• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday Night Football. The Patriots are doing it right with their rookie QB.

3 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

We need a statistician expert to do analysis on rookie QBs that sat for at least 1 year and had relative success during their NFL careers. Of course barring any injury that shortened their career. It would determine if sitting and learning is beneficial to long term success. 

this has been done before and there's really nothing significant one way or the other. there is actually very little data of top 5 picks that sit for an entire year+ most are later picks. I'm personally an advocate of having QBs sit and develop like Mahomes, Rodgers, Love did for example, however I don't think that should be a blanket policy and there are so many factors it depends on. Largely, who your other QB is. Having a Smith/Favre/Rodgers bridge QB makes sitting the rook very easy. Having a Davis Mills/Case Keenum while the rook looks incredible makes it a very different decision, and obviously nobody anywhere is saying Stroud should've sat last year. Or that Cam should've sat year 1.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

43 minutes ago, t96 said:

this has been done before and there's really nothing significant one way or the other. there is actually very little data of top 5 picks that sit for an entire year+ most are later picks. I'm personally an advocate of having QBs sit and develop like Mahomes, Rodgers, Love did for example, however I don't think that should be a blanket policy and there are so many factors it depends on. Largely, who your other QB is. Having a Smith/Favre/Rodgers bridge QB makes sitting the rook very easy. Having a Davis Mills/Case Keenum while the rook looks incredible makes it a very different decision, and obviously nobody anywhere is saying Stroud should've sat last year. Or that Cam should've sat year 1.

i never want to see another panthers rookie qb touch the field before the bye week. starting a qb right away is just playing against the odds. there is really no upside to it. It's not a short cut to getting experience faster because you're basically drowning the first couple games anyways and really they're likely to just get hurt or shell shocked. zero upside to risking it.

houston got lucky with stroud. they could've waited until the bye week and he'd still be the same player he is now, if not better. 

35 minutes ago, dxpanther said:

i never want to see another panthers rookie qb touch the field before the bye week. starting a qb right away is just playing against the odds. there is really no upside to it. It's not a short cut to getting experience faster because you're basically drowning the first couple games anyways and really they're likely to just get hurt or shell shocked. zero upside to risking it.

houston got lucky with stroud. they could've waited until the bye week and he'd still be the same player he is now, if not better. 

well be prepared to be disappointed lol. couldn't disagree more with this take but so be it

You have to go by the player.

If he shows you he can compete; it isn't too fast for him and he isn't mentally overwhelmed, he will probably get better playing instead of watching. 

There is nothing like being on the clock in with others that are really good. I mean, you might be the worst one, but if you can keep from getting fired you will get a great education. So you have to learn fast, it forces you to. 

Some of what Young has seen he hasn't had time to process, he is overwhelmed. He needs to reflect and chill for a while.