• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brees and Payton template for Young

Jmac

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

I just flat out disagree here, I don't think his height factors in at all. Other short QBs have been significantly more successful and able to read the field while countless 6'4 QBs are just like Bryce in terms of inability to see and read the field. 

His height isn't the issue, it's that the super processor we were sold on is more of a UNIVAC I

It’s not the only issue but it’s a big one. 

Height may not matter to all 5’10” guys, but it matters to our 5’10” guy, since he is consistently on his tippy toes and has to jump throw his screen passes. 

It may be all in his head and he is tip toeing unnecessarily…but his height is causing him to play small, and that’s all that matters currently. 

I agree with you though; there is a lot more causing him to struggle too. Not just height. 

It's both. He can't see enough and he isn't talented enough to do what the other short QBs could. On his first interception he never saw the safety that picked him off. Also the film breakdown shows him having to jump to be able to throw over thr line. It's both.

Not sure that it matters but I think the overall height of our OL increase a little this year. Hunt is 6'6" and is the RG. I think Lewis is the same height is Zavala. Not sure right off on the height difference between Bozeman and Corbett but I know Icky/Moton are like 6'4/6'5".

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

So kick a 1st rnd pick to the curb instead of seeing what has worked with other QB's with his stature and arm strength......yes, this poo again 

Brees' arm was stronger than Bryce's early in his career. it wasn't until the end that he had that problem and that's when his game finally dropped off.

I also don't think Bryce is 5'10 like they say. He looks more like 5'8. The hair s about 2 inches in this photo. 

2023 NFL combine | Page 2 | 49ers Webzone Forum

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s not the only issue but it’s a big one. 

Height may not matter to all 5’10” guys, but it matters to our 5’10” guy, since he is consistently on his tippy toes and has to jump throw his screen passes. 

It may be all in his head and he is tip toeing unnecessarily…but his height is causing him to play small, and that’s all that matters currently. 

I agree with you though; there is a lot more causing him to struggle too. Not just height. 

it's poor technique because he's rattled by NFL pass rush and has zero confidence at all from all the struggles last year and now this year, it's not because he's trying to see over the line lol. Kyler is every bit as short as bryce and has never had this issue at all. he has some other issues but is generally an above average QB and not affected by his height. Baker, Brees, Wilson, other short QBs too who have not had this issue. Bryce just sucks, it's not his height. His arm strength is an absolute joke though, and in hindsight should've been a big reason to not even have him on our draft board, let alone in consideration for 1st fuging overall

I listened to a podcast this morning where Jay Gruden was talking about his QBs from his coaching career. Interesting note:

• Bengals picked Dalton because they needed somebody to start right away and he was the most pro-ready and had great ability to pick things up quickly and adjust. (Maybe why Reich chose him as the mentor last year).

There's an interview with Brady from a while back where he discusses that QBs don't get time to develop anymore. QBs come straight into the league to compete so the playbooks get simpler and simpler each year. I think we see that now, if anyone has paid attention to offenses efficiencies the last few weeks.

I don't think this was Bryce's issue though. I think he just simply doesn't have the physical tools to be an NFL QB and now his confidence is gone so he regressed. He may make a great coach or coordinator one day but I think he just simply doesn't have the skills to be a QB at the pro level. 

18 minutes ago, t96 said:

I just flat out disagree here, I don't think his height factors in at all. Other short QBs have been significantly more successful and able to read the field while countless 6'4 QBs are just like Bryce in terms of inability to see and read the field. 

His height isn't the issue, it's that the super processor we were sold on is more of a UNIVAC I

I don't know the % of how big a deal it is, but it's undeniable when he is in the pocket he can't see some things unfold at times.  QB School  has a great example vs the Chargers.  He clearly couldn't see the wide open WR for a score because of where the line stood.  There was an example early in that game too....where he just couldn't see and just bails out.    

Bryce isn't just short.  He is the smallest QB in the modern era. 

I mean, he can't see when the pocket gets tight and close to him.  No way around that.  He has to move where others wouldn't.  Now given his rough start, he just bails and kills plays. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

I don't know the % of how big a deal it is, but it's undeniable when he is in the pocket he can't see some things unfold at times.  QB schools has a great example vs the Chargers.  He clearly couldn't see the wide open WR for a score because if where the line stood. 

Bryce isn't just short.  He is the smallest QB in the modern era. 

5'10" is also about as accurate as him being 200 lbs.  That's a WWE billed height and weight.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Unpopular truth here: Bryce's struggles have NOTHING to do with his height. He can't see the field, makes terrible decisions and throws, with terrible footwork because he's a terrible NFL QB, not because he's short.

I am with you. I still think if he were able to put it all together it would look good. I just don't think he is mentally strong enough. Hes got no dog in him, just a laid back Cali kid who has always been in positive situations. Not that there is anything wrong with that inherently, you can only face adversary when it presents itself. Its how you respond that matters. I think a big flag pointing to this is the fact that the biggest "adversity" his father could point to was moving from CA to Alabama.