• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic/Diana Russini: What I'm Hearing - "Bryce is Done in Carolina"

Bear Hands

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not saying he plays any better but unless he is traded away, he is probably playing again. Hopefully better but it hasn’t looked promising. 

Who you like in the draft?

Pretty sure Canales will draft his own QB. Wouldn't shock me if it's a off the radar QB. I'm not sold he's gonna take the top guys unless he truly is in love with one of them. I hope we trade back and get some extra picks.

Blaming ownership on “giving up” on Bryce seems wrong to me as well. They hired a full staff late year dedicated to developing a QB, fired them and brought in a new HC with experience belong QBs, overpaid for a massive OL to protect him, traded for DJ, drafted a WR in round 2 last year and 1 this year and his play got worse. When you have players blowing up on the sidelines, commentators taking about how the opposing defense knows the deep ball isn’t an option, you owe it to your fans and team to make a change. I mean it was historically low numbers for a starting QB who looked lost. Benching Bryce helps himself as well. It clearly wasn’t getting better at this moment. 

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I see no issue with the franchise making franchise changing decisions and then moving off from them in less than two years over and over and over...

So looking at this case in isolation, do you think they should continue to start Bryce? And I’m looking at this as a yes or no answer. There has been a lot of things go wrong the last few years, but this is in my opinion not one of them.

• Pie 3

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not surprised. When Tepper moves on he tends to turn the page and turn it hard. I have a feeling he was given a number of things to work on in the offseason and showed up clearly haven done none of them.

My thoughts too.

I remember Canales talking about how proud he was of sticking with the run game in Tampa even when it was bad. He seemed to believe in working through stuff.

This feels like a typical Tepper decision.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not saying he plays any better but unless he is traded away, he is probably playing again. Hopefully better but it hasn’t looked promising. 

Yeah that is all I meant. With the added it will suck hard again.

He is coming back in if that happens. 
He is being paid a king’s ransom to play quarterback for the Panthers.  

I guess people will blame Dalton getting hurt on Tepper somehow.
And anybody that has read my posts will know I am no fan of Tepper. 

Ouch…

“When the Panthers benched Bryce Young, I texted the news to a trusted league source. He quickly responded: “They should bench their program.”

I usually think of college football when I hear “program,” but looking at quarterback development structures through that lens is informative. A program encompasses everything: Environment, support staff, planning, teaching philosophy, and the list goes on. Speak to folks around the league about QB development, and they’ll often mention all of these layers as being essential. Carolina is one side of the coin — Minnesota is the other.”

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I already did. I was wrong about Bryce Young and his play translating at the next level. That doesn't mean Tepper should come in and mandate to the coaching staff what they should do. 

It was a correct and merciful decision. IDGAF if Tepper made the call or not.

• Beer 1

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Who you like in the draft?

Pretty sure Canales will draft his own QB. Wouldn't shock me if it's a off the radar QB. I'm not sold he's gonna take the top guys unless he truly is in love with one of them. I hope we trade back and get some extra picks.

I’d like a bridge QB like Geno Smith and draft a Cam Ward type player. I want to see how Drew Allar plays this year as well. The big thing is letting whoever we draft (if we draft one) sit for a while and learn. Also the season is still very early. Miller Moss is still unknown at this point and his coach knows how to develop QBs. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I also think it's a big difference with what has come out and hearing that Bryce is essentially done in Carolina as opposed to what could have been "allowing time for Bryce to reset" and reevaluating in a few weeks. The whole tone in the interviews with everyone is weird and becomes yet another example as to why free agents will not want to come to Carolina. 

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Just what I think happened based on the evidence. It's pretty much spelled out for us by beat reporters who can't come out and say it. 

I'd argue that the locker room is filled with an incredible amount of mistrust and a losing mentality. If the coaching staff tells you one thing and publicly endorses you, then the next day you are benched and your career is over with the team, what does that say to the other players in the locker rooms? 

It says that Canales reviewed the tape and realized just how horrible it has been. Regarding the second comment, players know the real stories. If they still came here after the past couple of years, and they seemingly are, this situation is not going to change anything.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Just what I think happened based on the evidence. It's pretty much spelled out for us by beat reporters who can't come out and say it. 

I'd argue that the locker room is filled with an incredible amount of mistrust and a losing mentality. If the coaching staff tells you one thing and publicly endorses you, then the next day you are benched and your career is over with the team, what does that say to the other players in the locker rooms? 

It says you are professionals and that performance matters.

• Pie 3

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I’d like a bridge QB like Geno Smith and draft a Cam Ward type player. I want to see how Drew Allar plays this year as well. The big thing is letting whoever we draft (if we draft one) sit for a while and learn. Also the season is still very early. Miller Moss is still unknown at this point and his coach knows how to develop QBs. 

Yep we have a HC who "develops QB's". I think we could get a sleeper QB in the later rounds. We are more than a QB away.

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yep we have a HC who "develops QB's". I think we could get a sleeper QB in the later rounds. We are more than a QB away.

If you do thar, swing for the physical freak. Maybe like that Penn St kid if he comes out. 

• Flames 1