• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic/Diana Russini: What I'm Hearing - "Bryce is Done in Carolina"

Bear Hands

10 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

And Canales had more than 2 games, he was here the entire offseason. I

True.

Why didn't Bryce play in the first two preseason games? Probably because they realized that he wasn't looking or playing well. Why did they finally decide to put him in against the Bills 2nd string? Because it WAS the Bills 2nd string and if there was any chance to give him and the team a shot of needed confidence in Bruce and themselves with him...that was it. "You see ...this is how things could be!"

The hope was it would give them some momentum to carry into the start of the season, but Bryce flopped right out of the gate, with the very first throw. And it just didn't get better. They saw it wouldn't.

I don't think they were surprised that he did poorly. I think they were expecting it. I think the only thing anyone was surprised by was just how bad he was.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.f1465f62434ceecd6eab0a724a75870a.jpeg

I seriously can’t believe there are people who still think this was a Canales decision. 

Actually having been on this board for as long as I have I can believe it but still 

The locker room was turning on him.  Canales preaches this is about the team.   Every player is 1 of 11 on offense and 1 of 11 on defense.  If he kept trotting the kid who clearly can't handle the NFL out there, then that is a slap in the face to every other player out there and every other player would lose faith in Canales and what he says.  It's really not that complicated.  Bryce constantly makes the same mistakes and he's never improved in the slightest.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I already did. I was wrong about Bryce Young and his play translating at the next level. That doesn't mean Tepper should come in and mandate to the coaching staff what they should do. 

Is that what happened or is that what you think happened that you're declaring as fact?  Those are two totally different things.  Also I think the owner would be in the conversation to some degree or another on this decision on any team in the league.  I get people want to blame Tepper for literally everything, but declaring things as facts doesn't make it so.

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I see no issue with the franchise making franchise changing decisions and then moving off from them in less than two years over and over and over...

I do when he's looked like a turd for 18 games. 

The trade was moronic, the selection was unforgivable. Why triple down and continue to start him when he clearly can't play at this level?

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Just what I think happened based on the evidence. It's pretty much spelled out for us by beat reporters who can't come out and say it. 

I'd argue that the locker room is filled with an incredible amount of mistrust and a losing mentality. If the coaching staff tells you one thing and publicly endorses you, then the next day you are benched and your career is over with the team, what does that say to the other players in the locker rooms? 

Why couldn't beat reporters say that tepper played a big impact on the decision?  I'm fairly certain they could say that.  Almost all the best writers I've seen (that aren't upset by the decision) have downplayed teppers involvement.   The people pushing it are national talking heads for content. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

I do when he's looked like a turd for 18 games. 

The trade was moronic, the selection was unforgivable. Why triple down and continue to start him when he clearly can't play at this level?

If would be different if he was showing any signs of NFL talent. He isn't and hasn't.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I also think it's a big difference with what has come out and hearing that Bryce is essentially done in Carolina as opposed to what could have been "allowing time for Bryce to reset" and reevaluating in a few weeks. The whole tone in the interviews with everyone is weird and becomes yet another example as to why free agents will not want to come to Carolina. 

I think it is clear from the minute the decision was made that his time here was done.  That's why this was such a big decision.  If they were planning on this being a temporary refresh they would have made up some sort of injury as they have done in the past with players.  This wasn't made to be veiled in any way.  They've just got to hope Dalton doesn't get hurt because it will create even more of a storm when they call up Plummer or someone if he does.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

I agree, the lack of patience to see things through and give people time has been a real problem that appears to be here to stay

What flashes from Bryce did you see to make you see any possible chance of him becoming an average qb?

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not surprised. When Tepper moves on he tends to turn the page and turn it hard. I have a feeling he was given a number of things to work on in the offseason and showed up clearly haven done none of them.

"But Coach, you put 'grow 4 inches' and 'develop an NFL calibre arm' on my to-do list for the offseason".

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

The media is also completely ignoring we brought in Diontae.

Still acting like we’ve done nothing. We just drafted a WR, RB, and TE in the top 100 and brought in a vet who’s hit 1,000 for a top organization. Overpaid to get a high end IOL. The people soldiering for Bryce in the media are absolutely clueless to what’s been going on.

Yea i keep seeing all these people who have never watched a panthers game bashing the offense as a whole and talking about how bad the oline has been so Bryce doesn't have a chance.  Basically by all metrics so far this season the pass blocking of the oline has been at worst above average.

Just now, OldhamA said:

"But Coach, you put 'grow 4 inches' and 'develop an NFL calibre arm' on my to-do list for the offseason".

LOL

But seriously, I bet he was asked to put on weight, given specific footwork issues to work on, stuff like that. Then showed up same as last year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

But what happens if our older vet QB gets hurt? Bryce is QB2 right now. He is more than likely playing again before the season is over IMO. 

I think the Panthers pray that doesn't happen.  If it does i honestly think they call up Plummer or bring someone else in, but they know the media storm that will cause so they hope Dalton stays healthy so they can keep saying Young is #2.

• Pie 1