• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic/Diana Russini: What I'm Hearing - "Bryce is Done in Carolina"

Bear Hands

The quarterback was stunned when told he’d been benched. On the field, the offense is frustrated. One Panthers player said, “Young was making the same mistakes over and over.”

Young was fully aware that he needed to improve, but he was reassured that he was still the guy. The coaching staff told him they were in this together. They told him that “he was fine,” and that they were all on board to reach their goals.

It’s over for Bryce Young in Carolina

The NFC South is spicy right now and could have the most wins of any division after three weeks. They also have the Panthers

Things are bad in Carolina right now. After just two games in a new offensive system with a new head coach, the Panthers made a bold decision and pulled the plug on 2023 No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young.

It’s over. No matter what Carolina says, rest assured: It’s over.

This isn’t an experiment.

This isn’t a Ross and Rachel break.

This is Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston over.

On Monday, it changed.

It’s why Young admitted he was surprised by the move — he thought he had more time. First-year head coach David Canales told the world it was his call, but it was hard to find anyone in the league who believed that owner David Tepper had nothing to do with this decision.

History in Carolina tells us that while Tepper has tried to be more hands-off and allow the football people to make the football decisions, it’s never that easy. Even people on the Panthers believe ownership said, enough. “Too much changed from Sunday to Monday,” one source added. Now, veteran Andy Dalton gets a shot at trying to give the offense some life.

Eighteen months ago, Tepper and the Panthers had a choice: Young or C.J. Stroud with the No. 1 overall pick. Tepper and company told people and were convinced that they found their Drew Brees in Young. The height and weight were always an issue for the team, but they were willing to pick outside the prototype quarterback in hopes of hitting the jackpot.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5783024/2024/09/21/jordan-love-justin-herbert-injury-updates-justin-fields-steelers-offense-bryce-young-benching/

And as with any paid site, disclaimer - The Athletic is super cheap to get a subscription - now part of the NYT.  NYT Cooking+The Athletic is worth it. Recommend it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

I think we all know he is done in Carolina. You don't bench the #1 overall pick after 2 weeks. This was a Canales decision folks! He doesn't want Bryce as his future QB point blank.

Cowherd mentioned on his show Friday that his agent is already looking for trades. We both know this relationship is over.

• Pie 2

This part

On the field, the offense is frustrated. One Panthers player said, “Young was making the same mistakes over and over.”
Young was fully aware that he needed to improve, but he was reassured that he was still the guy. The coaching staff told him they were in this together. They told him that “he was fine,” and that they were all on board to reach their goals.
On Monday, it changed.
  • Pie 2

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

This part

On the field, the offense is frustrated. One Panthers player said, “Young was making the same mistakes over and over.”
On Monday, it changed.

Mindless speculation but I wonder if a player low key vented to Tepper.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I mean, yeah.  

All this team has done under Tepper is move on from QBs immediately.  There was never a chance of Bryce playing poorly and sticking around.  I fully expect him to be traded, although unsure if it will be this season or in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Mindless speculation but I wonder if a player low key vented to Tepper.

Bro, you don’t have to vent to Tepper for Tepper to see it. If Tepper reads these boards, he saw that posted during the game. I made a thread that it wasn’t fair to the other 52 guys putting their body on the line for this garbage. 

• Pie 4

It is not an unusual situation in real corporate life where you’re not sure you can make some big decisions before you talk to your boss about it. I believe as soon as Canales understood it was a viable option, it was a no brainer. So in many ways this was a joint decision between him, Tepper, Dan etc. as it impacts the direction of the org long term. I also think they were all aligned as they’d seen enough at this point. 

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, frankw said:

That comment from an anonymous player paired with the night and day vibe change within the locker room speaks volumes.

Yeah between the locker room vibe, Canales says he only cares about the football team, and this article I'm surprised he's even going to be active as the qb2 on Sunday. It's gonna look really awkward. He was also sitting by himself on the bench by the 2nd half last week, can't be doing that as qb1/captain

• Pie 3