• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article Speculation Being Reposted as a “Rumor”: Johnson (WR) on Trading Block

MHS831

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/diontae-johnson-nfl-trade-rumors-news/

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-named-trade-spot-panthers-diontae-johnson

These trade rumors are just speculation at this point, but it is an interesting idea. I have seen this rumor on a few sites, but sometimes it starts with one and then it is copied.  However, it makes sense.  Johnson has a rep for being a "problem child" in Pittsburgh which is why he was so cheap via trade (Panthers gave a sixth for Johnson and a seventh).  He is on a one-year deal, and if the Panthers continue to struggle, he could be an interesting trade option before the NFL trade deadline.  I expect the new QB situation to elevate his stock, but if XL shows signs of being a legit WR under Dalton, is it possible that we trade Johnson and move XL up?  There are many reasons we had to get Young out of there-could this be one? 

We could then bring up Coker  from the PS and possibly draft a WR with the pick we get.  Just thinking out loud.

Hoping that this has not bee discussed already--I just stumbled across it.

• Pie 2

Just now, Dorian Gray said:

I'd rather see XL get experience and develop than Johnson anyway so if you can get something for him, go for it.

That is my take. if Johnson has a good year, he will want to be paid a lot.  if he has a bad year, we aren't re-signing him.  We have him for 15 more games, so if we can get XL ready, bring up Coker-I think we could have a good WR group. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

At this point I don't even care.

I just want competitive football for a change. 

It kinda pissed me off at first--these large market team reporters treating the Panthers like a farm team---but it might be a good move.  Johnson cost us nothing to get, his salary is not prohibitive for 2024, and we have a first rounder we are developing--I doubt he is re-signed anyway.  We are not making the playoffs, so make the trade when you think XL has enough knowledge.

• Pie 2

No point in it right now unless some team goes crazy with an offer. Let him play with Dalton and wait for contenders to increase demand as injuries are inevitable. All while evaluating if he's a keeper. 

Seems obvious 

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

feed him and he'll be alright.

I don't want to trade him....but I don't want Johnson and AT eating that much.  Serves zero point with Andy now playing.  Andy needs to be throwing to AT, Mingo and Saunders. 

The acquisition of Diontae was always a rental that could possibly turn into a long term situation if he's the right fit. That all remains to be seen. Let's get a look Sunday at how he plays with Dalton and go from there.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1