• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic/Diana Russini: What I'm Hearing - "Bryce is Done in Carolina"

Bear Hands

1 minute ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I was actually surprised by how brutal the team post game interviews were towrds Bryce. That's when I knew he had to happen and started prying that it would or this would've set us up for the worst season ever and a mass exodus from Carolina. At least now we have a chance to redeem the Org and show that we're learning from our mistakes (we=Tepper)

There was one shot on the sideline after a drive ended of Bryce walking up to Moton sitting on the bench.  It looked like Moton’s face was saying “Just go sit down man.”

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I still don't think this was a Tepper decision. He would have wanted to play Bryce no matter what in hopes of him turning it around.

It's far more likely Dave Canales initially said he was sticking with Bryce because he knew this, but then saw the tape and talked to a few players and realized he was losing the team and HAD to go to Tepper and say "look, this has to be done."

I sure hope this is what happened. This would be a positive sign that Tepper is letting Football people make decisions.  It does make sense  as we know Reich wanted to bench Young and was not allowed to and was fired shortly after. So if Canales wanted to and Tepper gave the “okay” that is a good thing. 

• Pie 4

27 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

It is all of that plus he wasn't playing like he was being coached. He reverted to his old crappy habits of duck walking backwards while dropping back, locking onto one read, and throwing off of his tippy toes. 

Yeah. That is the biggest thing that says I can’t or won’t. Either one, you can’t or won’t have that in a player. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, thennek said:

I sure hope this is what happened. This would be a positive sign that Tepper is letting Football people make decisions.  It does make sense  as we know Reich wanted to bench Young and was not allowed to and was fired shortly after. So if Canales wanted to and Tepper gave the “okay” that is a good thing. 

Yeah, I much prefer my version of events. Canales woke up Monday morning, marched into everyone's office and said, I know I'm Mr. positivity but wtf??? This experiment is over. Don't make me give you the I'm really interested in what you're saying face!!!

• Pie 1

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.f1465f62434ceecd6eab0a724a75870a.jpeg

I seriously can’t believe there are people who still think this was a Canales decision. 

Actually having been on this board for as long as I have I can believe it but still 

Did he really cater his system to Bryce Young?  Because it looks like Bryce Young is failing to run his offense to me.  If it was catered to Bryce, he wouldn't be expected to stand in the pocket and throw downfield.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.f1465f62434ceecd6eab0a724a75870a.jpeg

I seriously can’t believe there are people who still think this was a Canales decision. 

Actually having been on this board for as long as I have I can believe it but still 

At this point it should be a forgone conclusion that Tepper and Canales and I'm assuming Morgan discussed it following the 2nd loss. Whether or not that discussion resulted in Tepper directly told him to bench Young is a matter of speculation. Regardless I think we can safely assume the locker room was the biggest facilitator of the decision. That's all that matters. In that regard the right call was made no matter how it was ultimately made. It might be something small but it at least is something to give us a little hope.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Verge said:

I see no issue with the franchise making franchise changing decisions and then moving off from them in less than two years over and over and over...

Fair, but if you buy something at the store and when you get home you discover it's broken and your dog ate the receipt what do you do? Keep hoping it works or try to find one that does?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

I see no issue with the franchise making franchise changing decisions and then moving off from them in less than two years over and over and over...

Or you could just admit you were wrong.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 4

9 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I was actually surprised by how brutal the team post game interviews were towards Bryce. That's when I knew it had to happen and started praying that it would or this would've set us up for the worst season ever and a mass exodus from Carolina. At least now we have a chance to redeem the Org and show that we're learning from our mistakes (we=Tepper)

XL doesn't use much body language he just comes out and says things. His interview was blunt as fug main

IMO and IME that type of vibe stems from guys who are bitter about them perceiving a poor performer as not being willing to work to improve. Athletes, at least in the NFL, don't tend to be negative about each other publicly unless they feel like they're being slighted by a guy behaving poorly and/or actively not doing the things to get better.

Can anyone recall/find if the team ever dumped on Clausen? I reference that because he was awful on the field and of course guys got frustrated with that, but he was still around for another 3 years even after the regime changes. That speaks volumes to his attitude, accountability, and behind the scenes work and relationship with his teammates.

Bryce is human and I feel for him on that level. However, at some.point dude has to buck up and recognize his role in this situation.

• Pie 2

Just now, frankw said:

Or you could just admit you were wrong.

I already did. I was wrong about Bryce Young and his play translating at the next level. That doesn't mean Tepper should come in and mandate to the coaching staff what they should do. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I mean ironically this might be history repeating itself in some form. Last season, after week two Reich and his offense/scheme faced a similar situation. Week 3 last year, Bryce magically showed up injured and on the bench out of nowhere iirc. Hell, I think most people thought he got benched that week, "in a nice way".  

Enter Dalton at QB 

The offense now sparks and all of a sudden we have a passing game again. So much so, we broke the franchise record for attempts that game. Our defense just could hold. 

I'd bet the outcome of Sunday's game is going to look similar. At his "worse", Dalton throws 4 picks while throwing over 250 yards.  

The only way that Bryce gets back on that field this year is if injury forced him to be. The tape is really that bad. The mechanics at times, footwork, ball placement, non existing field vision, etc. Some of the plays look so crazy, it's almost as if he was purposely doing it. 

49 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

This part

On the field, the offense is frustrated. One Panthers player said, “Young was making the same mistakes over and over.”
Young was fully aware that he needed to improve, but he was reassured that he was still the guy. The coaching staff told him they were in this together. They told him that “he was fine,” and that they were all on board to reach their goals.
On Monday, it changed.

I’m not defending Bryce. I think he’s cheeks, but was late cam, darnold, and baker all making the same mistakes over and over again? Because they could barely throw for over 100 yards also with different coaches, coordinators, and players. This is a panthers issue imo.