• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article Speculation Being Reposted as a “Rumor”: Johnson (WR) on Trading Block

MHS831

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/diontae-johnson-nfl-trade-rumors-news/

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-named-trade-spot-panthers-diontae-johnson

These trade rumors are just speculation at this point, but it is an interesting idea. I have seen this rumor on a few sites, but sometimes it starts with one and then it is copied.  However, it makes sense.  Johnson has a rep for being a "problem child" in Pittsburgh which is why he was so cheap via trade (Panthers gave a sixth for Johnson and a seventh).  He is on a one-year deal, and if the Panthers continue to struggle, he could be an interesting trade option before the NFL trade deadline.  I expect the new QB situation to elevate his stock, but if XL shows signs of being a legit WR under Dalton, is it possible that we trade Johnson and move XL up?  There are many reasons we had to get Young out of there-could this be one? 

We could then bring up Coker  from the PS and possibly draft a WR with the pick we get.  Just thinking out loud.

Hoping that this has not bee discussed already--I just stumbled across it.

Both of those links refer to the same source. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10135604-2024-nfl-trade-block-big-board-entering-week-3

It's not a rumor, it's a suggestion as stated here:

"Still, the 28-year-old will be a free agent next offseason and could be a valuable trade chip if Carolina continues to flounder.

Receiver-needy teams could use Johnson, who caught 51 passes for 717 yards and five touchdowns as the Pittsburgh Steelers' No. 2 receiver last year. "

1 minute ago, jb2288 said:

There’s just no need at all to make any moves. We have no idea our actual situation for another 2-3 weeks

yeah you cannot properly evaluate a team with such bad Qb play makes no sense to assume...just saying

This isn't a team that's going to have a magical turnaround and he was brought in to give Young more help which is a moot point now even if it's going to take time for the crowd to catch up. At this point get draft capital and play the young guys. 

I didn't like the idea of signing him long-term yet and I did want to see how he looked when the D wasn't having it's way with Young's brain. People rave about him but he is already in his 6th year and only had 1x1000 yard+ season. I get his upside because it's there but he is also in a contract year on a team that didn't make it 3 games before imploding. For the right price I don't know how they can say no to a good offer for him. 

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I'd be pretty angry if I had Bryce Young *not throwing me the ball.

I thought you were a word short.

Get ready for Dalton to Diontae showcase game.

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/diontae-johnson-nfl-trade-rumors-news/

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-named-trade-spot-panthers-diontae-johnson

These trade rumors are just speculation at this point, but it is an interesting idea. I have seen this rumor on a few sites, but sometimes it starts with one and then it is copied.  However, it makes sense.  Johnson has a rep for being a "problem child" in Pittsburgh which is why he was so cheap via trade (Panthers gave a sixth for Johnson and a seventh).  He is on a one-year deal, and if the Panthers continue to struggle, he could be an interesting trade option before the NFL trade deadline.  I expect the new QB situation to elevate his stock, but if XL shows signs of being a legit WR under Dalton, is it possible that we trade Johnson and move XL up?  There are many reasons we had to get Young out of there-could this be one? 

We could then bring up Coker  from the PS and possibly draft a WR with the pick we get.  Just thinking out loud.

Hoping that this has not bee discussed already--I just stumbled across it.

If we could get something for him, I don't see a reason not to do it.  Let the young guys play with an average qb and see what we've got in them.  He's a free agent and not coming back after this season anyways. We would lose a little on the field this season I guess but helps in the long run and we need to use this season to evaluate the rest of the team, which is why Bryce was benched in the first place.  He was playing too bad to even tell how good or bad every other player on the team might be playing. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

That is my take. if Johnson has a good year, he will want to be paid a lot.  if he has a bad year, we aren't re-signing him.  We have him for 15 more games, so if we can get XL ready, bring up Coker-I think we could have a good WR group. 

There is basically next to no chance Johnson re-signs with us unless we pay him like an elite WR.

If he does his part we might get lucky with two contenders having WR crises. Get some bidding started up. 

And yeah he was brought here for Bryce Young. That role doesn't exist any more and we can finish last without him. Time for 'It's a business'. 

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, TD alt said:

The Rams aren't trading for Johnson. Hell, there's speculation that Stafford and the Rams might come to an agreement to send him to his place of choice. 

If that happens, we need to poo on Fitterer more. I didn’t foresee the Rams having an amazing 2023 draft and season but we would have had their 2025 1st and 2nd.