• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brees and Payton template for Young

Jmac

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

When we signed Lewis and Hunt and moved Corbett to G, that was based on the Brees/Payton model.

exactly, but Brees was an actual pocket player.....and Brees didn't have opposing defenses squatting and sitting on the pass game. 

Bryce isn't a pocket QB and he doesn't have an arm to make all the throws in the NFL. 

I think in hindsight, Brees is a lazy comparison we all got sucked into. Yes, Brees wasn't very big.  But the comp ends there. 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

I am with you. I still think if he were able to put it all together it would look good. I just don't think he is mentally strong enough. Hes got no dog in him, just a laid back Cali kid who has always been in positive situations. Not that there is anything wrong with that inherently, you can only face adversary when it presents itself. Its how you respond that matters. I think a big flag pointing to this is the fact that the biggest "adversity" his father could point to was moving from CA to Alabama.  

I got poo'd like crazy for criticizing his "Cali attitude" last year lol, but yeah I agree.

• Pie 1

It wasn’t even just Brees playing badly and then magically turning into an HOF QB with Payton. He struggled his first 2 years as a starter with SD, but then made the Pro Bowl in his 3rd year, led SD to a 12-4 record and a division title. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

So kick a 1st rnd pick to the curb instead of seeing what has worked with other QB's with his stature and arm strength......yes, this poo again 

It is a nice try from the team but you can't expect the same results.

With Brees we are talking about a guy that was still a high level payer just with a diminished arm. Same reason Cam would be better with his diminished arm than. (Young) Points off for a guy who won't even use the pocket, too. 

Plus, the Brees comp is a false positive so to speak. If you honestly factor their weight and height Brees is as close to 6'2 225 as he is to 5'10" 184, totally different class, size wise.  He is right in the middle. 

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, he can't see when the pocket gets tight and close to him.  No way around that.  He has to move where others wouldn't.  Now given his rough start, he just bails and kills plays. 

That little bit right there is a very important piece of the puzzle.  Because BY can't stand in, and is forced to move, it throws off the timing of the pass game.  Timing is incredibly important in NFL offenses.  Footwork is tied to the routes in order to make the timing and progression work.  

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

I know most fans dislike the Saints and Payton, but he figured out Brees. He somehow developed throwing lanes for the short QB.

Brees isn't much taller than young and doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Would it not be worth a shot to see what they did and how it works.

A strong Oline and running backs/WR's to compliment the QB (which they are working towards).

I propose that Canales see how Payton built the offense and developed throwing lanes for the short QB. Developed into a HOF QB by giving Brees a line of sight to see the entire field.

I know the hatred for the Saints/Payton, but he did something right to make Brees a great QB.

Lol, Brees was a top level IQ QB along the lines of Manning and Brady and could read a defense in the blink of an eye and know where to throw it.

Bryce has no idea what he is doing and is just throwing checkdowns to covered backs/receivers max 2 yards down field.

There is a reason that there haven't been many successful QBs that are 5'10" or shorter. You either have to be a really smart, accurate QB (Brees) or a very athletic (Russ). Unfortunately Young is neither.

Edited by PleaseCutStewart

1 hour ago, X-Clown said:

It wasn’t even just Brees playing badly and then magically turning into an HOF QB with Payton. He struggled his first 2 years as a starter with SD, but then made the Pro Bowl in his 3rd year, led SD to a 12-4 record and a division title. 

His and Kurt Warners rise just so happened with the arrival of the two best all purpose rbs in the entire history of the nfl. They proved later in their careers they could still play, but a young player having a once in a lifetime rb does wonders

• Pie 1