• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pats legend Cam Newton speaks on the Panthers benching Bryce Young

CamWhoaaCam

51 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, Bryce is in an O system that no one would claim fits him until it’s what we had.    Football is about fit at the NFL level 

in seasons worth of games he has had multiple HCs, OCs, playcallers, scheme and talent around him.  Paying 2 OGs doesn’t erase the mess they did to him.  And neither HC embraced a unicorn QB. Frank did what Frank does and Canales is the same. 

Young shouldn’t of been drafted but at the same time the Panthers have done every thing they could to get the worst out of him 

Lord lord lord. He couldn’t run the offense they built after asking him what plays he liked from Alabama. 

The speed is too much for him. He thinks he can run away from people but defensive linemen catch him from behind.

We will never know but I’d bet you if you stick him back on Alabama he looks the same as he did when he won player of the year.

IOW he would have plenty of confidence if you put back down playing against guys who 70% of them won’t be drafted   And are just college guys  

If I am pissed at Tepper it isn’t for ruining a guy who was not good enough in the first place. It is for taking him.
It is for that desperate trade.

It is for the different QB per year which now, he still has his streak intact, which is kind of noteworthy. Counting the remnants of Cam in 2019 this is year 6. How about that.  

Edited by strato

38 minutes ago, strato said:

Lord lord lord. He couldn’t run the offense they built after asking him what plays he liked from Alabama. 

The speed is too much for him. He thinks he can run away from people but defensive linemen catch him from behind.

We will never know but I’d bet you if you stick him back on Alabama he looks the same as he did when he won player of the year.

IOW he would have plenty of confidence if you put back down playing against guys who 70% of them won’t be drafted   And are just college guys  

If I am pissed at Tepper it isn’t for ruining a guy who was not good enough in the first place. It is for taking him.
It is for that desperate trade.

It is for the different QB per year which now, he still has his streak intact, which is kind of noteworthy. Counting the remnants of Cam in 2019 this is year 6. How about that.  

Yeah, the whole bologna entering a season people always run with.  This offense was not made for Bryce Young nor should it have been.  And you can’t just dismiss the chaos and then lack of work that existed before the season kicked off. 

again, Bryce Young stinks.  And then, at the same time, everything Carolina did since they drafted him ensured they would get the least amount out of him they could.  Two things can be true. 

we have been here repeatedly.  Where one part of the problem is treated as the problem….despite it being painfully clear Bryce is far from the singular issue.  

We worked ourselves into the worst team in all of pro sports WITHOUT Bryce.  Does no good to let all the other clowns not named Bryce off the hook.   Everyone here once blamed it all on Teddy or all on Joe Brady or all on Rhule or all on Fitterer or all on Frank and now all on Bryce. Same pattern 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Honestly, this is just a popular narrative.  Tepper is a reviled owner in the NFL.  He's a giant douchebag of a human being.  Everyone should take their shots at him.  He can wipes his tears with his billions.

Here's what I have learned from the last few days of sports media hot takes.

1. Bryce is a really nice, likeable kid who is a hard worker.

2. Bryce is extremely religious, which must play well with Canales and Idzik.

3. Bryce has played like putrid poo this season.  Last season there were more problems that weren't Bryce problems.  This season, we don't know enough yet.

4. Tepper has made the Carolina Panthers into a complete shitshow of an organization.  The buck has to stop at the owner.

So where does that leave us?  We still have to play Sunday.  Bryce could have to go back in if something happens to Andy.  That's just the way it is.

I was listening to Dominique Foxworth's podcast (while waiting in line) and he said something very important (he's a smart guy, I liked his show) about beating the Cover 2 defense: Grab your nuts and make a play.  That's what Bryce needs to do.  If he can't, then he doesn't belong.  That's just how it goes.

Personally, I hope that Bryce is able to take some time, put his big ole brain to good use, and get right.  I want us to have a good QB. I want Bryce to make plays.

But if he just can't, it's time to move on.  Though I'd like to see the Panthers slow the F down and let a bridge QB (Dalton or whoever) start for a year and give the rookie a chance to learn how the NFL works instead of trotting them out unprepared for live NFL games against grown men.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, strato said:

Nah. He would have to include Bryce in being part of the problem or I can’t take him seriously, best Panthers QB ever or not.

With this kind of talk, he is a guy with an axe to grind who is incapable of looking at things impartially

Cam? 

WTFE. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Cam? 

WTFE. 

I need to explain that? Okay, one more time:

Cam has an axe to grind. It is known, through other comments and just watching his relationship with the team since Tepper. 

He does not address Bryce's play specifically, just leans into the same stuff of blaming the team, they didn't do enough etc etc

Read or listen to him don't trust me to accurately quote him. 

Until he includes Bryce's responsibility in the situation, he is just axe grinding and not really giving a fair assessment. 

That is what I am saying.

I actually watched this take from Cam yesterday.   No, I am not a Cam hater.  I miss that man on our team as much as I miss Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Delhomme,  Agent 89 etc....  With that said Cam's take has zero substance and is pure emotion.  I am on the side that Bryce got ALL the support this organization could give him this year, and BRYCE pooed the bed.  BRYCE played video games,  watched Netflix and basically screwed off,  after one of the worst season by a rookie NFL QB.   The OLINE was bad last year, but Bryce was hardly abused. Shell shocked my butt.  Weak mentally is probably a better assessment of Bryce young.  Here is a line to Steve Smiths thoughts on the benching and it has a lot more substance than Cam's take.

Starts about 27 minutes in.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, TarHeel69 said:

I actually watched this take from Cam yesterday.   No, I am not a Cam hater.  I miss that man on our team as much as I miss Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Delhomme,  Agent 89 etc....  With that said Cam's take has zero substance and is pure emotion.  I am on the side that Bryce got ALL the support this organization could give him this year, and BRYCE pooed the bed.  BRYCE played video games,  watched Netflix and basically screwed off,  after one of the worst season by a rookie NFL QB.   The OLINE was bad last year, but Bryce was hardly abused. Shell shocked my butt.  Weak mentally is probably a better assessment of Bryce young.  Here is a line to Steve Smiths thoughts on the benching and it has a lot more substance than Cam's take.

Starts about 27 minutes in.

I might not entirely agree with 89 on the subject but at least he is being blunt about what he's seeing and not just tripling down on his original position by blaming every single thing around Young.

• Pie 1

Two things can be true.

Bryce didn't have pieces around him last year, really. He had some, like Thielen and Chuba, but the line sucked. The rest was very meh. Including the coaching and system.

Now, the line is improved and I think our receivers are better and I think our coaching likely is... but Bryce has been too bad to truly tell.

Bryce got the numbers he has this season for a reason, and it isn't because he's just a poor kid playing with the worst supporting cast in the league.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Yeah, the whole bologna entering a season people always run with.  This offense was not made for Bryce Young nor should it have been.  And you can’t just dismiss the chaos and then lack of work that existed before the season kicked off. 

again, Bryce Young stinks.  And then, at the same time, everything Carolina did since they drafted him ensured they would get the least amount out of him they could.  Two things can be true. 

we have been here repeatedly.  Where one part of the problem is treated as the problem….despite it being painfully clear Bryce is far from the singular issue.  

We worked ourselves into the worst team in all of pro sports WITHOUT Bryce.  Does no good to let all the other clowns not named Bryce off the hook.   Everyone here once blamed it all on Teddy or all on Joe Brady or all on Rhule or all on Fitterer or all on Frank and now all on Bryce. Same pattern 

100% agree. Both are true. Bryce has been awful. The Panthers franchise has been awful since he was in high school. It's actually a perfectly toxic marriage.

Bryce needed to be Andrew Luck to overcome the perma-stank on Mint Street. Anything less was always going to fail, which we now see despite what we were sold. Stroud might have had the team at 4-13 or 5-12...100% more wins but lol.

The offense sucks aside from the oline but Young is putrid. He should be doing a lot more even with what he has. But the Panthers are a god awful franchise, Tepper has zero clue. Any good player will bust ass and scratch and claw to look average here at best.

1 hour ago, strato said:

I need to explain that? Okay, one more time:

Cam has an axe to grind. It is known, through other comments and just watching his relationship with the team since Tepper. 

He does not address Bryce's play specifically, just leans into the same stuff of blaming the team, they didn't do enough etc etc

Read or listen to him don't trust me to accurately quote him. 

Until he includes Bryce's responsibility in the situation, he is just axe grinding and not really giving a fair assessment. 

That is what I am saying.

What axe is he grinding?

He's pretty much saying what everyone else in the Nat'l media is saying. It all starts with Tepper. He makes the decisions this team hasn't been competitive since he took over.

Why do our fans keep acting like it's just a QB problem. Sure QB has been terrible, but our team as a whole has been pretty bad over the years. This is a culture thing. We have developed a losing culture under Tepper.

I think what Cam said was fair.