• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic/Diana Russini: What I'm Hearing - "Bryce is Done in Carolina"

Bear Hands

Haven't read through the thread, but this one is easy, if he has real trade value, like better than a 4th rounder, then either trade him now or IR him immediately with a stubbed toe or something and trade him after the season.

If we're not going to start him the rest of the way to ensure the #1 pick and he has real trade value right now, we need to get that max value for him and not let him hurt that value more by playing again and sucking, only to be benched again.

• Pie 2

Canales said it was his decision. So I believe it was his decision. People on this board have MAJOR Tepper Derangement Syndrome. Yes I am going to keep using that. 
Tepper isn’t the GM or the coach. DC probably talked with Morgan on Monday. Said he was gonna bench Bryce. Probably told Tepper, since he is the owner, that this is what they are doing and then benched Bryce. 
Tepper didn’t bench Bryce. The HC did. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

I think Canales watched the film and combined with the last game realized it was much worse and had a thought.  Fixing Bryce from the bench would be much easier then allowing the current events to continue.

Brees got benched for 5 games after being the starter for a year and a half.  Steve Young went 3-16 to start his career. 

I don't buy the "how could you ever start him again" nonsense.  Easy.  Dalton gets hurt or he plays average and we don't resign him.  Bring in some legit competition and whomever is better starts.  I'm not saying it'll be Bryce as those 2 games have been pretty bad but is easily could be.

I don't know but I went back and watched his first game from last year and still see flashes and skill.  I don't think he's done.  At the very least, I don't think that giving up on him after what I consider two horrible games after a year of being on one of the worst football teams I've watched is worth a 4th round pick or whatever his current value is.  You could not play him the rest of the year and start someone else next year and you'd still get the same value then, if not more.

For the deference given to Canales in this thread, let's remember that the guy has proven NOTHING and he also may not know what he's doing!

Things could be different if he played all the starters for all three pre-season games. Bryce would've had three games that didn't count to prove the footwork drills etc all set in. He could have flung it as much as he wanted because the stats don't count. A lot more could have been observed in those three games. The Huddle and media both criticized his approach and both are right.

And if Bryce STILL stunk it up in the 2nd week of the season, no one complains that he was benched too early as it would have been 5 games of action not 2.

13 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

For the deference given to Canales in this thread, let's remember that the guy has proven NOTHING and he also may not know what he's doing!

Things could be different if he played all the starters for all three pre-season games. Bryce would've had three games that didn't count to prove the footwork drills etc all set in. He could have flung it as much as he wanted because the stats don't count. A lot more could have been observed in those three games. The Huddle and media both criticized his approach and both are right.

And if Bryce STILL stunk it up in the 2nd week of the season, no one complains that he was benched too early as it would have been 5 games of action not 2.

It's fair to question Canales as a rookie head coach going forward if games get tighter. But from a film breakdown standpoint of last week, the pocket was clean and there were so many open WR's for the qb to hit, that's all on BY and you could feel the frustration from the OL and WR's on numerous occasions. The Raiders game will be very telling, I'm sure even our own staff is curious to see how different it looks with a vet QB just fulfilling his basic assignments vs whatever Bryce was doing the last two weeks. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's fair to question Canales as a rookie head coach going forward if games get tighter. But from a film breakdown standpoint of last week, the pocket was clean and there were so many open WR's for the qb to hit, that's all on BY and you could feel the frustration from the OL and WR's on numerous occasions. The Raiders game will be very telling, I'm sure even our own staff is curious to see how different it looks with a vet QB just fulfilling his basic assignments vs whatever Bryce was doing the last two weeks. 

Agreed on all counts.

The thread just read a bit like the Rhule deference that was here early on, and especially in the back and forth with Bridgewater where everyone sided with Rhule and staff over Teddy just because they hated Teddy's play. Look how that turned out.

4 hours ago, Loyalty4Life said:

I think Canales watched the film and combined with the last game realized it was much worse and had a thought.  Fixing Bryce from the bench would be much easier then allowing the current events to continue.

Brees got benched for 5 games after being the starter for a year and a half.  Steve Young went 3-16 to start his career. 

I don't buy the "how could you ever start him again" nonsense.  Easy.  Dalton gets hurt or he plays average and we don't resign him.  Bring in some legit competition and whomever is better starts.  I'm not saying it'll be Bryce as those 2 games have been pretty bad but is easily could be.

I don't know but I went back and watched his first game from last year and still see flashes and skill.  I don't think he's done.  At the very least, I don't think that giving up on him after what I consider two horrible games after a year of being on one of the worst football teams I've watched is worth a 4th round pick or whatever his current value is.  You could not play him the rest of the year and start someone else next year and you'd still get the same value then, if not more.

You make great points brining up Brees and Steve young, if I remember correctly didn’t Elway get benched early his career too? I just think this case is different. You mention his flashes in week one of last year, he did have some solid throws that game, but didn’t he throw the same pick twice to the same player in what looked like the same play? Both over the middle on a post I believe. He did pretty much the same thing against NO this year on his first pass attempt. Follow that up with another pick against LA in week 2, guess where the INT was…over the middle.

Same problem from week one of last year carried over to this year, but now it’s worse. He can’t throw over the middle because he can’t see over the middle. If you can’t throw without jumping in the air for routine throws over the middle, you can’t start in the NFL. He’s shown no sign of improvement, and yes, he has made some splash throws, but most nfl qbs will do that every once in a while, but that means nothing when the rest of the throws are trash. Could Bryce turn it around like those other players, absolutely. I just think the odds are lower for him, I hope he proves me wrong.