belief that he needed more time to recover from Rhule for a while, but learning two things changed my mind:

The first, and most definitive, was finding out he had been one of the people talking behind Reich's back. That's just unacceptable.

The other though was hearing that once he joined the Panthers, he went heavily into analytics based draft evaluations rather than traditional scouting.

Word is that was a point of difference with Dan Morgan also. Morgan prefers eye tests to spreadsheets.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

I’m sorry, Reich was not a good head coach. 

Disagree, especially when you look back at his first two seasons.

Now, the attempt to "fix" Carson Wentz was a mistake, and even Reich himself admits that.

After that, you had the debacle of Matt Ryan which led to Jim Irsay interfering in football decisions and everything going downhill after that.

Then, as others have discussed before, he escapes the shadow of Jim Irsay...and lands with David Tepper, basically the equivalent of getting away from Jeffrey Dahmer only to be captured by Ed Gein.

There are definitely coaching decisions I disagree with (the skill set thing being the biggest) but I'd still say it's pretty hard to be settled either way on Reich given the circumstances.

25 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

Send the link that Schefter said he wanted Stroud

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll look for it (not in a position to right now) but someone else posted it here within the last week also.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/13/carolina-panthers-david-tepper-frank-reich-split-quarterback-draft

There was a report by Schefter where he said  he heard a rumor that Frank wanted stroud.  This was I think over a month out from the draft, also I don’t think he named the source.

Later in the year there were reports that they were pretty much all in agreement on Bryce.

Such as:

https://www.outkick.com/nfl/panthers-owner-david-tepper-addresses-rumor-he-overruled-frank-reich-on-bryce-young-and-c-j-stroud

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, I understand why you say that, but watching the game today, Carr is still a guy who would need a very good team around him to win.  And we would not have had it last year.  

If we got Carr, we would have never traded for 1.  We would have Moore and used that pick to strengthen our team.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Disagree, especially when you look back at his first two seasons.

Now, the attempt to "fix" Carson Wentz was a mistake, and even Reich himself admits that.

After that, you had the debacle of Matt Ryan which led to Jim Irsay interfering in football decisions and everything going downhill after that.

Then, as others have discussed before, he escapes the shadow of Jim Irsay...and lands with David Tepper, basically the equivalent of getting away from Jeffrey Dahmer only to be captured by Ed Gein.

There are definitely coaching decisions I disagree with (the skill set thing being the biggest) but I'd still say it's pretty hard to be settled either way on Reich given the circumstances.

I don’t remember, how many teams interviewed him that year? Why isn’t he coaching now? 

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

If we got Carr, we would have never traded for 1.  We would have Moore and used that pick to strengthen our team.  

Likely...

10 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I don’t remember, how many teams interviewed him that year? Why isn’t he coaching now? 

Three including us, if I remember correctly.

I know there was a story that he was being offered the Cardinals job. We figured at the time that took him out of the running for us, but that fell apart or something.

As to him not coaching now, he said at the time he took the Panthers job that this was his last go round and he was retiring once it was over. His children and grandchildren all live in this area so the plan was always to stop coaching and just be a family man.

Granted, he likely didn't expect his tenure here to be so short but I doubt that changed his mind.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Likely...

Three including us, if I remember correctly.

I know there was a story that he was being offered the Cardinals job. We figured at the time that took him out of the running for us, but that fell apart or something.

As to him not coaching now, he said at the time he took the Panthers job that this was his last go round and he was retiring once it was over. His children and grandchildren all live in this area so the plan was always to stop coaching and just be a family man.

Granted, he likely didn't expect his tenure here to be so short but I doubt that changed his mind.

I know Tepper sucks and I don’t know much about Irsay, but if he were truly a good coach he could overcome that. Jimmy Johnson did with Jerry Jones right? Like you said he should have told Tepper to kick rocks, should have told Irsay to kick rocks. 

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

I know Tepper sucks and I don’t know much about Irsay, but if he were truly a good coach he could overcome that. Jimmy Johnson did with Jerry Jones right? Like you said he should have told Tepper to kick rocks, should have told Irsay to kick rocks. 

Irsay is lousy when he's sober, worse when he's drunk or high.

Johnson succeeded at a time when there was no salary cap and benefited a lot from the stupidity of the Minnesota GM who agreed to the Herschel Walker deal. He went to Miami with pretty much full control and never got close to that level again.

As to Reich not pushing back though, that part I agree with. Some guys just don't do that...even when they should.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Irsay is lousy when he's sober, worse when he's drunk or high.

Johnson succeeded at a time when there was no salary cap and benefited a lot from the stupidity of the Minnesota GM who agreed to the Herschel Walker deal. He went to Miami with pretty much full control and never got close to that level again.

As to Reich not pushing back though, that part I agree with. Some guys just don't do that...even when they should.

Well said. Good to have you back Scot, I hope you are doing well.