• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brees and Payton template for Young

Jmac

When a QB has an average or worse arm they need to get every bit of juice out of the arm with efficient and consistent throwing mechanics.  Brees' footwork and throwing mechanics were his obsession and his work ethic was close to legendary. 

For any shot at redemption Bryce needs to dial in his footwork to perfection.  That should help maximize his arm strength and increase his accuracy.  Until that happens (which is unlikely), I'm writing him off.  Even if he does, I still think the ceiling is nowhere near Brees unless some of that "elite processing" starts to show too. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

after 18 games and i saw it in game one, his terrible drop back is getting attention. this ain't high school. dude has been coddled his entire life. his gf broke up with him. dude is mentally 13 years old. he ain't it.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

and he was the most accurate qb in nfl history its always been a stupid comparison

1579800356_AnotherBryceBreakdown-Page4-CarolinaPanth.thumb.png.138230fbf430aad32be568dab6a24d90.png
Especially since eye level matters more than height and Bryce has a lower eye level even if he’s only a couple inches shorter. Stroud is 3 inches taller but Brees’ eye level is just a tiny bit lower. Brees is only 2 inches taller than Young but his eye level is closer to Stroud than Young. It’s like the 205 or whatever Bryce weighed at the combine before he peed and pooped 2 pounds off.

We drafted a crazy outlier and his arm is just not good enough and if we waste any more years trying to see if some special offense might make him an NFL QB, that would be incredibly stupid.

I think one of the problems we have is thinking Brees provides a blueprint for Bryce.  He doesn't.  

Because the late stage Brees you are looking at as comparable.....was a HOF QB by that stage (HOF brain, experience, etc)....and was a pure pocket player his entire career.  

Bryce is coming from this modern era of college football.  He isn't a pocket player like Brees was as a young player.  And Brees was a big downfield gambler early in his career.  Opposing defenses weren't able scheme and sit on the pass game in the same manner all game.  

• Beer 1

39 minutes ago, Jmac said:

I propose that Canales see how Payton built the offense and developed throwing lanes for the short QB. Developed into a HOF QB by giving Brees a line of sight to see the entire field.

They didn’t create ‘throwing lanes’ for Brees. They just ensured a clean pocket.

He is 2 inches taller than Bryce, kept his eyes downfield, and had great footwork and accuracy.

All things Bryce doesn’t do.

• Flames 2

Mac Jones and Pickett are better comparisons and they are both more talented QBs. He is a bust and if he keeps up his attitude he won't even be a backup because he is going to have to put in tons of work to just hit that level.

Unpopular truth here: Bryce's struggles have NOTHING to do with his height. He can't see the field, makes terrible decisions and throws, with terrible footwork because he's a terrible NFL QB, not because he's short.

• Beer 3

Just now, t96 said:

Unpopular truth here: Bryce's struggles have NOTHING to do with his height. He can't see the field, makes terrible decisions and throws, with terrible footwork because he's a terrible NFL QB, not because he's short.

I mean, part of the reason he can't see the field.....is his height. 

he needs a Bama pocket.  Which doesn't exist in the NFL.  Because that wasn't really playing in the a pocket. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Agreed. His problems go well beyond his height. His lack of elite attributes is a much bigger issue than the height.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, part of the reason he can't see the field.....is his height. 

he needs a Bama pocket.  Which doesn't exist in the NFL.  Because that wasn't really playing in the a pocket. 

I just flat out disagree here, I don't think his height factors in at all. Other short QBs have been significantly more successful and able to read the field while countless 6'4 QBs are just like Bryce in terms of inability to see and read the field. 

His height isn't the issue, it's that the super processor we were sold on is more of a UNIVAC I

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

I just flat out disagree here, I don't think his height factors in at all. Other short QBs have been significantly more successful and able to read the field while countless 6'4 QBs are just like Bryce in terms of inability to see and read the field. 

His height isn't the issue, it's that the super processor we were sold on is more of a UNIVAC I

If his height isnt an issue then why does he have to bounce on his toes to see over the middle?

• Beer 1