• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich was right / Frank Reich was wrong

Mr. Scot

Looking back at last year, what do we see?

Reich was right...

...to be interested in Derek Carr

...to bench Bryce Young, regardless of the reason 

...to, if you believe this (I do), basically throw up his hands and walk away from the position he found himself in

Reich was wrong...

...to not adapt the offense (particularly blocking schemes) around the skill sets of his players 

...to not fight harder for CJ Stroud

...to assemble an "all star" staff

...to put too many people in charge of quarterback development 

...to trust Thomas Brown with OC duties

...to retain Chris Tabor and James Campen

...to accept the "weekly meetings"

...to listen to suggestions from David Tepper*

* This point lilely factors into several of the above points; which ones depends on who you believe

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Good to see you posting again.

On topic, Reich should have never been hired and Tepper should have went for a younger coach and GM combo then.

Honestly, I see little difference between judging a coach working under David Tepper ans judging an offensive player with Bryce Young as his QB.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Honestly, I see little difference between judging a coach working under David Tepper ans judging an offensive player with Bryce Young as his QB.

Perhaps, but I always felt Reich was the wrong hire. Dude had just got canned from Indy midseason before getting hired here. That was reason enough to go in a different direction.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Carolina Mike said:

To be fair some of those “wrongs” may have been forced upon Reich. I say that, even though I never wanted Reich in the first place.

I'd say several of them probably are.

Now that said, it's also possible he should have fought back in some of those areas harder than he did.

• Beer 2

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Perhaps, but I always felt Reich was the wrong hire. Dude had just got canned from Indy midseason before getting hired here. That was reason enough to go in a different direction.

Same thing though. That requires believing that Jim Irsay made a good decision. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Reich was right...

Meh, I understand why you say that, but watching the game today, Carr is still a guy who would need a very good team around him to win.  And we would not have had it last year.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Reich was right...

...to bench Bryce Young, regardless of the reason 

...to, if you believe this (I do), basically throw up his hands and walk away from the position he found himself in

Reich was wrong...

...to not adapt the offense (particularly blocking schemes) around the skill sets of his players 

...to not fight harder for CJ Stroud

...to assemble an "all star" staff

...to put too many people in charge of quarterback development 

...to trust Thomas Brown with OC duties

...to retain Chris Tabor and James Campen

...to accept the "weekly meetings"

...to listen to suggestions from David Tepper*

* This point lilely factors into several of the above points; which ones depends on who you believe

I think Frank was right 

and a lot of those wrongs, he had no ability to do anything about  thanks to Tepper.  Outside of just quitting/getting fired.  Outside of the the dinosaur should have adjusted more but you hire him to him. 

Option one: Reich was right. BY was not his guy and don’t think he knew what to do with him. Thomas Brown was not his pick and obviously they did not agree.
Tabor and Campen were not his picks either and they were part of the Hunger  Games rumors. 
Reich was a coach being told what to do. When he wanted to put BY in timeout so he could learn, he was told no and fired along with Josh McCown and Staley. It was a hopeless situation. 
The 2023 Panthers were a terrible team and having Dalton play would have made them better but they would have still been bad. 

Edited by thennek
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, I understand why you say that, but watching the game today, Carr is still a guy who would need a very good team around him to win.  And we would not have had it last year.  

That still would have been better than what we ended up with, though.

How much better is debatable, but it's hard to say it could have been worse.